Hammerhead Karoo 2 GPS

Andy01

Hammerhead Karoo 2 GPS

Postby Andy01 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:49 am

Not really a review as there are plenty of those available online, but just some thoughts.

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago on their current sale for $415 (down from $639) which seemed like a great deal. I haven't made us of it but if I referred someone and they bought one, they get a HRM free as well (and I get $25), which is even better.

I was not sure if I would like it, but it should be a risk-free purchase because they offer a 45 day trial period with free return shipping if I don't like it.

It arrived on Friday 9th June and I charged it up and spent some time setting it up. The setup was pretty easy although a bit of checking on the Hammerhead website to find out some "how to's" because as is usual now they is no manual to speak of. They don't use an app - instead the unit connects directly to the internet via WiFi and everything is stored in the cloud.

My previous GPS was a Bryton 410 (been using it for 3 years, 2.3" monochrome screen and a smaller Bryton for 2 years before that), so the Karoo 2 is quite a significant change. A large 3.2" high definition (about 4 times the pixel count of similar sized Garmin or Bryton units) colour screen - I find it broadly similar in quality and responsiveness (and size) to my old iPhone 4s (which I dug out & fired up just for laughs). It is not as responsive as my current iPhone 14 Pro but that is no surprise, but it is a LOT better than most cheaper touchscreens. Even at 25% brightness it is PLENTY bright enough to read on a sunny Brisbane morning - I might try drop it down to 15% and try it out.

The number of screen layout options is vast - mixes of maps & data, maps only, data only (with a variety of data options from about 3 fields to I think 12 fields per page). I have tried the navigation on my regular route and it beeps and shows turn pop-ups as it should. It seems to be accurate to within a couple of metres.

I created a map of my regular route 3 ways - in the Hammerhead web-based dashboard, using RideWithGPS and by saving an actual ride as a route. All were easy and upload within a few seconds.

The Auto-Pause was initially taking too long to initiate (because it takes a few seconds for the speed to drop to zero), so I changed it to start the pause when speed dropped below 5km/h and it now works well. At the end of a ride, it pauses, I stop the ride, choose to save or delete it, and if saved a few seconds later it appears on my Hammerhead dashboard (uploads over the home WiFi).

Twice I have had it start and say "No cadence sensor found" but when I checked the sensor page, it found it and everything worked fine - still not sure what this is about ?

Battery life is probably the biggest criticism of the Karoo 2 online and that is something I am monitoring closely to see if it is going to be a deal breaker. I never do long rides but I also don't want to be charging every few days either. My Bryton 410 was giving me about 18 rides (about 45-50 minutes long each) on a charge.

I charged it after last Saturday's ride (my first ride with some mucking around) and have been on 6 rides in the last week. The rides were 45-50 minutes each and total about 280 minutes (4 hours 40 minutes). One of them was using full navigation, but it didn't actually seem to consume any more battery than just riding with a data screen. My main data screen has 11 fields plus ride time, actual time of day and battery percentage displayed at the top of the screen (so 13 ride parameters on one screen and all are easily readable). I also have phone notifications turned on. It drops by about 6-7% per ride and is currently sitting on 61% battery left after 6 rides.

So, assuming I only took it down to 10% of battery left, I should get about 11 hours of riding or about 14 of my rides which is certainly worse than my old Bryton 410, but probably not terrible considering it is a much larger and more detailed screen and the device has vastly more features. Perhaps, like many lithium battery powered devices, the battery life might improve slightly after a few cycles ? Once I have done a full cycle I might try reduce the screen brightness a bit more (to 15% maybe) to see how it performs - I did see reports online of people using 5% brightness with good visibility (but maybe not under Australian sun :D ).

On the whole, I am liking it so far though I am not using anywhere near the full feature set so far. It is certainly a big change to my old Bryton so a lot to get used to still, but nothing too quirky. The battery life could be better but it doesn't seem terrible so far.

I think that for $400, it is a very well speced bike computer with undoubtedly the best screen in the business. It undercuts the similar Garmin 1030/1040 and Bryton s800 large touchscreen units by a significant margin. I wouldn't have paid $640 for it though.

am50em

Re: Hammerhead Karoo 2 GPS

Postby am50em » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:28 pm

I had the Karoo 1 and the screen was superb. It took a while to get the features sorted out on v1 but eventually a great unit. Problem is battery dies after a few years and cannot be replaced. Same with Karoo 2, so I went with Edge 830. Screen nowhere near as good but I Iike the Firstbeat fitness metrics which aren't available on the Karoo. Recently replaced my Fenix5 fitness watch with Epix gen 2. Now the fitness metrics merge seamlessly. The Epix is Fenix with touch screen which is clear and bright. Hoping the Edge 850 when it comes out has a similar AMOLED screen. The Epix gen 2 on special now as they just brought out the Pro version.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:42 pm

Thanks. I actually thought that most/all bike GPS computers had non-user-replaceable batteries, but I have only used Bryton & Hammerhead myself, so perhaps this was an incorrect assumption ?

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:58 pm

You can buy batteries online for Garmin and install them yourself. It has been a sore point for many that you cannot buy batteries for Karoo.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:27 pm

How long / how many charge cycles did the K1 battery take to become unusable ?

Technically a rule of thumb for most lithium batteries has been around 500 charge cycles, but many get a lot more than that as evidenced by lots of mobile phones that are typically charged daily, and 500 days is less than 1.4 years. My iPhone X was showing signs of diminished battery life after 3 years, which is around 1,000 charge cycles.

Assuming I was charging fortnightly (26 times per year), then 500 cycles would be plenty (almost 20 years), but if the K1 batteries were getting to an unusably short battery life much quicker than that, it could be an issue.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:42 pm

I was in Facebook group and it appeared very variable. I think mine lasted about 4 years then it started to switch off mid-ride randomly and battery would only run for 5 hours. Yet my much older Garmin 800 still works well. Battery life has dropped but still usable length. I really liked the Karoo but not being able to replace battery in otherwise perfectly good hardware was something I did not want to support especially given the price.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:37 am

Thanks for the response.