How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:31 pm

Interesting return trip home. Couple of trees down along the trail. Bunch of bark on the ground around a big tree that has had a lightning strike, worked out the suss looking guy digging a trench under power lines has actually been collecting copper cable and not draining a puddle. Must have 50m by now. Then a car crash meant traffic was heavy enough to avoid crossing a busy road and miss the last bit of dirt and ride the road home.

Never, ever, ever admit out loud you're 'just going to take it easy" for a mountain bike ride. I did, but in avoiding the faster but bigger drop line managed to find an erosion rut and got my ankle jammed up between the frame and pedal. Fortunately just a bit of a graze but an annoying reminder about riding to what you know vs trying a newer alternative.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:25 pm

I did my longer 50km commute home again, pleasant today - a small diversion up onto a footpath thanks to roadworks on a back street but otherwise quite nice and for a little bit with some other riders commuting - quite friendly.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:06 am

Very good commuting weather all week, it's been nice. The high number of joggers on the Parra river shared path who were around on early mornings in Jan and Feb have dwindled right down to almost nothing again - the new years resolutions have all failed for those people.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:36 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:06 am
Very good commuting weather all week, it's been nice. The high number of joggers on the Parra river shared path who were around on early mornings in Jan and Feb have dwindled right down to almost nothing again - the new years resolutions have all failed for those people.
I like the fact that even remotely clouds that look like delivering rain means less PMDs. I only saw a couple of new faces on the commute. I only saw them once or twice, and now, not in a while

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:08 am

No commute today, legs feel tired, although really overall I feel the same.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:48 pm

My commuting (on Ye Olde Zaskar 29r cable-shift MTB) is finished for this week; worked Tuesday and yesterday. Only today have I fully insured the TCR for as new/replacement value with VeloSure. No, I don't know why it took so long! :o
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:13 pm

Nice 52km commute this afternoon with someone else who was pretty fast and friendly. Made the time go fast.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:22 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:13 pm
Nice 52km commute this afternoon with someone else who was pretty fast and friendly. Made the time go fast.
Pop a comma after "pretty" and you've got a date not a commute
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:30 pm

Back on bike again today after a week of transport needs conspiring against bicycles. Unremarkable trip to work, although the front brakes seemed to be rubbing a little. Little dab of brake made it go away for a bit a few times.

Way home took a little detour to Glenrock to check out an upgraded trail. Then about another q0min into thw Great North walk home the rear brakes made a horrible sound. Quickly stopped and found a calliper bolt gone and the disc adaptor hanging out to the side. No shares, no multitool (wonder where thats gone?). Managed to remove the remaining bolt by hand and strapped the calliper to the seat stay using a Velcro strap off my front light. Detoured back to roads to get home and avoid some of the extra braking required in the bush.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:04 pm

Wet in, wet home. Less pmds though. So win

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:09 pm

And forgot about the lace monitor I ended up "chasing" down the trail for about 30m and the land mullet (black blue tongue) thw crossed between me and a walker that was looking a little concerned. Maybe he thought there was a snake.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:07 am

Bee got in my helmet. Wondered what the burning pain was. Got the helmet off and swatted that damn thing away. Still hurts.

Might have to wear cycling cap under helmet.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:17 am

Love it when I get to Indiana Jones the work car park roller door.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:42 pm

Afternoon commute quite fast, head still sore where the bee got me this morning.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:42 pm
Afternoon commute quite fast, head still sore where the bee got me this morning.

You must have been buzzing…

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:33 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:42 pm

You must have been buzzing…
The consolation is that the thing is probably dead now. I've never had one get in my helmet before - I mean the worst I had was going down the Colombiere descent and a bee managed to get behind my glasses. I did an emergency stop with mavic carbon wheels and mavic brake pads screeching like a banshee, ripped the glasses off and brushed that thing away and somehow did not get stung by it. I should have got a lotto entry that day. Not just from not getting stung, because it should happen when I'm riding someone else's very expensive race bike that I borrowed.

Anyhow, after today everything has settled down.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:18 pm

I've had a bug or two in the helmet before. Fortunately no stings. That sucks.

As of this afternoon th commuter will be getting fatter tyres. It's had 23mm on it for ages and was going to eventually replace them with 25 but I think I'll go with 28. After replacing a tube on Tuesday, diligently the night before needing it, I rode to work this morning with a flat spot where the bead didn't set properly. Deflated then filled again at lunch and all was good until about half way home I hit a curb crossing a bit hard and probably pinched the rear tube and gave it a slow leak. Then after taking it a bit easy it seems the front got the same treatment somewhere and I ended up riding on a flat the last km or so.
Last edited by bychosis on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:58 pm

I did 52km and 543m+ on the commute home. I had a tiny bit of drizzle but nothing major. Got lucky!

It was very gusty though with some challenging headwinds.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:09 am

bychosis wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:18 pm
As of this afternoon th commuter will be getting fatter tyres. It's had 23mm on it for ages and was going to eventually replace them with 25 but I think I'll go with 28.
You'll definitely notice the more comfortable ride with fatter tyres. My commuter gravelly wears 32 and my roadie 28, and the lower pressure also means you are less prone to punctures - I've had one puncture in 2 years, whereas when I ran 25mm tyres I would have several every year.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:18 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:09 am
bychosis wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:18 pm
As of this afternoon th commuter will be getting fatter tyres. It's had 23mm on it for ages and was going to eventually replace them with 25 but I think I'll go with 28.
You'll definitely notice the more comfortable ride with fatter tyres. My commuter gravelly wears 32 and my roadie 28, and the lower pressure also means you are less prone to punctures - I've had one puncture in 2 years, whereas when I ran 25mm tyres I would have several every year.
Just ordered some 28mm tyres. TBH not too worried about the comfort side of things, but increased pinch flat protection is going to be worth it for the multiple road crossings on the share path. Seems they don't build the pram ramps smooth enough

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:07 pm

bychosis wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:22 am
g-boaf wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:13 pm
Pop a comma after "pretty" and you've got a date not a commute
:lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 pm

Another long commute home done with no rain. Dinner finished and I can hear it is now pouring down. I timed that well.

What wasn't so great was the big roundabout at Horsley Drive and Cowpasture Rd - getting across that (using the paths) is a nightmare, the traffic just doesn't stop.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 pm

First time I've touched the bike this month. Just felt very unmotivated for some reason. And I also feel like I've been skirting around the edges of getting sick so I've taken it easy on myself, while friends and coworkers have been testing positive for COVID.

And delivery delays mean I haven't received my smoother MTB tyres to use on my dually for extra commuting comfort.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:12 pm

I commuted again today as well.

Someone at work might have come down with Covid again, fortunately I kept away from her.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 pm

Pair of snakes today, 1 brown near Eastern Creek on M7 cycleway, then near Equestrian Centre in the shade what might have been a Black snake.

The brown moved off the path when it saw me. Not in a hurry, just calmly.