Varia RCT715 Radar/Camera

warthog1

Re: Varia RCT715 Radar/Camera

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:50 am

^^thanks for the feedback.
I'd like a camera at some point. Still get the occasional malicious close pass I would like it for.
Am not going without the radar to do so however. It is far more important for my use.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

grt046

Postby grt046 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:49 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:04 pm
jasonc wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:48 pm
most of my ride is along a freeway

even though it's annoying for those 20-odd minutes, it still alerts me to overspeed e-devices approaching. it then comes into it's own on quieter roads
Is that an output from the Varia/Garmin ?

Interesting.

@warthog1 - for those low density/high approach speed areas, agree 100%.

The other location that I found the radar useful when trailing it, was when climbing on some quiet back roads with low traffic. I often didn't hear some vehicles. Not that they were speeding, quite the opposite sometimes, it's just that I wasn't always aware.
I have this field added to my garmin activity
https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/c5d9 ... b871e9e733
Thanks to all the positive feedback on this site for the Garmin Varia radar I decided to join you and recently purchased a RTL515 (Missed the super discount jasonc mentioned but got one from 99 bikes locally for $299)
Being an old guy, hearing impaired with restricted head movement making head and shoulder turns less than ideal, I have found the benefits of Varia fantastic.
Reading DCRainmaker's review and jasonc's comment I noticed output from MyBikeTraffic.com and am considering adding the data field to my garmin 520plus.
I note installation requires adding Garmin ConnectIQ store app to my phone to get the data file to the 520Plus.
I current have everything set up (Edge 520plus, Vivoactive 3 watch and Varia linking via Garmin Connect) on the phone and all works fine.
Does adding the additional data field via ConnectIQ change anything in that regard? Main concern is having the 520 paired with Connect and ConnectIQ at the same time.
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm

The additional data field can give you car speeds at the time on your garmin

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:57 pm

grt046 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:49 pm
jasonc wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:04 pm

Is that an output from the Varia/Garmin ?

Interesting.

@warthog1 - for those low density/high approach speed areas, agree 100%.

The other location that I found the radar useful when trailing it, was when climbing on some quiet back roads with low traffic. I often didn't hear some vehicles. Not that they were speeding, quite the opposite sometimes, it's just that I wasn't always aware.
I have this field added to my garmin activity
https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/c5d9 ... b871e9e733
Thanks to all the positive feedback on this site for the Garmin Varia radar I decided to join you and recently purchased a RTL515 (Missed the super discount jasonc mentioned but got one from 99 bikes locally for $299)
Being an old guy, hearing impaired with restricted head movement making head and shoulder turns less than ideal, I have found the benefits of Varia fantastic.
Reading DCRainmaker's review and jasonc's comment I noticed output from MyBikeTraffic.com and am considering adding the data field to my garmin 520plus.
I note installation requires adding Garmin ConnectIQ store app to my phone to get the data file to the 520Plus.
I current have everything set up (Edge 520plus, Vivoactive 3 watch and Varia linking via Garmin Connect) on the phone and all works fine.
Does adding the additional data field via ConnectIQ change anything in that regard? Main concern is having the 520 paired with Connect and ConnectIQ at the same time.
ConnectIQ is like garmins version of an app store for phones. SO its not really "connected" to it normally (it runns through the gamin coonect app anywhay), just when you want to add stuff to the device, it will plonk it there and job done.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

grt046

Postby grt046 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:05 am

Thanks jasonc and mikgit ..... appreciated
Last edited by grt046 on Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:45 am

All set up and working well.
First serious ride this morning 58km starting at 05:00. 147 passes with one (Ford Ranger) being recorded at 107kph in a 70k zone. Most slowed significantly before passing.
Very impressed with the Varia.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 am

jasonc wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm

grt046 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:45 am
First serious ride this morning 58km starting at 05:00. 147 passes with one (Ford Ranger) being recorded at 107kph in a 70k zone. Most slowed significantly before passing.

Wow!
Didn't know that could be done.
That is impressive. 8)

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:01 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 am
jasonc wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm

grt046 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:45 am

Wow!
Didn't know that could be done.
That is impressive. 8)
More info at MyBikeTraffic.com including an informative video by Shane Millar (GPLama)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:27 am

grt046 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:01 am

More info at MyBikeTraffic.com including an informative video by Shane Millar (GPLama)

https://www.mybiketraffic.com/about/

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:43 pm

Well I installed the my bike traffic app on my edge 1030.
One brief ride with it so far.
Had it on a data screen with 4 fields displayed in equal size.
4 data fields displayed from radar using the my bike traffic app in that one 1/4 field on the garmin.
Didn't work too well. Had total vehicles passed, absolute speed, relative approach speed and distance behind, displayed.
The numbers were overlapping, making it hard to read.
I have now changed the data screen display size allocation.
Cadence and speed are smaller segments side by side at the top of the screen.
Then a bigger segment with 3sec power underneath and my bike traffic display in the same larger size at the bottom.
My bike traffic now only has 2 fields displayed in that sector of the screen. Absolute speed of approaching car and distance behind of approaching car.
I could already see from todays brief ride that it will be very handy.
When a car is approaching from behind and another toward me from in front, I do an incompetent weave to discourage a close pass. It generally works well.
Now I can see the car behind me slow in response to the weave. Very handy :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:21 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:43 pm
Well I installed the my bike traffic app on my edge 1030.
One brief ride with it so far.
Had it on a data screen with 4 fields displayed in equal size.
4 data fields displayed from radar using the my bike traffic app in that one 1/4 field on the garmin.
Didn't work too well. Had total vehicles passed, absolute speed, relative approach speed and distance behind, displayed.
The numbers were overlapping, making it hard to read.
I have now changed the data screen display size allocation.
Cadence and speed are smaller segments side by side at the top of the screen.
Then a bigger segment with 3sec power underneath and my bike traffic display in the same larger size at the bottom.
My bike traffic now only has 2 fields displayed in that sector of the screen. Absolute speed of approaching car and distance behind of approaching car.
I could already see from todays brief ride that it will be very handy.
When a car is approaching from behind and another toward me from in front, I do an incompetent weave to discourage a close pass. It generally works well.
Now I can see the car behind me slow in response to the weave. Very handy :D
You'll have to take a pic with what you have done. I am reluctant to lose any of my fields

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:21 pm

You'll have to take a pic with what you have done. I am reluctant to lose any of my fields
I just added a new screen under my traing profile on the edge 1030.
I have 10 fields on the original screen which is still there.
Just swipe between screens.

I'll get a photo tomoz.

And thanks for alerting us, on the forum, to this feature Jason.

Edit;
Screen 1

Screen 2

Abs is speed of closing vehicle.

Dist is distance behind.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:57 pm

Honestly.. I like the mybikeradar app. But I've kind of let it drift to my second screen because I'm not really sure of how useful it is to me. If things are coming in fast the line goes red so I know anyway and I'm tracking them with the dot. It's not like I can really do much with the speed.

I think it's neat but I just can't see how it helps me. :shock:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:04 pm

I am not in the city.
As I mentioned earlier I can see (and hear) the car respond by slowing after my incompetent weave.
I may need to head left if it doesn't. :x

Yes I have only ridden with it once. Perhaps it will become less useful, I do like seeing data though, so perhaps not.
I don't see my incompetent weave ceasing when a car is coming toward me as well. It usually works.

I got rid of the coloured edges in my settings. Makes it harder to see the dots if there is more than one. Didn't like it intruding into the display either.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:29 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:57 pm
Honestly.. I like the mybikeradar app. But I've kind of let it drift to my second screen because I'm not really sure of how useful it is to me. If things are coming in fast the line goes red so I know anyway and I'm tracking them with the dot. It's not like I can really do much with the speed.

You have the camera I believe.
Would it help encourage the police to take action on a close pass if you can also indicate it accelerated as it did so?
Rare occasion that should be, though Shane Miller indicated it had happened to him.
As I understand it from reading on here they don't tend to care much. So maybe not.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:36 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:29 pm
Comedian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:57 pm

You have the camera I believe.
Would it help encourage the police to take action on a close pass if you can also indicate it accelerated as it did so?
Rare occasion that should be, though Shane Miller indicated it had happened to him.
As I understand it from reading on here they don't tend to care much. So maybe not.
There is no way they would consider the speeds produced by that to be enforceable. That's what I mean.. it's interesting but not hugely useful. That's why I don't have it on my main screen.

I am in awe of the device though. Seriously impressive bit of technology.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:36 pm

There is no way they would consider the speeds produced by that to be enforceable. That's what I mean.. it's interesting but not hugely useful. That's why I don't have it on my main screen.

Sure, of course not enforceable. Just an indication of behaviour, when combined with the close pass, as pointing toward malice.
I expect that may encourage more interest from many police.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm
Comedian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:36 pm

Sure, of course not enforceable. Just an indication of behaviour, when combined with the close pass, as pointing toward malice.
I expect that may encourage more interest from many police.
Might be contributory. The question is how do you report it? It's like you telling the cops "my radar said the approaching vehicle was doing...".

The varia camera records the speed the rider is going on the screen. It's only a software update away from recording the approaching vehicle speed I guess. That would possibly be quite useful!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 am

Comedian wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

Might be contributory. The question is how do you report it? It's like you telling the cops "my radar said the approaching vehicle was doing...".

The varia camera records the speed the rider is going on the screen. It's only a software update away from recording the approaching vehicle speed I guess. That would possibly be quite useful!

You are able to import your ride data to the my bike traffic site as I understand. It will then list the passing speeds of cars on a map.
You can point out where it was and the vehicle speed should be listed.
I haven't done it, however that appears to be a large part of the reason as to why the app was developed.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:52 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 am
Comedian wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

You are able to import your ride data to the my bike traffic site as I understand. It will then list the passing speeds of cars on a map.
You can point out where it was and the vehicle speed should be listed.
I haven't done it, however that appears to be a large part of the reason as to why the app was developed.
I have actually seen that done.. I think I did it once.

I've spoken to too many police officers over the years. That would be super easily dismissed. Unless they wanted to.

I had one police lady close two of my reports without even looking at the videos because she didn't think it was enforceable. No there is no escalation.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:36 pm

What I would like to see from that app is some way of measuring passing distances.

That would be a game-changer. It still won't meet the beyond reasonable doubt test without road surface landmark support because it's not a certified device, but it would definitely raise the stakes by providing intelligence about close-passing hotspots and vehicle types (e.g. buses and heavy trucks).

It could then be used to start conversations with enforcement and road safety authorities about "Why on earth aren't you doing something about this? There's clearly a problem, why aren't you getting someone to develop a device?"

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:26 pm

I couldn't really think of a use for this other than confirming how fast and above the speed limit some passes are...had a classic a few days ago...narrow unsegregated cycle lane and car passes without moving over at all...60kmh speed limit..I'd guess 80km/hr but would like to know if I'm right

sort of similar passed by an unrestricted ebike today my guess 60km/hr on a shared path with poor sight lines...rider didn't slow into blind bend...I'd just file it for if I ever find the guy in a mangled mess with some innocent

Edit I quite like the red warning that a vehicle isn't slowing...first time I got it looked in mirror to see that I was about to be close passed by a furniture truck so I braced ready for the wind blast...today turned onto a section of road where regularly get fast and close passes and as approached first "traffic calming" dangerous narrowing could see that 2 vehicles coming up behind hadn't scrubbed any speed at all

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 22, 2023 7:38 pm

updated the firmware on my rct715 over the weekend
the data overlay now includes vehicle speed

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 22, 2023 8:21 pm

Thanks Jason :)
Still haven't got one yet, less road and more gravel. I am selective where and when I do ride on the bitumen though. Just the radar still.
That is a great update though! 8)

Knucklehead in the ute was a bit bloody close :x

grt046

Postby grt046 » Tue May 23, 2023 10:59 pm

Just seen on a mates new Synapse a Cannondale SmartsSense intergrated system incorporating Garmin Varia paired with Lezanne lighting (front and rear) together with powered Garmin GPS mount suitable for some Garmin Edge computers, 530 and above all supplied from a common battery which is detachable for charging.
Long Term Review by DC Rainmaker https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/02/can ... 1-rle.html