Bone Conduction Headphones

drumondo

Bone Conduction Headphones

Postby drumondo » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying some of these for on the bike, but I've read a lot of reviews stating poor sound quality. This is somewhat deterring me from spending big bucks on them as I don't see what I'm getting for my money over cheaper pairs.

On the cheaper end I'm looking at these, which have the additional benefit of USB-C charging:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Bluetooth-Hea ... r=8-7&th=1

On the top end we have these with silly proprietary charging, but 10 hours use to a charge and newer-gen audio tech:
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09BVXT8TJ?ref=emc_p_m_5_i

How much better could the new ones sound? Does anyone have any experience with these things, or any other brands they might recommend?

Retrobyte

Re: Bone Conduction Headphones

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:22 pm

I have a pair of the Bose sunnies with the bone conduction audio. Excellent quality sound, but wind noise above 25kph makes no good for anything other than background music at that speed. No chance of listening to a podcast or the cricket when riding at a decent clip. On the plus side, you can hear your environment because your ears aren't blocked, so from a safety point of view they work well.

When not riding they are really good, and I use them when walking, sitting around the pool reading etc

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:34 am

I have the Aftershokz ones and love them. Even with a head wind and travelling over 40kmh I can still hear the music. I've even used them when mowing with the leccy mower. 8) :D

There are three levels of the Aftershokz ones, so go into a shop and have a listen with them on and them buy some. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:52 am

They're great for what they are (listen to stuff without plugging/covering your ears) but audio quality will never be top notch. The effect of wearing them is like having speakers on in a room - the sound is just all around you, not piped directly into your ear canal. But the audio quality itself is not the selling point, the safety/convenience is. So don't expect audiophile listening experience and adjust expectations accordingly.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jarjim

Postby jarjim » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:10 am

drumondo wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:44 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying some of these for on the bike, but I've read a lot of reviews stating poor sound quality. This is somewhat deterring me from spending big bucks on them as I don't see what I'm getting for my money over cheaper pairs.

On the cheaper end I'm looking at these, which have the additional benefit of USB-C charging:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Bluetooth-Hea ... r=8-7&th=1

On the top end we have these with silly proprietary charging, but 10 hours use to a charge and newer-gen audio tech:
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09BVXT8TJ?ref=emc_p_m_5_i

How much better could the new ones sound? Does anyone have any experience with these things, or any other brands they might recommend?

I like it so I also checked some of the reviews. Very strange, the reviews are quite different, but I think I'll take one.
Last edited by jarjim on Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never knew that one of my negative traits was nervousness. By the way, I'm a Gemini on May 23rd.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:42 pm

So which Aftershokz ones do people recommend? Do the sets without a separate microphone wand still allow two-way communication? If possible would like to use for hands-free phone and Wintel computer comms (eg Zoom or Teams meetings).

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:19 am

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:42 pm
So which Aftershokz ones do people recommend? Do the sets without a separate microphone wand still allow two-way communication? If possible would like to use for hands-free phone and Wintel computer comms (eg Zoom or Teams meetings).

A couple of different contractors who come to my work wear them, and use them for phone calls. Haven't noticed any microphone extensions on them.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:13 am

Mububban wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:19 am
trailgumby wrote:

A couple of different contractors who come to my work wear them, and use them for phone calls. Haven't noticed any microphone extensions on them.
No mic boom on mine and no complaints from those on the other end when I've been using them. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:28 am

trailgumby wrote:

Mine are the Aeropex model $249 and as I've said before, I can listen to them when riding, even when there is wind blowing or I'm travelling quickly. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:35 pm

I'll confirm what Foo said have (after)shokz without a mic boom and phone conversations go well - the only issue I have is that listening can be hard when traffic noise is high...I'm walking not cycling and waiting at crossings I struggle with hearing...mrs antigee is deaf in one ear and loves using aftershokz...is a non stop conference caller and prefers the mic boom...

I also have some 30% of the price chinese direct ones which I actually prefer as have easier (for me) to operate control buttons - sound quality is similar and had no complaints on phone calls