Got hit by car - frame replacement suggestions?

havok44

Got hit by car - frame replacement suggestions?

Postby havok44 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:31 pm

Hi all - so I need to replace the frame on my bike. I was hit by a car and the frame cracked into 2 pieces.
The rest of the parts is fine and I have just managed to disassemble it all.

I have been scared of riding again since the accident but it was 8 months ago and I am finally feeling confident again.

Can anyone suggest a replacement frame I can buy to upgrade the old frame or should I just see if I can buy the frame only direct from the manufacturer? I need it to be BSA 68mm bottom bracket like the original to mount Bafang mid drive.

I still have her number (teenage car driver) - I dont know if its worth the hassle of getting her insurance to replace me with a new bike, I am happy to just get something and tinker myself.

Bike: Polygon Heist X5 (size L)
https://www.bikesonline.com.au/polygon- ... ybrid-bike

rkelsen

Re: Got hit by car - frame replacement suggestions?

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:46 pm

You suffered measurable loss from someone else's negligence.

It's up to you whether you want to push it or not, I guess. Seeing as the bike cost $900 brand new and she's a teenager, she may not want to go through insurance... which would be fine by me.

I'd still be asking the question, though.

The next question in my head is: If she hit you hard enough to snap your bike frame, how much damage did she do to your body? That's where proper compensation (i.e: from the TAC) might come into it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:36 pm

Two parts, when hot in an accudent, even if you may not choose to claim damaged, full reporting to the police and health checks and documentation are fundamental. If you let it slide, even when you can still take action later it gets harder if delayed to get anything. But a friendly approach with the driver to make a contribution could be favourable.

On the bike with a mid-drive as an ebike there is less supply of franes-only so even sourced locally, it can become a special case where it needs to be ordered and takes time. That said, polygon - through BicyclesOnlibe tend to be apprpachable… so call them as a 1:1 swap is the easiest solution.

You will struggle to order this from overseas… but haveca better chance with other brands… likely unknown / lesser known brands and then you may discover extra bits needed to complete the build (e.g new cable routing, accessories don’t fit).
Cycling is in my BNA

havok44

Postby havok44 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:26 pm

Thanks mate. So my collarbone was broken in 3 pieces and I needed surgery with a titanium plate put in, got carted away in an ambulance. I am undergoing physio for the last few months. This is all covered by her CTP and I have another surgery to remove the plate in 2 months. Its been horrible as I am in pain randomly and I can never sleep properly - so its been almost year since I had a full nights rest.

I enquired about compensation and the lawyers didnt seem too interested as maybe because I am not a tradie and my livelihood wasnt affected by the accident. I work a desk job. Not sure if I just got bad lawyers.

I would like to pursue compensation but its hard to go through all this without decent lawyers. Any recommendations?
Dealing with the insurance was horrible - trying to get my hospital visits and physio approved was a different sort of pain.

On the bike - should I just message her and say ... hmm what should I say? She was decent and said sorry but its been 9 months now

havok44

Postby havok44 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:28 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:36 pm
Two parts, when hot in an accudent, even if you may not choose to claim damaged, full reporting to the police and health checks and documentation are fundamental. If you let it slide, even when you can still take action later it gets harder if delayed to get anything. But a friendly approach with the driver to make a contribution could be favourable.
thanks mate - agree. I did go to the police after I got discharged from hospital and gave report. They didnt really do anything with it though. They wouldnt even tell me if they cahrged her or anything. Not that I wanted her charged. I am pretty sure she admitted to it all too - she basically knocked me off my bike came out of a side street with a stop sign and I was just going straight with right of way.

I suppose I will send her a text message and see what happens?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:00 pm

Glad to hear that it is all documented. I guess you can just reach out and see if you can get an arrangement… fingers crossed as that would be the easiest approach.
Cycling is in my BNA