Can you modify a tandem recumbent?

NoIdea

Can you modify a tandem recumbent?

Postby NoIdea » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:06 am

I posted on the other board in regard to finding a tandem bicycle for my son who has a muscle disease. Someone very kindly pointed me into the direction of EBay where there is a modified tandem from Disabilities Victoria. The stoker has no crankset, just footplates. The tandem is made by Tri Sled who seem to be away until May (and of course the auction finishes tommorrow :lol: ).

So is it possible to convert the footplate to a crankset (my son can do the action of pedalling just not provide alot of power.) ? Also I am assuming it would be possible to move/ adapt the captains chair for short legs (mine!!) ? There appears to be another eager bidder and knowing that I will have to pay for transit costs (Melb to Perth) and adaptation costs, I want to be a little realistic in what I should bid for.....ok who am I kidding....I have no idea :oops: :lol:

Thanks for your help and hopefully one day I will be a tandem trike owner. :D

Fi

Freddyflatfoot

Re: Can you modify a tandem recumbent?

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm sure someone at LoGo trikes in Perth would be able to assist in the conversion. It does look like a nice trike!
The conversion should fairly straight forward, but I have no idea on cost!
FWIW, if you have the funds, and I'd say go for it!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:24 pm

Do you have a link to the eBay auction? I'd like to see the trike.

Where are you?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 pm

just checked Graeme, I think its already finished, or no longer on Ebay.
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

NoIdea

Postby NoIdea » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I was "snipped" at the very last second and I mean the last second.....didn't even know that anyone else was interested. Must admit I am feeling a bit shattered (and a bit niave about the ebay bidding process :oops: ) The tandem to me was representing freedom, freedom to just be a Mum and cycle with my son like any other normal parent.

Thanks again for your advice.

Back to the drawing board.....at least I learnt how important this is to me and determined that one day I'll will be out there on the cycle paths with my son, holding up all the traffic :lol:

Fi

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 pm

NoIdea wrote:Back to the drawing board.....at least I learnt how important this is to me and determined that one day I'll will be out there on the cycle paths with my son, holding up all the traffic :lol:

Fi
:lol:

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am

Howdy "No Idea" Seems to me you need some help. If you would like to give some details of your son, age, weight and abilitys , we have built a trike similar to what I think what you made need. Will post some photos later. I hope we can help you both to get riding soon. Bob Recycler

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:22 am

Fi, you're in huge luck if Bob and the Builder Bros have taken up your case. Some of their earlier works posted here are amazing for the ingenuity shown in crafting something different for someone special. I dips me lid in their direction.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ace Martino

Postby Ace Martino » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm

Recycler wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am
Howdy "No Idea" Seems to me you need some help. If you would like to give some details of your son, age, weight and abilitys , we have built a trike similar to what I think what you made need. Will post some photos later. I hope we can help you both to get riding soon. Bob Recycler
Afternoon Bob Recycler - If you're still around could you please PM me. Looking at building/converting something to assist my son-in-law ride tandem side by side with my special needs grandson in Victoria. He's on a Gomier tricycle at the moment. Saw that you have built similar trikes. Just wondering if you're still around the place. Martin

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Ace Martino wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm
Recycler wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am
Afternoon Bob Recycler - If you're still around could you please PM me. Looking at building/converting something to assist my son-in-law ride tandem side by side with my special needs grandson in Victoria. He's on a Gomier tricycle at the moment. Saw that you have built similar trikes. Just wondering if you're still around the place. Martin
If they are in Victoria and want to build something, why not contact Trisled?
https://trisled.com.au/category/custom/

Trisled have built many custom cycles that are not in the norm(including a rail cycle) and are very good at it

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 am

Mentioned this topic to a friend.
He suggests you might contact Blind Freddy Bicycles in Qld

He has a disabled daughter and has something on order from them. It sounds in his case to be some type of tagalong trailer with pedals etc and electric braking from the bicycle.
I don't know what they have but it can't hurt to enquire.

In regards to earlier mention of Logo Trikes. I think Martin closed that down some years ago now.