1x vs 2x

warthog1

1x vs 2x

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:24 pm

My gravelly came equipped with GRX 2x.
I have however ridden with a few who have 1x.

Seems like you have slightly bigger gaps in your gears and it is also slightly less efficient
https://www.cyclingabout.com/drivetrain ... een-1x-2x/
Though the difference is not huge.
I guess 1x is a bit lighter and I would assume less chance of chain drop.
Staying 2x on my gravelly though.
It is working well for my use.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

trailgumby

Re: 1x vs 2x

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:03 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:24 pm
I guess 1x is a bit lighter and I would assume less chance of chain drop.
Staying 2x on my gravelly though.
It is working well for my use.

yes, I find the bigger gaps between gears on my 1x12 MTB *really* annoying. I was forced to convert my 2x trail bike to be consistent with the 1x XC race bike (which can't accept a front derailleur) because the difference in shift timing between the two systems was doing my head in when I swapped between bikes. I was continually getting hung up on obstacles because I was muffing my gear selection.

On the upside, it's one less thing I have to worry about with my left thumb - now it's only suspension lockout and dropper post lever. On a long off-road ride, the joint at the base of my thumb is a lot less sore.

Chain drop I have eliminated on my 2x11 road/gravel/cx bikes by using a K-Edge chain keeper. I still get occasional chain drop on the MTB when I have to pedal backwards half a revolution to ratchet over obstacles. It's OK if the chain is in the middle of the cassette, but if I'm at either end of the range, it comes off.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:25 pm

You left out the old 3x category.
I'm not doing much touring these days so my stripped down, 9 speed steel Vivente tourer has become my rail trail and bush bike.
On the front, 24/32/42 rings and a 12-34 cassette out back every eventuality is covered. From riding bitumen to the trails, good dirt roads, rail trail and steep walking tracks, I can ride them all.
Being a relatively small, light weight and not especially powerful rider I rely on high and consistent cadence to keep the pace, up and downhill.
Not in any way a fan of the 1x concept. Too many big gearing gaps would see me either bogged down in too high a gear or spinning like crazy in the next sequenced higher gear. I like to maintain a 80 - 90RPM cadence wherever I go.
9 speed parts are all cheap and durable. Can't say the same for the dinner plate cassettes.
Last edited by Tim on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:27 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:03 pm

yes, I find the bigger gaps between gears on my 1x12 MTB *really* annoying. I was forced to convert my 2x trail bike to be consistent with the 1x XC race bike (which can't accept a front derailleur) because the difference in shift timing between the two systems was doing my head in when I swapped between bikes. I was continually getting hung up on obstacles because I was muffing my gear selection.

On the upside, it's one less thing I have to worry about with my left thumb - now it's only suspension lockout and dropper post lever. On a long off-road ride, the joint at the base of my thumb is a lot less sore.

Chain drop I have eliminated on my 2x11 road/gravel/cx bikes by using a K-Edge chain keeper. I still get occasional chain drop on the MTB when I have to pedal backwards half a revolution to ratchet over obstacles. It's OK if the chain is in the middle of the cassette, but if I'm at either end of the range, it comes off.
Thanks I don't have much experience of 1x at all. It seems the dominant spec on mtb however.
I'll steer clear on the gravelly.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:06 pm

1x is a Sram promotion because they couldn't make a functioning front derailleur.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:14 pm

biker jk wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:06 pm
1x is a Sram promotion because they couldn't make a functioning front derailleur.
:shock: :o :lol: :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:17 pm

Tim wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:25 pm
You left out the old 3x category.
I'm not doing much touring these days so my stripped down, 9 speed steel Vivente tourer has become my rail trail and bush bike.
On the front, 24/32/42 rings and a 12-34 cassette out back every eventuality is covered. From riding bitumen to the trails, good dirt roads, rail trail and steep walking tracks, I can ride them all.
Being a relatively small, light weight and not especially powerful rider I rely on high and consistent cadence to keep the pace, up and downhill.
Not in any way a fan of the 1x concept. Too many big gearing gaps would see me either bogged down in too high a gear or spinning like crazy in the next sequenced higher gear. I like to maintain a 80 - 90RPM cadence wherever I go.
9 speed parts are all cheap and durable. Can't say the same for the dinner plate cassettes.
Sorry missed your post.
Makes a lot of sense on a touring bike.
My Aldi "MTB" shaped object has 3x. It works and I have used the bottom and top gears.
Doesn't get ridden much at all however as the front "suspension fork" suffers such stiction that it is unpleasant to ride.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:20 pm

biker jk wrote:
You've been reading Duck's notes :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:22 pm

It depends on the terrain you are riding. For hilly, off-road single track you don’t notice the gaps as much with 1x.

I’ve run 1x on mountain bikes for ages. Started with 1x9 when I bought a short cage derailleur by mistake and was building a lightweight bike. I really only notice gaps in the gears riding to and from trials on the roads.

My roadie commuter built from bits of a hybrid remains at 2x9 (was 3x but I ditched the granny ring) if building again I’d look at a couple extra gears on the back to keep road cadence more consistent.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:42 pm

biker jk wrote:

Yep. Nailed it. They're almost as good as their brakes. :lol:

And Sensah Empire, which is a Chinese startup rumoured to be ex-SRAM engineers left behind when SRAM moved their plant inland for reasons of IP protection, can't make a decent front derailleur either if reports are accurate.

owly

Postby owly » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:39 am

My old XX front derailleur works sweet :)

Started out with a 1x build because all the cool kids were doing it, but didn't like the gaps, as mentioned.
Prefer a nice spread of 1tooth jumps when on the flats, so ended up putting together a custom cassette when changing to 2x.
MUFC :twisted: