Tour de France Femmes 2023

Mububban

Tour de France Femmes 2023

Postby Mububban » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:21 am

I just flicked over to see this poor rider in the grass, looking unresponsive and with her arm twisted in a paralytic sort of way :cry: It was quite distressing seeing her lying there not knowing if she was okay or not. But apparently she's okay:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mireia ... oncussion/
Mireia Benito (AG Insurance-Soudal Quick Step) was the first rider that had to abandon the Tour de France Femmes when she crashed only 27 kilometres into the first stage of the race. The 26-year-old Spaniard had just taken a gel and put her right hand back on the handlebar. It appears she then hit a bump in the road in a slight right turn, causing her to veer off-road and tumble head-first into the roadside ditch.

At first, Benito was unresponsive and received medical attention at the scene before being transported to hospital for check-ups. The team confirmed in a medical update that Benito had suffered a concussion but no other serious injuries.

Speaking to Cyclingnews at the finish in Clermont-Ferrand, team manager Natascha den Ouden said that while Benito could not remember the crash, the hospital check-up had revealed no brain injuries apart from the concussion.

Only 8 stages this year, I hope it can grow in popularity and distance in the coming years.
With her solo attack on the Côte de Durtol, Belgian champion Lotte Kopecky (Team SD Worx) won stage 1 of the Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift and took the yellow jersey. On top of that, her teammate Lorena Wiebes, the European champion, won the field sprint after being led out by Demi Vollering who was wearing the purple jersey of the Women's WorldTour leader.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

familyguy

Re: Tour de France Femmes 2023

Postby familyguy » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:45 pm

Mububban wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:21 am
I just flicked over to see this poor rider in the grass, looking unresponsive and with her arm twisted in a paralytic sort of way :cry: It was quite distressing seeing her lying there not knowing if she was okay or not. But apparently she's okay:

That crash looked really innocuous, but then Benito just didn't move. Glad she's ok.

Worth staying up for like the last few weeks!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:59 pm

familyguy wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:45 pm
Mububban wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:21 am

That crash looked really innocuous, but then Benito just didn't move. Glad she's ok.

Worth staying up for like the last few weeks!
I was more concerned when they said she'd landed in a bush of thistles. The actual crash itself looked pretty innocuous. She appeared to just ride straight off the road and was trying to recover before I guess she hit the culvert.

The rest of the stage was pretty uneventful. I was a bit baffled when nobody chased Kopecky over the top, then let her get away for the win, but I guess that's what happens when you have team mates sitting in the chase group messing everything up. I thought the sprinters would chase her down, then I realised the best sprinter was actually her team mate, and Vollering was also in that group and it all made sense. I suppose if Vollering went, then Van Vleuten would go too and that would just play into Lorena Wiebes hands. I don't think Kopecky is a GC threat so they were probably happy to let her go. Good for her though...every Jersey except the white jersey, plus the Stage win!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:41 am

A jumbo visma rider slammed into the rails - Eva van Agt. Looked nasty and off to hospital.

At this stage, not as thrilling (more like a bunch riding and hard for riders to get away and stay away) so hoping to see more action.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:35 pm

I was rooting for the solo breakaway rider to win, but alas the bunch just finished too fast. Very very close though!

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:41 am
A jumbo visma rider slammed into the rails - Eva van Agt. Looked nasty and off to hospital.

At this stage, not as thrilling (more like a bunch riding and hard for riders to get away and stay away) so hoping to see more action.
I think Van Vleuten is just biding her time until the Col du Tourmalet, at which time she'll just ride away from the Peloton and put 10 minutes on them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:41 pm

I know they're super fast, but the racings been a bit tame. Big bunches up front and not much action.

Last night Vollering was docked 20 seconds for blatant team car drafting and SBS didn't even show / mention it in the highlights.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:13 am

Could depend when the highlights were edited / commentated and when the race organisers released this info
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:13 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:41 pm
I know they're super fast, but the racings been a bit tame. Big bunches up front and not much action.

Last night Vollering was docked 20 seconds for blatant team car drafting and SBS didn't even show / mention it in the highlights.
They did show it when it happened, but she wasn't docked the time until well after the broadcast, and they did mention it before the next stage.

https://www.sbs.com.au/sport/video/voll ... /2bsw1pxg2

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:05 pm

ok, cheers

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:04 pm

Amazing riding up Tourmalet. Vollering put heaps of time into Van Vleuten !!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:04 pm
Amazing riding up Tourmalet. Vollering put heaps of time into Van Vleuten !!
It was great to see Demi putting AVA in a world of hurt and a huge effort from Kasia Niewiadoma to cross in 2nd and secure the QOM.

Should be an interesting TT tonight with 3rd place well and truly up for grabs, with 3-5th only split by 11 seconds.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:17 am

Amanda Spratt did well to maintain 10th overall !

Well done !

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:46 pm

A very fit male amateur head to head against a female pro's Strava data in robo-avatar form, programmed to simulate fatigue akin to one week of racing in the legs before tackling the Alpe d'Zwift climb:

5.4 watts per kilo when you're already fatigued :shock: If I ever did the real or simulated climb, I'd be happy to reach the top without cramping or having a heart attack, time be damned!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:21 pm

Mububban wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:46 pm

5.4 watts per kilo when you're already fatigued :shock: If I ever did the real or simulated climb, I'd be happy to reach the top without cramping or having a heart attack, time be damned!
Having seen that, I actually feel pretty good about my sloth like 50:12 PB up the Alpe du Zwift (on 100% Trainer Difficultly of course), and I am neither genetically gifted or anywhere near the top of the amateur cycling pyramid. At my lightest body weight I would need to be pushing on average 415W to achieve her time, which she can do with 265W thanks to weighing 30kg less than me.

Mind blown!