Two small changes could transform our health. Why is it so hard?

find_bruce

Two small changes could transform our health. Why is it so hard?

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 08, 2023 11:21 am

Occasionally I get told cycling is dangerous. My usual response is that a lack of exercise is far more dangerous.

Interesting article in today's herald Two small changes could transform our health. Why is it so hard? which summaries some data around this - according to the Australian Government's Institute of Health & Welfare an extra hour of weekly activity could reduce disease burden attributable to physical inactivity by 16% in 2030

Unsurprisingly the two changes are
  • Lose weight
  • Exercise more
The challenge is not what, but how!

It links to the National Obesity Strategy 2022-2032 . Funnily enough it includes at page 41-42
Strategy 1.7 Build more connected and safe community spaces that inspire people of all ages, abilities and cultures to engage in regular physical activity
Example actions
Build, maintain and extend safer, segregated networks of pathways and amenities for bicycle riders and other non-motorised forms of transport (such as skateboards, scooters and wheelchairs) in cities and neighbourhoods, especially around schools.
Strategy 1.8 Grow participation in walking, cycling, public transport, active recreation and sport by minimising cost and access barriers.
Example actions
Promote and support safe active travel for adults and children (for example, through integrated land use planning and transport policy, accessible change rooms and free end-of-trip facilities, participation incentives, reduced car registration for bicycle commuters).
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Re: Two small changes could transform our health. Why is it so hard?

Postby bychosis » Mon May 08, 2023 11:34 am

It’s not rocket surgery.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 08, 2023 1:57 pm

Yep - I was more linking so that anyone wanting to push the argument has some formal support, not just I think.

We could get an awful lot done if it was directly funded by a sugar tax
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon May 08, 2023 5:17 pm

Note that bit "other non-motorised forms of transport"
GIven the choice between an e-scooter and walking which do you reckon people will use on those separated paths?

E-bikes are less of an issue as much more expensive, but even then if you are doing things that promote active transport over cars (eg parking and taxes and tolls) then non-car motorised transport will start to take over the active transport areas.

So how do you keep it to non-motorised?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 08, 2023 9:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:21 am
Occasionally I get told cycling is dangerous. My usual response is that a lack of exercise is far more dangerous.
Before I rode bikes, I was way unfit. Might have been a health hazard if I had not turned things around.
find_bruce wrote: We could get an awful lot done if it was directly funded by a sugar tax
The other thing is if you could push the enjoyment angle of riding, that it can and should be fun also. But then that gets an argument too from those who don't think that's appropriate for the kind of riding future they want to see.

In any case it will never happen unless we can sort out the problem of four wheeled tanks on the road behaving badly towards riders.