travel to school - consultation

zebee

travel to school - consultation

Postby zebee » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 am

Came across this in r/sydney

https://www.haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/acti ... -to-school

You can have your say on walking and bike riding to school by completing a survey, taking a quick poll or sharing your ideas. Your feedback will help the NSW Government understand what things would need to change to encourage more parents and carers to walk or ride with their children to school more often

Thoglette

Re: travel to school - consultation

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:23 pm

Do you have children, or care for, children who are in day-care or school?
What do you like about parents and carers walking or riding with their children to school?
What things would need to change to encourage your children to walk or ride to school more often?
Do you have any other suggestions to help encourage your school community to walk or ride to school more often?

#facepalm.

I mean, that's a lot easier than doing a literature review. After all, what could anyone outside the 2GB broadcast area possibly know?

At least there's enough interest to ask.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:30 am

Thoglette wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:23 pm
#facepalm
Yep.

Modern society is mentally ill.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:59 pm

Submission done. It will probably go nowhere however.

Lower speed limits, enforcement actions against bad driver behaviour etc.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:29 pm

As someone who often drives school buses to different schools here in Albury and have done for many years in Sydney regions as well, there's often an issue where if a children live within 1.5kms of a school, they are not entitled to get a school bus pass so therefore if they use school buses, they have to pay a half fare entitlement although I never charge them at all.
So that's the State Government's fault by not allowing kids reasonably close to a school catch school buses for free so what do the parents do, back out their SUV's and drive them there hence why there's so many cars around school zones causing all sorts of issues because they are all there at the same time.

Down here I see quite a few kids of even primary school age ride to school on their bikes as it's relatively flat and they're allowed to ride on the footpaths. I've often seen some parents ride with them,,,which is good.

There's got to be a way where car traffic around school zones are limited, speed dropped from 40kph to 25kph perhaps.

When i was in Sydney, it was very rare to see children riding their bikes to school, but in the regional areas you'll see more of them. Actually i was surprised at the amount of schools there was in this regional City, public and private.

Some kids ride scooters as well so are not dependant on car transport unless it's a rainy day.

On our school bus runs we can cover and take kids from 2 and up to 6 or more schools. Often for the Primary kids, they get the school bus and meet their parents at some point with the car but at least that Parent is not crowding around the school area with their cars.

Anyway, this is what i've observed during my 12 Months down here as a Bus driver.

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB