lube

zebee

lube

Postby zebee » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:55 pm

So what are people using to lubricate their miles of chain?

I am leaning towards some kind of wax thing as I found most lubes were mucky and a bit dangerous around a high racer's front rings.

But a bit of reading says that waxes need a lot of cleaning before re-application including a fair bit of work around the various cogs which is probably even more work around idlers and the trike's chain gobbler

So what's your favourite?

TrikeTragic

Re: lube

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:57 pm

Last chain replacement and drivetrain update by my LBS a few months ago. (Mal and Dave at Diamond Creek Bicycles, outer north east Melbourne).

Recommended by Mal (and used to lubricate the replacement chain): Rock N Roll Gold "The King of Lubes" , the boys say it's not an oil, but it does contain petroleum distillates. Instructions say to stream it on (not drip) free wheel for a few seconds then wipe off excess with a rag. Cleans and lubricates, doesn't build up on the drivetrain like a wax lube might. Definitely makes the chain look wetter than a silicon based lube. We'll see how it does with this chain & front cog set.

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:05 pm

Wax.
I haven't cleaned my chain in 18000km (M5CHR), simply remove from the bike and "cook" it in molten wax again. As long as you don't put any other lubricant on it between the molten wax bath. The trike gets the same treatment but it's only done 2000km.

I've never had to clean or scrape away wax buildup from the idlers or cassette. It just stays clean.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:03 am

skyblot wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:05 pm
It just stays clean.
That’s about the size of it.

My chains get a wipe with mineral turps to get the worst of the car-dust off before going into the wax. And then the excess hot wax gets wiped off, taking a bit more filth with it.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:04 pm

skyblot wrote:
Wax.
I haven't cleaned my chain in 18000km (M5CHR), simply remove from the bike and "cook" it in molten wax again. As long as you don't put any other lubricant on it between the molten wax bath. The trike gets the same treatment but it's only done 2000km.

I've never had to clean or scrape away wax buildup from the idlers or cassette. It just stays clean.
oh my lost youth! taking the chain off the motorcycle and boiling it in Duckhams! (While trying hard not to oil the stove...)

I dunno you can get a can of Duckhams these days, what are you using and how do you heat it?

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:00 pm

zebee wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:04 pm
skyblot wrote:
Wax.

oh my lost youth! taking the chain off the motorcycle and boiling it in Duckhams! (While trying hard not to oil the stove...)

I dunno you can get a can of Duckhams these days, what are you using and how do you heat it?
Ah yes, Duckhams. I did that too, but then moved to shaft drive motorcycles.

I just use candle wax with a little paraffin oil to soften the wax so it's not so brittle. I'm not chasing ultimate speed... When I was commuting I'd re-wax every 600km, or about once a month when the bike got a look over. I have an old electric frypan that the wax stays in permanently. I do monitor the temperature carefully with a thermometer though.