2024 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

g-boaf

Re: 2024 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:33 pm

The law must get tough on these bad drivers, be it cars, trucks or buses. Put almighty fear into them so that they are much more cautious.

What makes it so hard for these Australian truck drivers to do the right thing versus their compatriots overseas in heavy trucks who have to navigate often tricky, winding roads and manage to do so giving bicycle riders plenty of space? Yes, I've done a lot of riding overseas and have plenty of safe experiences of trucks giving me lots of room and passing carefully.

Answer: Nothing! It's just that our truck drivers are wound up full of BS from the usual right wing sources telling them to target riders or any other similar types on their roads.

And for what it's worth, there is a history of driving large trucks in my family as well. :!:

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Riding across the Nullabor from Perth to Adelaide has been on my bucket list for ages but it seems that things have become so dangerous out there that it could quite literally be the end of me…. A hood ornament on a truck radiator is not quite how I plan to go out… major bummer.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am

I have done this ride twice in my Rotovelo, both times carrying and using a handheld CB radio ..(to listen in to road traffic & give my position regularly to others, in the hope that it would keep me a bit safer) ..and can confirm many of the truck drivers do indeed speak absolute vitriol about anyone cycling on "their" road... both rides across the Nullarbor I had to turn the radio off as I could no longer handle their crap! :evil:

Yeah I know a Lady who now retired but a decade or more ago she spent a few years driving Road Trains between Darling Downs Qld and Darwin.
She said she quickly got tired of listening to all the obscenities on CB radio.

Her strategy to cope with long hours and tedium was listen to “CD books” that were quite popular in that era. She could borrow them from her local municipal library.

Prob bit similar to listening to podcasts these days.

I sometimes listen to the “Seek Travel Ride” podcast by Bella Molloy. She has very interesting interviewees.

About a year ago she interviewed young woman (Claire Wyatt) who at the time I think had ridden from Melbourne to Darwin
Clare said that she had actually found the Truckies CB (Channel 10 i think) very useful while she rode across the Savanna way from Cairns to the NT Border
She did say there was some crude content but on the radio to her, most of the Truckies were appreciative and supportive when she announced her locations on the road

But that would be a very different road environment to the road between Perth and South Australia.
Probably very much less traffic and much less CB radio traffic and perhaps the factor of her (Claire) being young foreign woman in the outback

Rando

Postby Rando » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:55 pm

I always get tempted by this ride, and always get put off by the danger.
I attempted to ride from Perth to Whyalla back in May '85, and gave up after a handlebar scrape with the last trailer of a road train. I went down behind him after he'd passed. A few things caused it. One was I was only hearing the approaching truck, and didn't look behind. His sound was covered by the headwind and the approaching. Yes he should have slowed, but they don't. I was carrying 14 litres of water in the front panniers and that made some difference to steering response. The last trailer, (I guess there were three) had a bit of lateral movement and that is what touched me. Felt pretty horrible and ended my long distance cycling. I pedalled on to Madura and found a truck driver willing to throw the bike up on the load and take me to Iron Knob. I'd had it with the head winds anyway, and my knee hurt.
These days I only go on the road with a 300 lumen flasher and a good mirror. If they don't move over, I get off.
Soon will buy a radar.
Does anyone know what flasher Chris was using? Not that it makes any difference if a rogue truckie is trying to hit people.
Lizard Edge Streamliner
Trisled Nitro
Velokraft VK2
M5 Shockprufe
Copenhagen Pedersen
'49 Super Elliot flat tracker

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:04 pm

Very relevant is tiredness of drivers, nobody, but nobody is well rested driving the Nullabor, this tiredness brings out the idiot in them and we've seen the results. Devastating !

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm

The tally is now three killed in this years event, that's just madness. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:39 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm

Really? I can only find information on Chris Barker's death, which is still one too many.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:39 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Really? I can only find information on Chris Barker's death, which is still one too many.
:shock: can't be!.... I'm following the Dot Watchers FB page...

there's only been mention of Chris, :cry: and one other rider, (PK Koala) ending up in Perth Hospital. :( ...

many others have made their own personal decision and withdrawn from the ride.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:40 pm

I was never tempted by this ride though some of my associates have.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:15 pm

Mububban wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:38 pm
A workmate is doing this ride from Fremantle to Sydney:
Has your mate continued? It's a tough decision & I can understand people making either call
Anything you can do, I can do slower

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:44 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:39 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

I was reading it on a news site early this afternoon, I'll see if I can find it again.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 pm

I can't find the article now but possibly a stuff up with the comments.

Foo
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 am

It's a really sad situation that too many people have been injured and/or killed.

But I am surprised that there isn't tougher rules re support (and protection) for those participating, especially on major highway stretches like the Nullabor.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 am
It's a really sad situation that too many people have been injured and/or killed.

But I am surprised that there isn't tougher rules re support (and protection) for those participating, especially on major highway stretches like the Nullabor.
As someone else already mentioned I think, the event hasn't been an official one for several years now, which means there's no official support. Even when it was an official event, there was never any support provided.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:08 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am
MichaelB wrote:

As someone else already mentioned I think, the event hasn't been an official one for several years now, which means there's no official support. Even when it was an official event, there was never any support provided.
Whether it's official or not doesn't absolve any of those that created the event in the 1st place.

The current one may not be official, but it has some organisation

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:16 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:08 am
Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am
MichaelB wrote:

Whether it's official or not doesn't absolve any of those that created the event in the 1st place.

The current one may not be official, but it has some organisation
Not any more, it doesn't. This is from the website:
indianpacificwheelrace.com wrote:Please note that we, Team Dragon Face, no longer have any involvement in the Indian Pacific Wheel Race.

Any person deciding to ride the IPWR course as their own endurance or bike touring challenge chooses to do so individually. No information to assist or facilitate such pursuits will be provided. Dragon Face Pry Ltd has no association with GPS tracking companies that riders may use while undergoing the IPWR. This web page is purely a historical and informative reference to the 2017 edition. Thanks for your understanding. Stay safe out there. Respect and look after each other.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:44 am

Fair enuf.

Still think it's wrong, morally.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 pm

It is sad that that support is needed but I really wonder if each rider should have a van (or some huge USA pick up truck) with them not “supporting” but as a safety measure to keep trucks away from them.

Of course that would upset some about the idea of it softening the “event” (or personal challenge) but it seems necessary.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 pm

When we did our 24hr 671km Opperman All Day Trial in March 2012 from Widgiemooltha to Fremantle we had a support vehicle that drove behind us with a trailer featuring a large sign warning traffic of us 3 Audax cyclists. It worked a treat with trucks taking a wide berth down the other side of Great Eastern Hwy. Kudos to our support lady driver for driving most of the distance at cycling speed! We averaged about 32.5 kmh moving average outside of meal and other stops.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:15 pm
Mububban wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:38 pm
A workmate is doing this ride from Fremantle to Sydney:
Has your mate continued? It's a tough decision & I can understand people making either call

Yeah he withdrew immediately upon hearing the news, as did several others. His wife drove the ~700kms he'd covered to go pick him up. So rather than 5 weeks spent on the adventure of a lifetime, he's gone home after one week. But he gets to have a lifetime :(

He'll be back at work in a couple of weeks. All the riders had met each other before the start so I imagine this will be something he'll be processing for quite some time.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

recumbenteer

Re: 2024 Indian Pacific Wheel Ride

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:02 pm

First rider, Omar Di Felice has arrived at the Sydney Opera House... earlier this morning... just beating the first dose of heavy rain.. 8)

Those behind are in for a few wet days if they continue on... a good excuse for a rest day :wink:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 pm
It is sad that that support is needed but I really wonder if each rider should have a van (or some huge USA pick up truck) with them not “supporting” but as a safety measure to keep trucks away from them.

Of course that would upset some about the idea of it softening the “event” (or personal challenge) but it seems necessary.
It was a few years ago now, but the rider doing a round the world bike ride had a support van and I believe it was in QLD where a motorist ran straight into the back of the van with a big sign on it saying "Caution: Cyclist ahead"
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:15 pm

think referring to Mark Beaumont "around the world in 80 days" and photo was captioned as "near Melbourne"

(poor quality) crop of photo that should be credited to Johnny Swanepoel from Mark Beaumont’s “Around the World in 80 Days” Bantam Press 2018

LG

Postby LG » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 pm

Saw ridedanride and the Vegas near Tumut pond dam this morning, fair bit of climbing on their agenda yesterday and today
LG = Low Gear

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:10 pm

antigee wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:15 pm
think referring to Mark Beaumont "around the world in 80 days" and photo was captioned as "near Melbourne"

(poor quality) crop of photo that should be credited to Johnny Swanepoel from Mark Beaumont’s “Around the World in 80 Days” Bantam Press 2018

This sort of collision simply boggles the mind :evil: :evil: :evil:

My mate popped in to work early (he's still on his leave time) and he mentioned he and some of the others who withdrew but are still feeling the itch might do something like Adelaide to Sydney in December (yes, despite the heat). He learned a lot from the more experienced riders and the sense of freedom and adventure has really got him hooked, so he might also do rides like Perth to Albany etc.

But not until he gets fitted for a different saddle apparently!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!