Mechanic trainee/course in melbourne

BorjaRamirez

Mechanic trainee/course in melbourne

Postby BorjaRamirez » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:46 pm

Hey guys, i've just arrived to Melbourne and was looking for a place to learn how to proper fix bicycles of every kind, a workshop or anywhere who wants to train someone who later can work there, i've tried a few places(workshops and online) but hasn't worked pretty much because they can't spend time on it which is completely fair, hope you can help me! (I know some things but not that much i am very handy with tools)
Cheers everyone. :D

elantra

Re: Mechanic trainee/course in melbourne

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:59 pm

Not sure what is available in Melbourne, but there is a training institute in Sydney https://www.5startraining.com.au/bmti/home
I think that some people in the bicycle repair business in Australia are basically self trained, usually over a long period of time.

Fortunately these days there is a lot of information on YouTube, such as https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaAK2FaxQ2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ

Obviously good bicycles are expensive, but if you want to pick up discarded bicycles at low cost (sometimes less than 20 dollars), there are probably some waste recycling shops in the Melbourne environs with plenty of bicycles to select from.
In Australia these recycling centres are sometimes referred to as “tip shops”
Hope things work out for you.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:16 pm

Some TAFE colleges offer bike mechanic courses, but you'll have to hunt around because they come up less often than blue moons.

Some component manufacturers offer specific training, but only to people already in the industry.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:54 am

Some Melbourne based community bike sheds may offer training in return for your time. I know CERES Bike Shed in Brunswick East does. You would have to look to see what’s available in your area of course. And they may not give you exposure to high end products. Good luck with it.

BorjaRamirez

Postby BorjaRamirez » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:46 pm

Hey guys thank you all, yeah it's quite difficult to find a place which can offer a proper course you know, i will keep looking and keep checking on internet tutorials until i find something or someone who wants to train me and keep me working there.

BorjaRamirez

Postby BorjaRamirez » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Quick update in case anyone is in the same position as me! I think i will go on a trip to sydney and do the Certificate II in bicycle mechanical technology.