Di2 shifter compatibility with brake hoses

open roader

Di2 shifter compatibility with brake hoses

Postby open roader » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:44 pm

I should qualify the following by stating that I know next to nothing about Shimano groupsets - even less so about di2. Campag yes, ShimaNO..........

I have a bike fitted with a 105 11 speed mechanical disc groupset. My hands are battered from 35 years of abuse. I find it uncomfortable, bordering painful pushing the Shimano brake levers laterally to shift gears. I can do it effectively but the discomfort really detracts from the ride to the point where I occasionally just alter cadence forsaking another gear shift.

Ideally I'd like to convert this bike to Campagnolo H11 EPS as I love thumb shifters and the electric shifting requires just a tap of the levers but these groupsets are few and far between.

I rode a friend's bike fitted with 10 speed Di2. The hoods are still very long but the electric shifting is considerably easier for my hands, particularly my left hand.

I'm now considering if it's a simple thing to convert my 11speed 105 mechanical disc to 11 speed Di2?

In particular can I leave the current internal routed brake hoses in situ and simply swap over / bleed a pair of Di2 disc shifters? Might be a deal breaker if it's that straight forward.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Re: Di2 shifter compatibility with brake hoses

Postby Duck! » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:48 pm

The hose connections are identical across all Shimano road 11-sp, and some later 10-sp. systems with disc brakes, so it's quite easy to switch from mech to Di2 shifting with just a little fluid top-up to the brakes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:24 am

It is also worth noting that the newer Di2 shifters will have a 3rd button on top of the hoods that can be programmed to change gears.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am

kilroy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:24 am
It is also worth noting that the newer Di2 shifters will have a 3rd button on top of the hoods that can be programmed to change gears.
Not 105 di2 though, no buttons. He's running 11-speed, in any case.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:09 am

You can keep the hydraulics set up (cables & brakes).

but will need a pair of DI2-hydraulic 11s shifters, DI2 cables, junction boxes, 2x derailleurs, battery, charger.

good thing is ..there are many 11s DI2 parts in the used market.
can't go wrong.

also check this website if you have any questions re mixing of DI2 components ..
https://bettershifting.com/di2-compatib ... omponents/

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:44 pm

biker jk wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am
kilroy wrote:
My 11 speed Ultegra 8070 shifters have the button.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:11 pm

kilroy wrote:

Ah, so! That's what it is?
I haven't seen this button on a recent test ride of a GIANT TCR running ULTEGRA. If per chance there are variations, is the button hidden under the hood? Granted I have seen, somewhere at some time, a lever/button sticking out of the inboard side of levers. Is this what is being referred to?
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:58 pm

caneye wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:09 am
also check this website if you have any questions re mixing of DI2 components ..

+100 to the above site. It's brilliant.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:56 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:11 pm
kilroy wrote:

Ah, so! That's what it is?
I haven't seen this button on a recent test ride of a GIANT TCR running ULTEGRA. If per chance there are variations, is the button hidden under the hood? Granted I have seen, somewhere at some time, a lever/button sticking out of the inboard side of levers. Is this what is being referred to?
The extra button is hidden under the rubber hood cover, on the flat section at the peak of the shifter. Dura-Ace Di2 shifters have always had it, but it didn't get to Ultegra until the R8050/8070 models. By default the buttons are programmed to do stuff on compatible computers via Bluetooth connection (requires a wireless transmitter unit plugged into the wiring harness) but can be reprogrammed through the E-Tube software to become additional shifters.

The sticky-outy lever you've previously seen would be the cable release (upshift) trigger on older low-end series Sora and 2200/2300, forerunner to what is now named Claris. None of the Di2 shifters have had sticky-outy levers/buttons on the inboard side. Campagnolo's EPS equivalent does have them.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:03 pm

biker jk wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am
kilroy wrote:
105 Di2 is part of the very different 12-sp. family and mostly incompatible with previous stuff, so not even worth mentioning in the context of this thread.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:58 pm
caneye wrote:

Or just ask me.... ;)

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:19 pm

OK, got all that, thanks. As I've commented in another post about Campagnolo, I have not seen anything at all of the groupsets, much less shifters, the most having been seen (and almost causing a faint...) was a small plastic bidon with Campagnolo on it costing all of $55.00 (!!) :shock:

But I digress...
I fiddle with my SRAM Force eTap shifters using SRAM's AXS app on android.
At this time I have not got a Wahoo 'puter that keeps track of what the drivetrain and shifters do; there is a limit to how much one can sensibly spend in one hit before stepping back for a Navy-strength gin and lamingtons to plot the next cashectomy!! :lol:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:43 pm

Error, ignore
Last edited by davehirst on Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 pm

"Navy-strength gin and lamingtons",
Surely it would be navy strength rum

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:48 am

Duck! wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:05 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:58 pm
caneye wrote:

Or just ask me.... ;)
And what a great resource and patient explainer of the wonderful world of Shimano !!

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:16 am

davehirst wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 pm
"Navy-strength gin and lamingtons",
Surely it would be navy strength rum
Nup. Not a rum drinker! :P

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 pm

Ok, james bond strength gin

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:47 pm

..........this was all in aid of avoiding me going for my plan A which was to switch the current 105 11sp to Campagnolo H11 EP$.

I assumed a 2nd hand Campagnolo H11 EPS groupset would be a more expensive option than some 2nd hand Di2 parts and by a considerable margin, however, after looking at the prices asked for 2nd hand Di2 (both Ultegra and DuraAce offerings) it seems to me that the cost may be on par or Campagnolo may be cheaper :shock: OMGosh

Either way I'll have to remove the pedal assist down tube battery from the frame so fiddle wise both options are similar - Campag being slightly more fiddly with new hydro lines having to be installed.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:11 am

open roader wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:47 pm
..........this was all in aid of avoiding me going for my plan A which was to switch the current 105 11sp to Campagnolo H11 EP$.

I assumed a 2nd hand Campagnolo H11 EPS groupset would be a more expensive option than some 2nd hand Di2 parts and by a considerable margin, however, after looking at the prices asked for 2nd hand Di2 (both Ultegra and DuraAce offerings) it seems to me that the cost may be on par or Campagnolo may be cheaper :shock: OMGosh

Either way I'll have to remove the pedal assist down tube battery from the frame so fiddle wise both options are similar - Campag being slightly more fiddly with new hydro lines having to be installed.
Qualifier : I have no experience with EPS.

However, on Weight Weenies Forum, there are many posts of the scarcity of spares for EPS (chargers, batteries etc) so would be REALLY careful with buying a s/hand EPS, v1 or 2 for that very reason.
May also be a leader/reason as to why the value of the items is less.

Good luck whatever you do, but yet, Di2 parts seem to be really pricey !

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:19 pm

I had a look at used EPS groupsets a while back. Yes, the prices are comparative to used DA DI2 groupsets. I put it simply to the lack of demand for EPS. Also notice that they take a long time to sell.

I've been able to pick up used 11s DI2 groupsets for $600-800.

Have you seen used SRAM AXS groupsets?
They make DI2 look like a bargain.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Di2 used rim brake prices are considerably lower than the used disc set prices.

I've just started looking - need to be patient..........

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:05 am

caneye wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:19 pm
I had a look at used EPS groupsets a while back. Yes, the prices are comparative to used DA DI2 groupsets. I put it simply to the lack of demand for EPS. Also notice that they take a long time to sell.

I've been able to pick up used 11s DI2 groupsets for $600-800.

Apples and oranges. It does depend on what you want in terms of performance and function.
SRAM has never been a bargain buy, never when it was first into road, nor more broadly into MTB.

The SRAM AXS has an especially wide range of tuning available via the app — moreso than the Shimano. A lot of time can be squandered at coffee stops stepping through so many available tweaks and features! There is a major update in the works scheduled for the SRAM app that takes tuning even further (late-April?).

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:58 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:05 am

Apples and oranges. It does depend on what you want in terms of performance and function.
SRAM has never been a bargain buy, never when it was first into road, nor more broadly into MTB.

The SRAM AXS has an especially wide range of tuning available via the app — moreso than the Shimano. A lot of time can be squandered at coffee stops stepping through so many available tweaks and features! There is a major update in the works scheduled for the SRAM app that takes tuning even further (late-April?).
oh .. i never view SRAM that way. It was always just another alternative to DI2.
interesting that others view it differently. it's probably me :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:29 pm

caneye wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:19 pm
I don't know about others, but I wonder how many used SRAM AXS group sets would be out there?

Mine is running fine so I have no need to sell it.

In any case, they are a means to get somewhere - so I don't get how some treat it almost like a religion. One of my bikes has Shimano cranks, another one has Di2 (the TT bike), two of them SRAM E-Tap (11 and 12 speed) and some of my other bikes have older mechanical Dura Ace 9000.

The only thing I haven't done is got into those Italian groupsets (or Italian bikes). :shock:

Anything groupset related or bike components now is crazy expensive. :( From any of the brands.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:29 pm
I don't know about others, but I wonder how many used SRAM AXS group sets would be out there?

Mine is running fine so I have no need to sell it.

In any case, they are a means to get somewhere - so I don't get how some treat it almost like a religion.
Maybe it's one of the reasons that I''m now ex-industry.... I never understood why people would fork out Megabucks to replace stuff that functions perfectly, and often more than adequately for the particular rider, for no other reason than it's not the Current Sh...tuff.

I got up my former boss's nose on numerous occasions for having the audacity to actually fix stuff rather than just chucking new bits on.... :roll: