Bicycle transport to Australia

totolia

Bicycle transport to Australia

Postby totolia » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:45 am

Hello,
First of all, I apologize if it is not the correct subforum.

Me and my partner, for work reasons, are going to live in Sydney for a while.

We have both been cycling lovers for many years and we are looking into whether it is possible to take our road bicycles with us on a airplane.

We wanted to see if anyone has done it before and can explain their experience to us.

The first question is whether it is a problem at the level of regulation or taxes. We know that for bioenvironmental reasons, they must be very clean.

We are "two small people" and we were thinking of putting both in the same box (if they fit). I have a rigid transport box that I used to compete in Europe and we wanted to look at putting both in the same one. Obviously we would put a lot of protection between the two bicycles. If it is not allowed, we would buy a cardboard box for my partner's box. (I haven't found anywhere that says I can't carry two bikes together)

Would you find it very complicated? Or do you think it is better to buy a bicycle once in Sydney, Australia?

The cost of shipping a rigid bicycle box from what we have seen is around €150 from Europe using Air-France, Qatar, ...

Thoglette

Re: Bicycle transport to Australia

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:29 pm

If you like your bikes (and particularly if they’re NOT sporting bikes) then bring them. Check that your accommodation has secure areas to lock them up (esp. in the cities)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

pbekkerh

Re: Bicycle transport to Australia

Postby pbekkerh » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:34 am

Two bikes in the same box means one of you must check in the box and then it will (probably) be too big and/or too heavy for check in and has to be sent as freight.

I don't know what "a while" is but I brought my own bike from Europe for 2 months and had no problems concerning taxes etc.
Ghost SE7000
PlanetX Exocet
Colnago Sprint 1986
Solio 1910
Boreas Aër 2003
Bike Friday Tikit
Trailer Extrawheel I & II