Mixed groupset question

NeilR

Mixed groupset question

Postby NeilR » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:31 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am after some advice on a bike I am considering buying. It is a Trek Top Fuel 9.7.
It is a demo model from a reputable bike shop.
As far as I can tell it has the shimano group set as per the Trek website except instead of shimano brakes it has a sram DB8 system.
Would having a mixed group set cause anyone to have any concerns?
I think the price is pretty good but if the sram brakes are not up to par with the rest of the running gear I'll have a rethink.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Neil R

bychosis

Re: Mixed groupset question

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:52 am

Can’t see them being bad brakes on a 9.7. That’d be pretty much top spec model wouldn’t it?

Shimano has the current reputation for brakes over SRAM, but doesn’t mean SRAM make bad brakes, just that bang for buck shimano was the winner for a while.

FWIW my Trek remedy has SRAM drivetrain and Shimano brakes and I don’t have any dramas.

Worst case, you can swap out brakes fairly easily if you need.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:52 am

I have never used SRAM hydraulic disc brakes, but I have read, and been told by the senior mechanic at a Giant shop that they are pretty useless compared to Shimano hydraulic brakes. I think his words were something like - "Well at least you can stop the bike with Shimano, unlike SRAM".

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:23 am

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:52 am
I have never used SRAM hydraulic disc brakes, but I have read, and been told by the senior mechanic at a Giant shop that they are pretty useless compared to Shimano hydraulic brakes. I think his words were something like - "Well at least you can stop the bike with Shimano, unlike SRAM".
I went down many big mountain passes (8-12% downhill for 10km or more) with SRAM just the other week and had no problems stopping the bike.

He was being over dramatic I think. Or wants to shift Shimano equipped bikes they have…

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:56 am

Pretty common on MTBs to have a different brand of brakes to the groupsets. In the lower end it's common to have Tektro brakes with either SRAM or Shimano drivetrains. Not really a cause of concern, there is nothing wrong with SRAM brakes other than using DOT fluid which is less environmentally friendly and absorbs water compared to mineral oil.

Edit: turns out the SRAM brakes use mineral oil.
Last edited by blizzard on Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:56 pm

NeilR wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:31 pm

As far as I can tell it has the shimano group set as per the Trek website except instead of shimano brakes it has a sram DB8 system.
The Sram DB8 are there only mineral oil brake system.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-quie ... rakes.html

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:46 pm

Lots of bike manufacturers seem to do that. Almost a full groupset, except for brakes and cranks.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:25 pm

OnTrackZeD wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:56 pm
The Sram DB8 are there only mineral oil brake system.
Their*

I don't know what the DBs are like, but the Level series they replace had a really awful feel, like the pads were made of wood. SRAM do not make reliably good brakes; some sets can work fine for years, others are duds from the start. They're rather like Forrest Gump's box o' choclits - you never know what you're gon' git.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

NeilR

Postby NeilR » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. At this stage I have decided against buying the bike.