Cycling with enlarged prostate and post operative green light laser or similar

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
DavidRN

Cycling with enlarged prostate and post operative green light laser or similar

Postby DavidRN » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:12 am

Hi There

Have an enlarged prostate and having green light laser surgery in January, presently off the bike until post op.

Urologist is totally against any cycling, "that will make it worse"

Want to get back on the bike, so want to here stories from other cyclists who have enlarged prostate and had surgery for this.

Regards

DavidRN

foo on patrol

Re: Cycling with enlarged prostate and post operative green light laser or similar

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:08 am

I have a mate that had his removed because of it being enlarged and got back on the bike and also raced and another that had cancer and it removed, he also is back on the bike. Just make sure that you're healed up and have done all the rehab. Then get a seat that doesn't cause pressure to that area. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DavidRN

Re: Cycling with enlarged prostate and post operative green light laser or similar

Postby DavidRN » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:32 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:08 am
I have a mate that had his removed because of it being enlarged and got back on the bike and also raced and another that had cancer and it removed, he also is back on the bike. Just make sure that you're healed up and have done all the rehab. Then get a seat that doesn't cause pressure to that area. :idea:

Foo
Good to see he got back on the back, will look into seat options after the surgery.

DavidRN

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:55 am

I had a TURPS operation to remove a large portion of my enlarged (non-cancerous) prostate earlier this year. They took out 80% of it, no idea why they didn't just take it all :) . If the urologist says no cycling before the op I would do as he says.
After my op I was basically only allowed light walking for three weeks but after a review which took place when I stopped passing blood (4 weeks) I was allowed 'easy' cycling. No such thing around here really, lots of hills... but the main point is that you are still quite sore and at this point -YMMV - you DEFINATELY feel all the bumps. This does wear off over time and at about 8 weeks I was back to as near normal as I was ever going to be, to the extent that we did the Central West Cycle Trail (which is mainly dirt road) at that point. Did result in a little soreness some days :P
So, hope that helps, my op is not quite the same as yours so you may recover quicker but it is certainly not a blocker on your cycling future IMHO. However, do listen to your Urologist, they've done this before many times!

Richard

DavidRN

Postby DavidRN » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:52 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:55 am
I had a TURPS operation to remove a large portion of my enlarged (non-cancerous) prostate earlier this year. They took out 80% of it, no idea why they didn't just take it all :) . If the urologist says no cycling before the op I would do as he says.
After my op I was basically only allowed light walking for three weeks but after a review which took place when I stopped passing blood (4 weeks) I was allowed 'easy' cycling. No such thing around here really, lots of hills... but the main point is that you are still quite sore and at this point -YMMV - you DEFINATELY feel all the bumps. This does wear off over time and at about 8 weeks I was back to as near normal as I was ever going to be, to the extent that we did the Central West Cycle Trail (which is mainly dirt road) at that point. Did result in a little soreness some days :P
So, hope that helps, my op is not quite the same as yours so you may recover quicker but it is certainly not a blocker on your cycling future IMHO. However, do listen to your Urologist, they've done this before many times!

Richard
Thanks Richard, the green light does have a quicker recovery and the urologist isn't removing any of my prostate, my BPH is normal just the prostate has enlarged, urine retention is my main issue.

DavidRN

Postby DavidRN » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 pm

Thanks all for the responses!

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:23 pm

I had RP for prostate cancer 6 years ago, then rebuild of the wedding tackle for recreational use ... take it gently and you will be back. You already know various pains associated with sitting on the bike - your nether regions will tell you loud and clear if (even with a green light medically) you are not ready.
Dunno whether incontinence is a potential issue for you or only for prostate removal - it's no great fun, but learning pelvic floor exercises usually helps greatly. These days I have to ride a very long way (or drink plenny-o buckets of beer) before it's a problem.

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:19 pm

Don't stress, your body will tell you right away what not to do! And if you listen to it you won't break anything. It took me about 6 weeks after my prostatectomy for discomfort to disappear, but from about 3 weeks I could do short rides on my hybrid (more upright position).

It's definitely a good idea to upgrade your saddle, probably to one with the perineal are cut out. I did and have the best comfort since I started cycling 30 years ago.

Cheers, Graeme