Car Bike Racks

Aushiker

Car Bike Racks

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:54 am

For those who transport your e-bikes around with your vehicles, what rack do use/recommend? I am assuming tow ball racks unless you have a particularly light e-bike. My forthcoming one will be just under 30 kg, so I will need a substantial rack with a ramp.

I am thinking along the lines of the Yakima OnRamp 2" or the Buzzrack E-Scorpion 1 Platform 1 which has lights and number plate frame. Only need to carry one bike.

TIA

bychosis

Re: Car Bike Racks

Postby bychosis » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:00 am

No real knowledge, but I do know my brother removes his e-bike battery for loading the bike onto a rack most of the time. Makes it a bit lighter.

If you’re only carrying one bike, the platform style seems to be ‘least lifting’
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:15 am

Andrew, some racks only have a cup for each wheel so the bike has to lifted onto the rack. Not easy when the bike weighs more than 20 kg. The Yakima would be good with its integrated ramp. I have a two bike Buzzrack e-Scorpion. A ramp is available separately but I find it to be it unnecessary. I can easily raise the front wheel onto the rack by applying the rear brake and leaning back on the bars, then rolling the front wheel across as I lift the rear wheel by the chainstay. The Buzzrack has many thoughtful design features and the quality is very good.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:11 pm

bychosis wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:00 am
No real knowledge, but I do know my brother removes his e-bike battery for loading the bike onto a rack most of the time. Makes it a bit lighter.
Good tip. I had seen others mention doing this as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:18 pm

RonK wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:15 am
The Yakima would be good with its integrated ramp. I have a two bike Buzzrack e-Scorpion. A ramp is available separately but I find it to be it unnecessary. I can easily raise the front wheel onto the rack by applying the rear brake and leaning back on the bars, then rolling the front wheel across as I lift the rear wheel by the chainstay. The Buzzrack has many thoughtful design features and the quality is very good.

Thanks for the feedback on the Buzzrack. I do like their design, it just was not a name I am familiar with.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:11 pm
bychosis wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:00 am
Good tip. I had seen others mention doing this as well.
Also makes the bike a LOT less attractive as a target for theft.

Richard