How to proceed in cycling as a fit beginner

AKey4

How to proceed in cycling as a fit beginner

Postby AKey4 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 pm

Hi,

So I am a 23yr ex runner (decent level) who has just had to stop running because of an ongoing long term injury. On the advice of the doc, I’ve taken up cycling.

I’ve riden bikes all my life (mountain biking, bmx as a kid, etc), but I’ve never taken it any what seriously or put any effort in training wise until the last 3-4 weeks. I’ve jumped on zwift and loved doing a few races on there.

So my question is what to do next? I’ve found it hard to find real life races (I’m obviously looking in the wrong places).

In the 3-4 weeks since I started riding my 20min power is up to 5.2-5.3 w/kg and 5min power is around 6.3-6.4w/kg (I weigh 60-61kg).

So basically I have no idea how to proceed from here. Where to find races? What races/ series to join? Should I join a club? Etc…

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

nickobec

Re: How to proceed in cycling as a fit beginner

Postby nickobec » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Where do you live? I can give you advice for WA, but other states are different.

Yes, you need to join a club to race.

In most states, less so WA, clubs have training rides, where you can get experience in bunch riding, which is good to have before racing. A good club will guide you through the process of learning how to race to ....

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:49 am

nickobec wrote:Where do you live?
I think AKey4 lives in cyber space.
AKey4 wrote: In the 3-4 weeks since I started riding my 20min power is up to 5.2-5.3 w/kg and 5min power is around 6.3-6.4w/kg (I weigh 60-61kg).
BS.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:05 am

^^^^^^^ I was thinking the same with those power to weight numbers. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:05 am

Foo
I have seen a young runner, take up cycling, enter his first race at the urging of a mate. He started in a A/B grade combined criterium and lapped the entire field, except one A grader who he bridged to, worked with to get half a lap lead and then dropped.

ps that young runner was Ben O'Connor and his mate who got him racing Sam Welsford.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:49 pm

AKey4 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 pm
Hi,

So I am a 23yr ex runner (decent level) who has just had to stop running because of an ongoing long term injury. On the advice of the doc, I’ve taken up cycling.

I’ve riden bikes all my life (mountain biking, bmx as a kid, etc), but I’ve never taken it any what seriously or put any effort in training wise until the last 3-4 weeks. I’ve jumped on zwift and loved doing a few races on there.

So my question is what to do next? I’ve found it hard to find real life races (I’m obviously looking in the wrong places).

In the 3-4 weeks since I started riding my 20min power is up to 5.2-5.3 w/kg and 5min power is around 6.3-6.4w/kg (I weigh 60-61kg).

So basically I have no idea how to proceed from here. Where to find races? What races/ series to join? Should I join a club? Etc…

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)
What trainer/power meter are you using for measuring your power, that's the first thing - make sure those numbers really are correct. The trainer or power meter should be calibrated properly and you shouldn't be using tricks like sticky watts or micro-surging.

ZPower on Zwift is far from accurate and you get many super fit 60+ year olds zooming along at 6.0w/kg for 1 hour or more. :roll: Or alternatively you do the maths and some of them weigh 39kg... :roll: (they don't look like 39kg in their photos).

If your numbers are accurate then you want to get in touch with a club and start learning the basics of group rides and eventually racing if that's what you want. With your weight and claimed ability you'd be better suited to riding in the mountains (doing 25km 6% average climbs) rather than racing with "sprinters" on flat criteriums.

As for Zwift, with some of the usual heavy hitters as soon as you mention hills they get extremely upset... :lol: Race up Ventop... Nooooo! :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:54 pm

My hunch is that AKey4 is another AI bot.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:14 pm

nickobec wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:23 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:05 am

Foo
I have seen a young runner, take up cycling, enter his first race at the urging of a mate. He started in a A/B grade combined criterium and lapped the entire field, except one A grader who he bridged to, worked with to get half a lap lead and then dropped.

ps that young runner was Ben O'Connor and his mate who got him racing Sam Welsford.

So Ben was originally a runner? :?:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

AKey4

Postby AKey4 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:37 am

I’m using a a wahoo kicker core smart train inter as my power meter. I don’t have a power meter for my bike outside as of yet. Since I just started and they are very expensive.

It’s possible those numbers are incorrect, but I believe the power meter is calibrated and everything. Still possible something is out of wack.

I was a national/ international level runner before the injury, so I guess I still have a decent aerobic engine left over.

Sounds like the way to go is join a cycling club, I live in Melbourne. Any suggestions as to which one?

Cheers :)

AKey4

Postby AKey4 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:49 am

I also have seen some (targeted) advertising for Amy’s Grand Fondo. Do people properly race these sorts of things? Or is it more of a charity ride? Just wondering if it’s worth entering that?

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:52 am

I take back my earlier comments and doubts about your power figures IF you are an actual human being and not some AI generated invention. We've had quite a few chatbots recently.
Welcome to the forum.
Joining a club in Melbourne depends largely on where you live. I lived in Melb for a few years a long time ago and found the Eastern suburbs provided a number of clubs with a high level of standards and competition. Carnegie-Caulfield CC has a long and respected history and has produced many notable cyclists.

AKey4

Postby AKey4 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:28 am

Yeh I live in the inner-eastern suburbs. Carnegie seems like a bit of a drive, but definitely doable if it’s a good option.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:01 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:14 pm
The story as I know it, started as a very good cross country/distance runner. Fell in with some cyclists, started racing at 17, one B grade crit, then A grade, next year NRS, following year top NRS team + national team, then WT with Dimension Data, 2nd season in WT crashed out 19 stage of Giro while 12th battling Superman Lopez and Carapaz for white jersey.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:14 am

AKey4 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:49 am
I also have seen some (targeted) advertising for Amy’s Grand Fondo. Do people properly race these sorts of things? Or is it more of a charity ride? Just wondering if it’s worth entering that?
There’s a race component to the Amy’s GF

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:18 am

AKey4 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:37 am
Sounds like the way to go is join a cycling club, I live in Melbourne. Any suggestions as to which one?
Coburg, Brunswick, St Kilda…

I knew a guy who raced and wasn’t a member of a club, but I’m not sure of the ins and outs. It’s probably a lot easier if you are a member of a club.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:30 pm

nickobec wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:01 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:14 pm
The story as I know it, started as a very good cross country/distance runner. Fell in with some cyclists, started racing at 17, one B grade crit, then A grade, next year NRS, following year top NRS team + national team, then WT with Dimension Data, 2nd season in WT crashed out 19 stage of Giro while 12th battling Superman Lopez and Carapaz for white jersey.

When you have real talent, it surfaces very fast. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:35 pm

AKey4 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:28 am
Yeh I live in the inner-eastern suburbs. Carnegie seems like a bit of a drive, but definitely doable if it’s a good option.

Don't know location to you but have a look at Brunswick Club. I have a friend that puts an enormous amount of work into riders and training and the list of riders that are now at International level from there is very impressive. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:40 pm

AKey4 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:37 am
I’m using a a wahoo kicker core smart train inter as my power meter. I don’t have a power meter for my bike outside as of yet. Since I just started and they are very expensive.
Be careful with the kickr core if you've got a lot of power, they can go bang. Someone I know who has a very big sprint (but also heavier) used to kill them a lot. Wahoo would just issue replacements.

Good luck with it. :) There a few guys on here with extensive racing and training knowledge by the way. I don't know the Melbourne scene much, only what's up in Sydney.

AKey4

Postby AKey4 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:16 pm

Thanks for all the help :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:49 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:52 am
I take back my earlier comments and doubts about your power figures IF you are an actual human being and not some AI generated invention. We've had quite a few chatbots recently.
I am still struggling to believe after 3-4 weeks training somebody is at elite level power numbers. ;)

Dogs are the best people :wink:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:48 pm

AKey4 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:16 pm
Thanks for all the help :)

The short answer is:
1: Join a club
2: Get coached - properly

An on-bike power meter is essential, as most coaches these days use both heart rate and power to set workouts and monitor cardiac drift.

I use these guys: https://trivelocoaching.com.au/ The head guy is a past Australian Iron Man champion.

Power meter prices are coming down. If you have a BB30 or BSA bottom bracket on your bike I have a very good used German power meter sitting around that I could sell you at a good price - it just needs new chainrings. I'm still using its brother on my roadie and it's by far the most reliable and easy to use of the three different brands I have. Pairs with my head unit instantly, never drops out, where my stupid Garmin pedals are a PITA to calibrate and get picked up by my Garmin bike computer, and the Wahoo ones have dropouts.

Otherwise, Sigeyi is a chinese brand that gets a good rap from youtubers gplama and dcrainmaker for its crank spider units. Favero Assioma is well regarded for its pedal-based units.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:22 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:49 pm
Tim wrote:
I am still struggling to believe after 3-4 weeks training somebody is at elite level power numbers. ;)

If, they are already at an Elite level, it wouldn't be hard. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:34 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:22 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Tim wrote:

Foo
He is already at an elite level?

I am really struggling to see how, unless he is the next Pogacar.

It is far more likely the power numbers are wrong imo. My kickr core significantly overstates power for instance.

Anyway, good luck and yes get a decent coach and join a club.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:34 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:22 pm
warthog1 wrote:

Foo

I am really struggling to see how, unless he is the next Pogacar.

It is far more likely the power numbers are wrong imo. My kickr core significantly overstates power for instance.

Anyway, good luck and yes get a decent coach and join a club.
Hence, my statement! :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:35 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:34 pm

You might have missed this bit ....
I was a national/ international level runner before the injury,