Rain Jacket - Current Thinking

Aushiker

Rain Jacket - Current Thinking

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:57 pm

I am in the market for a new rain jacket for bikepacking (packs small)/touring duties (and day-to-day riding), but it needs to tick the touring box first and foremost.

7MESH's SkyPilot would be very nice, but at US$450 + postage, it is likely to stay on the wish list.

Ground Effect's Rivet looks interesting at AU$305. Apparently, it packs down small and has good specifications. There is no hood, which is a nice feature to have in my experience.

The alternative from Ground Effect is the Storm Trooper, which has the same specifications as the Rivet but is heavier at 340 grams versus 260 grams. It does have an under-helmet hood, but I haven't found any details on how small it packs down.

Are there any other suitable options, particularly with bikepacking in mind?
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

am50em

Re: Rain Jacket - Current Thinking

Postby am50em » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:06 pm

https://provizsports.com/en-au/products ... ing-jacket
On special but at 400g maybe too heavy for your purposes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:17 pm

am50em wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:06 pm
https://provizsports.com/en-au/products ... ing-jacket
On special but at 400g maybe too heavy for your purposes.
Thanks for the suggestion, but with a 10,000mm waterproof rating and a breathability rating of 10,000 gm/24hr I am not sure it would cope well over any decent period of rain, keeping in mind I can be out for eight hours or more.

For comparison, the Ground Effect ratings are 23,000 mm hydrostatic head with a water-repellent finish for waterproofness and 33,000 gm per sqm per 24hr for breathability.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:34 pm

Where are the pockets,vents and pit zips? Considered unfashionable these days perhaps?

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:38 pm

I have some 7mesh stuff, and it is extremely good quality gear, but as you say expensive. For reference I have the rebellion jacket, which is more a road orientated jacket. I also have a Gore shake dry jacket, and I reckon the lightweight 7mesh goretex jacket is just as breathable

I have had various other jackets I have used for touring. The marmot essence is extremely good. Super lightweight and packable, reliably waterproof but excellent breathabity, useable hood. Good for both on the bike and off the bike. It is not cycling specific, but has worked well for me touring.

This site in Oz seems to have them on sale at a pretty reasonable price, although limited sizes and colours

https://www.sevenhorizons.com.au/produc ... 4579232580

Disclaimer : I know nothing about that site, never used them, just googled the jacket and it came up :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:51 pm

Leaf T wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:34 pm
Where are the pockets,vents and pit zips? Considered unfashionable these days, perhaps?

They are often available but generally in heavier and bulky jackets. Ground Effect does something along those lines: The Anti-Cyclone.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:53 pm

Thanks, Robbo. My credit card is trembling at the thought of 7Mesh :)

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:53 pm
I was lucky. I bought my 7mesh in Squamish Canada, which is where they are based, pretty early on, so got it for a relatively good price. The current prices are eye watering :shock:

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:03 pm

I have had my Ground Effect Storm Trooper for 11 years now, I mostly do Audax so mostly just press on if it rains, have done a few rides with heavy rain for 12 hours. I can't say I was bone dry after but the dampness inside was far less than outside the jacket and I reckon mostly was self generated (was older type Storm trooper with zippers under the arm pits, not as breathable as current model spec), also stops wind very well. Doesn't pack down to hanky size but folds into its own back pocket which gets turned insideout exposing a belt so the whole thing turns into a smallish bumbag. Mine still looks bright (orange) , no wear, holes etc, almost new looking, my spouse uses it for her bush walks so it gets a fair amount of use. I would not hesitate getting a new version if it was required, very recommended.
PS The hood is great, maybe the best feature, perfectly effective for riding in heavy rain without obscuring vision etc
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:53 am

Aushiker, have you considered one of those rain cape Poncho type jackets, great for the warmer weather and you don't sweat hardly at all. I have an AGU one i bought from Omafiets a long while ago and they work amazingly well and the only part really that gets wet is the lower part of your legs but all the while it's ventilated from the bottom.

https://www.omafiets.com.au/rover-rain-cape.html

The guys and girls there tour a fair bit and reckon they are great for bike touring.

Worth consideration.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:33 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:18 pm
Aushiker wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:53 pm
I was lucky. I bought my 7mesh in Squamish Canada, which is where they are based, pretty early on, so got it for a relatively good price. The current prices are eye watering :shock:
Nice win, but yes eye watering is an adapt description.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:34 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:03 pm
I have had my Ground Effect Storm Trooper for 11 years now, I mostly do Audax so mostly just press on if it rains, have done a few rides with heavy rain for 12 hours. I can't say I was bone dry after but the dampness inside was far less than outside the jacket and I reckon mostly was self generated (was older type Storm trooper with zippers under the arm pits, not as breathable as current model spec), also stops wind very well. Doesn't pack down to hanky size but folds into its own back pocket which gets turned insideout exposing a belt so the whole thing turns into a smallish bumbag. Mine still looks bright (orange) , no wear, holes etc, almost new looking, my spouse uses it for her bush walks so it gets a fair amount of use. I would not hesitate getting a new version if it was required, very recommended.
PS The hood is great, maybe the best feature, perfectly effective for riding in heavy rain without obscuring vision etc
Thank you for your feedback on your Storm Trooper. Very helpful.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:35 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:53 am
Aushiker, have you considered one of those rain cape Poncho type jackets, great for the warmer weather and you don't sweat hardly at all. I have an AGU one i bought from Omafiets a long while ago and they work amazingly well and the only part really that gets wet is the lower part of your legs but all the while it's ventilated from the bottom.

https://www.omafiets.com.au/rover-rain-cape.html

The guys and girls there tour a fair bit and reckon they are great for bike touring.

Worth consideration.

Cheers

brumby33

Thanks, Brumby for the suggestion. Will take a look.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:43 pm

I use a rain poncho on my Brompton. Feet can get wet and there is a certain amount of storm sail effect - if you are riding into the wind you will feel it!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:28 am

zebee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:43 pm
I use a rain poncho on my Brompton. Feet can get wet and there is a certain amount of storm sail effect - if you are riding into the wind you will feel it!
Zebee, that would happen also even if wearing rain pants but the ponchos are really designed for rainy days, not storms.
A pair of overboots may prevent the wet feet, even seen some wearing short wellies.
But i find in most cases, the poncho will keep me 80% dry and that includes not sweating due to ventilation.
The poncho would be adequate in all but torrential downpours and would probably would still work.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:40 am

Interesting watching https://youtu.be/om8HtyMnVvI; I see that Sarah is wearing a Rab jacket. I could not work out what Josh was wearing.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:34 pm

I am happy with my ShowersPass but they are not cheap!
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:23 am

An update. I was holding off on a purchase, given it has been so dry here, so I didn't need a new jacket, but it is getting closer to winter, and I saw that 7MESH had the Copilot on sale with an extra 20% off, coupon code 'AprilShowers" so pulled the trigger. The cost worked out at $325 plus postage.

I will no doubt find out soon if it lives up to the hype.