Favero assioma duo shi

MichaelB

Re: Favero assioma duo shi

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:30 am

nickobec wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:00 am
trailgumby wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:05 pm
I hope they do speedplay and MTB SPD sooner rather than later.
Speedplay power pedals are available from Wahoo

SPD from Favero Assioma, there is a well documented hack to get SPD power pedals from a regular pair of Favero Assioma. Replace the Look cycling body (which is made by Xpedo) with a certain Xpedo SPD pedal body. GPlama did a video on it and is still using the resulting SPD pedals.

I might be tempted to create a pair, if Facero repeat their black friday sale.
So did you do it Nickobec ?

May be an option that I am exploring for the ICAN all rounder if I want some gravel gearing

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:30 am
nickobec wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

SPD from Favero Assioma, there is a well documented hack to get SPD power pedals from a regular pair of Favero Assioma. Replace the Look cycling body (which is made by Xpedo) with a certain Xpedo SPD pedal body. GPlama did a video on it and is still using the resulting SPD pedals.

May be an option that I am exploring for the ICAN all rounder if I want some gravel gearing

I ride with someone who has done it. Reliable and happy with it and has run them for quite some time.

I got Garmin Vector 3 reconditioned pedals from PBK and got the Rally spd bodies from bike bug.
Very good. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:08 pm

nickobec wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

Yep, I am now the not so proud owner of a pair.

Wahoo have seriously screwed up the design of the pedal body.

They have upgraded the metal bow tie to a 360 degree ring, with a view to reducing wear-induced cleat instability. All very admirable, except the metal ring now overhangs the plastic pedal body by 0.2 to 0.3mm, creating a catch point. The catch point gets much worse if you have varus wedging under the cleat like me.

Because of their double-sided entry, light and tunable float action, wide variety of available positioning with extender plates, and low stack height they have been a favourite of bike fitters looking to keep people with anatomical issues on bikes. It seems the design engineers have completely ignored the very sophisticated design of (what they are now calling) the legacy Speedplay pedal body. The extender plates are now no longer available from the OEM either.

What they now have is functionally quite the inferior product compared to what Speedplay used to produce.

To avoid having pedals that won't release I have been force to Dremel off 0.2mm to 0.3mm off the outer circumference, so that I don't tip over and fall under the wheels of passing cars when I have to make a stop.

Other than trying to kill you at the traffic lights, the power monitoring performance is excellent.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:42 pm

MichaelB wrote:
nickobec wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

So further to the GPLama vid and the initial data source, Here at Trainerroad

I've reproduced below some of the key data to help those that are interested - there are some VERY useful images, schematics and tips within, but from what I can glean, the key facts are these ;

- You can use either UNO or DUO versions, depending if you want single or double power measurements
- You can buy from Favero direct either complete pedal pairs, complete axle pairs (DUO) or jus Single axle UNO (the site isn't clear what you get if you just buy the Left axle - but you can always email them)
- Decent spread of pedal options available Not a complete list and some flat pedal options work too)

xPedo
M-Force 4 - These don’t appear to be available
M-Force 8 - Available but expensive and there seems to be a lot of poor user reviews.
CXR - Needs locktite and can’t be torqued up without binding so not ideal if swapping back and forth between SPD and Road pedal bodies
TVRS Duo

Bontrager Comp - I think these are a straight and easy swap

Wellgo M19 - I think these are a straight and easy swap

ISSI Flash/Flip/Trail 3 - straight easy swap but must be v III

Shimano
PD M8000
PD A600
PD M520
PD EH500

If you have any more questions, consult the trainerroad link, as it's still going and discovering new variants.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:42 pm
MichaelB wrote:
nickobec wrote:

So further to the GPLama vid and the initial data source, Here at Trainerroad

I've reproduced below some of the key data to help those that are interested - there are some VERY useful images, schematics and tips within, but from what I can glean, the key facts are these ;

- You can use either UNO or DUO versions, depending if you want single or double power measurements
- You can buy from Favero direct either complete pedal pairs, complete axle pairs (DUO) or jus Single axle UNO (the site isn't clear what you get if you just buy the Left axle - but you can always email them)
- Decent spread of pedal options available Not a complete list and some flat pedal options work too)

xPedo
M-Force 4 - These don’t appear to be available
M-Force 8 - Available but expensive and there seems to be a lot of poor user reviews.
CXR - Needs locktite and can’t be torqued up without binding so not ideal if swapping back and forth between SPD and Road pedal bodies
TVRS Duo

Bontrager Comp - I think these are a straight and easy swap

Wellgo M19 - I think these are a straight and easy swap

ISSI Flash/Flip/Trail 3 - straight easy swap but must be v III

Shimano
PD M8000
PD A600
PD M520
PD EH500

If you have any more questions, consult the trainerroad link, as it's still going and discovering new variants.
Thanks for this. Just checked the Trainerroad thread and the Shimano PD-ES600 pedals work as well (apparently no modification of a Shimano Mtb shoe was required either).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:57 pm

NP - for me, I'm just trying not to rush out and do it !!!

Need to restrain myself and sell the Vigorelli frame 1st ! Might give it a proper clean later tonight to get something done as going a bit crazy in the heat. Still going to be bloody hot and 40 again tomorrow :-(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:10 pm

Looking at some of the pricing, and apart from stock levels, it appears that the Assioma PM’s are cheapest at Favero themselves, despite a hefty €43 shipping cost !

I’ve sent a query to them what is revived with just the Left UNO axle (half the price of the full pedal duo set, and the DUO axle set is about €75 cheaper than the pedal set.

Here is a listing : (Favero highlighted in Green, as generally cheaper and from original supplier, so warranty and tech assistance should be better)

DUO Shi Axle Kit A$908 posted (flebay - auscycling)
DUO Shi Axle kit - A$857 posted (BikeInn)
DUO Shi Axle kit - A$861 posted (Lorgun)
DUO Shi Axle kit - A$836 posted (Favero shop)

UNO Shi LEFT Axle only - A$511 posted (Favero shop)
UNO Shi LEFT PEDAL only - A$589 posted (Favero shop)

DUO Shi Pedal kit - A$857 posted (BikeInn)
DUO Shi Pedal kit - A$953 posted (Favero shop)
DUO Shi Pedal kit - A$995 posted (Wiggle)

UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$640 posted (Wiggle)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$639 posted (Bike Inn)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$599 posted (Bike Bug - out of stock)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$599 posted (Pushys - out of stock)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$597 posted (Lordgun - out of stock)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$634 posted (Favero Shop)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:10 pm
Looking at some of the pricing, and apart from stock levels, it appears that the Assioma PM’s are cheapest at Favero themselves, despite a hefty €43 shipping cost !

I’ve sent a query to them what is revived with just the Left UNO axle (half the price of the full pedal duo set, and the DUO axle set is about €75 cheaper than the pedal set.

Here is a listing : (Favero highlighted in Green, as generally cheaper and from original supplier, so warranty and tech assistance should be better)

DUO Shi Axle Kit A$908 posted (flebay - auscycling)
DUO Shi Axle kit - A$857 posted (BikeInn)
DUO Shi Axle kit - A$861 posted (Lorgun)
DUO Shi Axle kit - A$836 posted (Favero shop)

UNO Shi LEFT Axle only - A$511 posted (Favero shop)
UNO Shi LEFT PEDAL only - A$589 posted (Favero shop)

DUO Shi Pedal kit - A$857 posted (BikeInn)
DUO Shi Pedal kit - A$953 posted (Favero shop)
DUO Shi Pedal kit - A$995 posted (Wiggle)

UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$640 posted (Wiggle)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$639 posted (Bike Inn)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$599 posted (Bike Bug - out of stock)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$599 posted (Pushys - out of stock)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$597 posted (Lordgun - out of stock)
UNO Shi Pedal kit - A$634 posted (Favero Shop)

The vector3 from pbk with pedal bodies from bikebug/pushys if on special will be about $1k or a bit over.
No worries about that big lump on the assiomas requiring a wider q factor or taking to the shoe with a dremel.
Not sure if PBK will have them back though.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:45 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:44 pm
The vector3 from pbk with pedal bodies from bikebug/pushys if on special will be about $1k or a bit over.
No worries about that big lump on the assiomas requiring a wider q factor or taking to the shoe with a dremel.
No PM Pedals on PBK at all.

Only thing with the Garmin pedals is the XC200 Rally version are, as pointed out by others, a LARGE lump of pedal, but also seem to be much more expensive than the equivalent Assioma DUO - like close to $500 more !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:58 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:45 am
warthog1 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:44 pm
No PM Pedals on PBK at all.

Only thing with the Garmin pedals is the XC200 Rally version are, as pointed out by others, a LARGE lump of pedal, but also seem to be much more expensive than the equivalent Assioma DUO - like close to $500 more !
Yeah none at the moment.
https://www.probikekit.com.au/cycling-p ... 04268.html
I have bought 2 pair though and they have been oos before.

The rally bodies are a bit bigger I guess.

Personally I'll take that over that vulnerable looking, q factor widening, lump on the inside of the assiomas.
Last edited by warthog1 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:43 am

Meh, can’t do either atm.

Reports re damage issues are that they are hardy unless true MTB’ing

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm

The bloke I ride with sometimes (when I can hang on) who has assiomas and rates them.
Either will work.
Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm
The bloke I ride with sometimes (when I can hang on) who has them rates them.
Either will work.
At $1,500 min, more than $500 more than the equivalent Assioma version, it’d want to be MUCH better.

Like I said, due to the bad juju monkey visit, can’t afford either atm, even a s/h Assioma UNO version :(

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:07 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm
The bloke I ride with sometimes (when I can hang on) who has them rates them.
Either will work.
At $1,500 min, more than $500 more than the equivalent Assioma version, it’d want to be MUCH better.

Like I said, due to the bad juju monkey visit, can’t afford either atm, even a s/h Assioma UNO version :(
Sorry edited my post as it wasn't clear. Assiomas is what he has.
No, they can stick the $1500- price in their nether regions.
Only valid at a similar price via the refurbished vectors if pbk gets more.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:35 am

Got a reply from Favero re their UNO Shi LEFT Axle only - A$511 posted (Favero shop).

It basically is a 'replacement' axle and doesn't include any other bits. So if you are starting from scratch, the UNO Pedal or the DUO Axle kit are the cheapest entry point for either option.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:06 pm

I find it mildly amusing the concern about the "Q" factor with the Favero pedals. I noticed no difference in the pedalling action and there has been plenty of testing that shows it's practically fallacy for any problems. You can also move your cleats across a little more if you really think that they change your seated dynamics.

They also do axles only that you can use the Shimano pedal structure on with no impact for readings. These are just something for consideration for anyone looking at using other platforms other than the full sets. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:06 pm
I find it mildly amusing the concern about the "Q" factor with the Favero pedals. I noticed no difference in the pedalling action and there has been plenty of testing that shows it's practically fallacy for any problems. You can also move your cleats across a little more if you really think that they change your seated dynamics.

They also do axles only that you can use the Shimano pedal structure on with no impact for readings. These are just something for consideration for anyone looking at using other platforms other than the full sets. :idea:

Foo
Watch this from 17 min in;

Widening the pedals doesn't make pedal strke less likely when cornering.
I would also rather not hack my shoes like that.
I avoided doing so for a similar price via refurbished vector 3's.
May not be available again though :(
The plastic lump looks pretty vulnerable to me in a gravel setting. My aluminium crank arms on the gravelly have evidence of some hits at the ends alongside where that bulb would be mounted.

Not saying I wouldn't have them, just that the garmins have advantages and therefore make sense if the price is similar.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 am

I watched that vid when I was researching the pedals for my road and track bikes. Not that pedantic about off road readings and shoes but my dirt shoes don't have those big mud catching turds on the sides like those. :shock:

There's also no compromising of the sole integrity with what he did. You could do a nice tidy up job so that it looked like they came like that, if you are concerned about what the bottom of the shoe looks like but I'm not that OCD about soles because they get knocked about anyway. :mrgreen:

Refurbed pedals like you managed to get is a good and slightly cheaper option, especially if they give a good warranty with them. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:13 am

Jasonc spotted them 8) :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:25 pm

Well, managed to get some DUO Shi axle kit for $719 delivered (arrived at Adel airport this morning at 9am) and now just trying to sort out the pedals.

Crazily, the only realistically priced AND available option are the venerable M520 pedals. Everything else is either out of stock or stoopid prices !!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:57 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:25 pm
Well, managed to get some DUO Shi axle kit for $719 delivered (arrived at Adel airport this morning at 9am) and now just trying to sort out the pedals.

Crazily, the only realistically priced AND available option are the venerable M520 pedals. Everything else is either out of stock or stoopid prices !!
Pushys have the XT, XTR and M-540 pedals in stock as well.

https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-pd-m5 ... ilver.html

https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-xt-pd ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-xtr-p ... lsrc=aw.ds

I actually went with the M520 though. Because every review I found described the higher spec pedals as 'not worse' than the M520. And they're all 2-3 times the price.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:27 am

$719 delivered sounds really good, and an excellent option for road and gravel.. it might be a pain if you're crossing between the two regularly?

FB marketplace is flooded with second hand pedals (SPD & SPD-SL) that can be picked up pretty cheap too..

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:33 pm

Mr Purple - was almost going to go the black M520, but then needed to ‘fill up’ the basket and there was nothing else required. Only other local shops with stock had them at $80 !!

Vbplease - it’s by far the best price by $100 (delivered) that I could find.
Looked at the marketplace, but those available looked pretty trashed.

In the end, got some ES600 from Taiwan (have used the seller before).

Chose the SPD pedal route due to some off-road, but also commuting makes it easier too

Should be good.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:38 am

:D Gotta say, it’s well packaged

ImageImageImageImage

So basically, it ended up being $100 cheaper than Pushys, and about $130 cheaper than Favero direct.

Won’t be doing anything over the next week or two until the pedals arrive, but might get the cranks sorted

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 am

Who'd you order from? That seems like a decent deal, though I sort of promised myself I wouldn't be measuring power on my gravel bike I do miss it!

Looks like Favero only say to use the PD-M540 or 550 for the conversion. Pretty sure that's not correct, but wasn't sure if you knew.