2024 Paris Roubaix

foo on patrol

2024 Paris Roubaix

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:26 am

Well, how dominate was that by Mathieu va der Poel! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Re: 2024 Paris Roubaix

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:31 am

I watched till Arenberg was done, and then crashed.

He looked strong as then !

Whilst the peleton was pretty small, the predictions of doom & gloom and mass crashes and the end of the world, the chicane was a real non-event.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:10 am

Fell asleep on the couch with about 8k to go. He was 3 min up. Yep, super strong!
Dogs are the best people :wink:

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:00 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:10 am
Fell asleep on the couch with about 8k to go. He was 3 min up. Yep, super strong!
Nah, I couldn’t do it, fell asleep with about 2 hours still to go.

Besides, the part that I saw didn’t look that interesting, it was nice fine weather and the roads / tracks looked dry.

Not like some of the epic contests that I have watched (on TV) in the past, such as the Matthew Hayman victory or the Colbrelli victory covered in mud.
And I was a bit knackered after a big day’s drive back from the Brisbane Roubaix event.
Driving in SE Queensland is not a relaxing activity.
But then driving on most roads is not a relaxing activity

The Roubaix event in Brisbane was truly a fascinating experience.
There were 6 gravel or mud sections, of which I completed 5 before having to take a shortcut back to the place where car parked, for various reasons.

Actually I did get lost many times but it didn’t really matter, I always managed to find my way back to the official course.

I got a bit lost in the Brisbane suburb of Ferny Hills and totally lucked out.
I found a little gravel track connecting to No through roads and along the gravel trail was the famous Easter bunny duo, Winston and Wendy

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:31 am

Whilst the peleton was pretty small, the predictions of doom & gloom and mass crashes and the end of the world, the chicane was a real non-event.
Do half the riders drop out before half way?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:20 pm

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:19 pm
Do half the riders drop out before half way?
Nope - 172 starters, 1 DQ & only 43 did not finish (25%).

It's a point of honour for many riders to finish - such that while Kell O'Brien was the 110th finisher 25:53 after MVDP, there were another 18 riders who kept going to the finish, even though they were out of time, brought home by the last man to finish, Aussie Cyrus Monk who was almost an hour back.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:07 am

Ah OK! I was wondering why they only showed the front group go through the forest and basically the whole time. Guess they were just showing the front runners. I'm use to seeing the multi stage races where they show the whole field because the leaders aren't always up front.

Derny Driver 2

Postby Derny Driver 2 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 am

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:20 pm

It's a point of honour for many riders to finish - such that while Kell O'Brien was the 110th finisher 25:53 after MVDP, there were another 18 riders who kept going to the finish, even though they were out of time, brought home by the last man to finish, Aussie Cyrus Monk who was almost an hour back.
I wonder if Kell had some problems.
Big Sam Welsford finished 15 minutes down, which is 12 minutes behind second place, great effort I reckon.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:46 am

I was also surprised at how few riders were shown.
Also at just how strong MVdP was!
Just destroyed the opposition. That average speed! :o

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am

Hope they throw the book at her !!

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/new ... -poel-was/

Video is in the above article.
The incident occurred on the 10th cobblestone section of Merignies in Avelin. In the official race footage, a woman can be glimpsed quickly aiming a cap at the rear wheel of an unsuspecting Mathieu van der Poel. Whether this act was entirely intentional remained ambiguous from those initial images. Thewoman involved previously spoke through her lawyer, attributing it to “an unfortunate maneuver after an afternoon of aperitifs along the cobblestones. She stressed that she had not consciously thrown the hat.
accident my ar$e :evil:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am
Hope they throw the book at her !!

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/new ... -poel-was/

Video is in the above article.
The incident occurred on the 10th cobblestone section of Merignies in Avelin. In the official race footage, a woman can be glimpsed quickly aiming a cap at the rear wheel of an unsuspecting Mathieu van der Poel. Whether this act was entirely intentional remained ambiguous from those initial images. Thewoman involved previously spoke through her lawyer, attributing it to “an unfortunate maneuver after an afternoon of aperitifs along the cobblestones. She stressed that she had not consciously thrown the hat.
accident my ar$e :evil:

Yep, absolutely intentional. :x :evil: