KNOG Blinder 900 front light

CmdrBiggles

KNOG Blinder 900 front light

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:13 pm

Anybody here using this and can offer insight and commentary on performance and illumination? It will be mounted below the stock-supplied out-front bracket that holds my iGPSPORT iG320 'puter.

The TCR is fitted with a Bontrager 200RT presently as a presence marker, and while tiny and inconspicuous, it does not throw any useful light out front. The KNOG apparently has illumination below (flood) and straight ahead (spot), 4 LEDs total. My rides are now around 1.30 hours from about 7pm AEST (and we still have daylight stealing until 7th April....

Now that autumn has started, my evening rides are looking decidedly a tad darker, sooner, than they were last September.

The KNOG is being looked at on Pushy's website (a rav-fav, along with the excellent folk at CCACHE), $114 and ninety-nine-point-nine cents... (so, works out about $115... :) )

https://www.knog.com/products/blinder-9 ... qIQAvD_BwE
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

g-boaf

Re: KNOG Blinder 900 front light

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:13 pm

I'm sure I remember a discussion recently on lights that spoke about "be seen" lights and those lights that actually allow you to see when it is dark.

I'm using Serfas e-Lume lights of various types, the following is an old Serfas e-Lume 1600:

Excuse the battle scars, it has been going for a lot of years. The batteries died on it a year back so I just ordered new batteries from Serfas as spare parts and fitted them. Easy. It also once went flying down the road when I didn't have it clipped in properly. Only at low speed but it survived.

That's a fairly standard Barfly Garmin edge mount with a go-pro adaptor fitted to it (using some small screws and nuts to fasten it), then the e-Lume light has a standard GoPro adapter. Since I have very flat bars and the famous Cervelo S5 V-stem, putting extra things on that bike is tricky.

I would suggest a brighter light than the one you've chosen. My early morning rides at the moment are at 5:30am when it is extremely dark so that light really makes it a lot safer - eg, this morning on a high speed downhill section of road and a black cat ran across in front of me. I was able to see it easily. I generally don't need to run that light at anything more than the lowest setting.

My Canyon Ultimate CF Evo is running a similar mounting method adapted to the Canyon H36 Garmin mount and a Serfas e-Lume 1750.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:35 pm

I have giant recon hl1100 mounted on a go pro mout the same as GB has his.
Good run time, bright enough for my use and compact.

https://road.cc/content/review/giant-re ... 100-279275
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm

One of the great inventions of our time...
...the now-commonplace Go-Pro mount that gets lights off the top of the handlebar down out front, in the middle where they need to be. Just brilliant.

Meanwhile...
I have a return/refund coming from CCache in Sydney this week of c. $98 for an unwanted K-EDGE computer mount (ta-da! The TCR came with its own coterie of useful mounts!) which could likely be put toward the cost of the Knog Blinder; they have been emailed details of this. Only a very small area of my riding is on dark roads; I generally do not feel confident on the road bike to take to pitch-black roads; I can do what I want on an MTB, but a road bike — no, I'm just being cautious and careful at this time. Plenty of light in the immediate vicinity of home, and into town especially.

For mention:
I have an older 9000 lumen (!) GEMINI Quad lightset on the MTB. I guarantee miscreant country drifting motorists will not only be startled in awe, but will be stopped dead in their tracks in a zombie-trance so I can safely pass! In reality, that ginormous thumping of lumens is for hammering away on the MTB on the pitch black forest roads nearby — something I last did in late-December around midnight!
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:14 pm

Okey.
Got the Knog 900 Blinder from Pushys, due Thursday. As I have some work in Big Smoke tomorrow and Wednesday, I'm fine to set the TCR aside and kit it up for the new light in a few days. He assures me that output is more than enough to see with, and be seen by.

Unlike mountain biking (haven't had a flat on the MTB for many years!), I am averse to riding the roadie at night (=at this time=) because of the spectre of copping a flat somewhere and being unable to see or repair that effectively in darkness.

Had a detailed look locally at several Lezyne front lights — among them being the CLASSIC DRIVE XL 700 that stood out, but...none of the Lezyne lights have the now-common and first-preference Go-Pro under-computer mount attachment. Essentially, they all attach with a band to the handlebar. OK for some. Not OK for me. 8)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:19 am

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:14 pm
Had a detailed look locally at several Lezyne front lights — among them being the CLASSIC DRIVE XL 700 that stood out, but...none of the Lezyne lights have the now-common and first-preference Go-Pro under-computer mount attachment. Essentially, they all attach with a band to the handlebar. OK for some. Not OK for me. 8)
There is a go-pro adapter for Lezyne lights - I have 3 Lezyne lights with the adapter.

https://www.pushys.com.au/lezyne-led-fr ... mount.html