Worlds mens race

familyguy

Worlds mens race

Postby familyguy » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:55 pm

Just switched over for a bit of watching. Sad trombone. "Race temporarily interrupted by protestors". Hoping they cam3 get rolling soon, been a nesr 30 minute stoppage.

find_bruce

Re: Worlds mens race

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:21 am

Tough course but the riding made it brutal. Like most of the field I didn’t make it to the finish. No surprise at the top 4 - they always looked the strongest.

Fantastic race by Matthew Dinham
Anything you can do, I can do slower

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:53 am

I can't recall such an amazing line-up for this morning's time trial championship.

Rohan turned up to race, but had a mechanical on the final climb... but was probably outside the medals anyway. Great ride matey :)

Good work course organisers. Not. :twisted:
They turned the road race into a twisting cyclocross-like event. And cobbles on the final TT climb is total idiocy imho. The chance of slipping or mechanicals wrecking peoples races.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:24 am

stevenaaus wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:53 am
I can't recall such an amazing line-up for this morning's time trial championship.

Rohan turned up to race, but had a mechanical on the final climb... but was probably outside the medals anyway. Great ride matey :)

Good work course organisers. Not. :twisted:
They turned the road race into a twisting cyclocross-like event. And cobbles on the final TT climb is total idiocy imho. The chance of slipping or mechanicals wrecking peoples races.
Dennis crashed and went over the bars. It wasn't a mechanical which cost him time. Strange crash. Perhaps he grabbed too much front brake?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:15 pm

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 pm

Bummer. No wonder he was a little curt, having the cameraman chasing him around right in his face. Bloody legend getting back on and finishing so quickly

Possibly his brake handle got caught by a spectator.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:22 am

Organisers will always struggle with these type of disruptions. Even at the TDF we see protesters, including at finish-lines.

While I understand the message of protestors (green washing sponsors like Shell who have a multi-year deal with British cycling), the cyclists themselves who train and dedicate their lives to the sport are interrupted in one their most important career moments where they have close to zero direct impact on the sponsorship decisions and activities of sponsors.

I get it that it is highly visible… but feels like a simpleton approach and makes people who would be more receptive to their message, become opponents.

Overall, as it happened early enough I think the impact on the race result was limited and it was a welcone relief considered the high pace that saw so many pull out.

Enjoyable race… even Clarke was pushing it.
Cycling is in my BNA