M7 Safety Alert Thread

g-boaf

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 08, 2021 4:10 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:59 pm
I used to do the M7 every now and again. Enjoyed it. It’s not local to me and I stopped because of needing to use the puncture fest that is the M2 to get to it. Reading all these reports of motor bikes, cling wrap etc... makes me feel for the locals who should be able to enjoy it. You’d have to use it with some trepidation these days.
Reading reports of improvised speed-bumps put in elsewhere and journo-driven sports cars taking the wrong side of the road makes me feel for the locals riding in other areas...

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat May 08, 2021 4:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:10 pm
Reading reports of improvised speed-bumps put in elsewhere and journo-driven sports cars taking the wrong side of the road makes me feel for the locals riding in other areas...

Hmm yes that sounds like Church Point where I ride most weekends. Have never come across glad wrap though.

nathg

Postby nathg » Sun May 09, 2021 5:49 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
I used to do the M7 every now and again. Enjoyed it. It’s not local to me and I stopped because of needing to use the puncture fest that is the M2 to get to it. Reading all these reports of motor bikes, cling wrap etc... makes me feel for the locals who should be able to enjoy it. You’d have to use it with some trepidation these days.
Rode pacific hwy/m2 out to the m7 cycle way today for my long ride. Road debris aside, at times felt safer riding amongst the cars than it did once I got on the cycle way. Numerous riders crossing onto the other side of the path whilst bombing down hills or taking the corners. Even had one guy go full gas up an incline when he saw me approaching, had nothing left on the flat and as I announced I was overtaking he went again and tried to undertake me back on my left. Dropped him after a little bit.
Haven’t ridden the m7 cycle way for about 5 or so months, few years ago I used to ride it every weekend, driving from quite a distance to get there. Yet to experience glad wrap, tacks, trail bikes, snakes etc, just cyclists causing havoc. Oh and horse poo LOL

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 09, 2021 10:22 pm

nathg wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:49 pm
AndrewCowley wrote:
Rode pacific hwy/m2 out to the m7 cycle way today for my long ride. Road debris aside, at times felt safer riding amongst the cars than it did once I got on the cycle way. Numerous riders crossing onto the other side of the path whilst bombing down hills or taking the corners. Even had one guy go full gas up an incline when he saw me approaching, had nothing left on the flat and as I announced I was overtaking he went again and tried to undertake me back on my left. Dropped him after a little bit.
Haven’t ridden the m7 cycle way for about 5 or so months, few years ago I used to ride it every weekend, driving from quite a distance to get there. Yet to experience glad wrap, tacks, trail bikes, snakes etc, just cyclists causing havoc. Oh and horse poo LOL
There aren’t too many problems with riders provided you are sensible. I call out if I see someone not watching - that does the trick.

From the car behaviour I’ve seen (like the tuned BMW M140i doing a dangerous lane change and swerve onto shoulder to exit at Horsley Drive today), I think the cycleway is preferable.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon May 10, 2021 10:09 am

I was riding south near Rooty Hill at around 3:30pm Saturday. Three guys on mini bikes (old school small motorbikes) heading north side by side taking up the whole width of the path at a section with fence on each side. They were talking to each other (no helmets) and not looking ahead at a blind bend in the path. I'm yelling at the top of my voice and move as far left as I can. The guy about to hit me sees me about 10m before impact and manages to hit the brakes and dodge in behind the guy in middle... misses me by no more than 10cm. Closest call I have had on the path. Gave me quite a scare.

Not sure what can be done to prevent motorised bikes on the path....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

vosadrian wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:09 am
I was riding south near Rooty Hill at around 3:30pm Saturday. Three guys on mini bikes (old school small motorbikes) heading north side by side taking up the whole width of the path at a section with fence on each side. They were talking to each other (no helmets) and not looking ahead at a blind bend in the path. I'm yelling at the top of my voice and move as far left as I can. The guy about to hit me sees me about 10m before impact and manages to hit the brakes and dodge in behind the guy in middle... misses me by no more than 10cm. Closest call I have had on the path. Gave me quite a scare.

Not sure what can be done to prevent motorised bikes on the path....
The only thing I could think of is very narrow bollards that prevent them from getting through - and they wouldn't be able to lift motorbikes over the bollards.

But this would also prevent green velomobiles from using the path too. Police cannot be out there all the time.

Maybe more signs saying motorbikes are banned? Not that they do much. Someone will always be annoyed with whatever solution is found.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon May 10, 2021 11:39 am

The motorised bike riders seem to be more and more blatant these days. Came across one riding near Elizabeth Dr a couple of months back. There are so many entry points. Not sure what is the best deterrent.

I try to hit the M7 for a quick dash to the bubbler at dawn, before the kids wake up for school, so I've avoided most of the hoons .. .and resident snakes.
Guess now I need to keep an eye for clingwrap :roll:

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

But this would also prevent green velomobiles from using the path too.

:shock: :mrgreen: :lol:

:idea: I could skid out sideways & take out a motorcycle or 2...... :evil:

then just pop the dent out of the Jellybean & carry on :P
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon May 10, 2021 6:17 pm

I know it would take a bit to setup... but would CCTV at a few places and entry/exit points allow their habits to be monitored with a hope that the police would catch them?

I thought I was crashing Saturday. I was trying to work out how to minmise the damage. I had about 5 seconds warning around a bend at which I point I start yelling at the top of my voice and pull left and brake (probably doing about 30-35kph before)... they were probably doing 40-50. This was not kids either... maybe 30 year olds or so? If you thought of ways to maximise the risk of a crash/injury on the path, they had it all... blocking the whole path width on a blind corner at a narrow point with no runoff with no helmets mid arvo on a Saturday. Probably sounded like a cool idea, but if we collided there would have been serious injury to me and probably one of them... and likelihood of getting caught if they could not continue home.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 15, 2021 5:59 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:17 pm
I know it would take a bit to setup... but would CCTV at a few places and entry/exit points allow their habits to be monitored with a hope that the police would catch them?

I thought I was crashing Saturday. I was trying to work out how to minmise the damage. I had about 5 seconds warning around a bend at which I point I start yelling at the top of my voice and pull left and brake (probably doing about 30-35kph before)... they were probably doing 40-50. This was not kids either... maybe 30 year olds or so? If you thought of ways to maximise the risk of a crash/injury on the path, they had it all... blocking the whole path width on a blind corner at a narrow point with no runoff with no helmets mid arvo on a Saturday. Probably sounded like a cool idea, but if we collided there would have been serious injury to me and probably one of them... and likelihood of getting caught if they could not continue home.
It nearly happened to me a while back too (mentioned in this thread). The motorbike riders deliberately crashed out two innocent riders at Eastern Creek just about opposite the Miele warehouse. Then they get to the next blind S-curve and wrong side riding near collected me. Only that I’m cautious and expecting it avoided an accident. The teen with his girlfriend on the back sped off then they also gave an NRS rider a bit of the evil look (he was some distance behind me).

Three of us helped out the crashed riders. Not a nice thing to have happen but credit to the lady who stopped and the NRS guy, what excellent people.

That’s the great thing, everyone on the M7 looks out for everyone else.

I don’t know how you stop the motorbike riders without having police on trail bikes full time patrolling there.

I’ve seen that before. Cameras are all well and good but usually won’t get clear enough footage. I’ve also seen Police on those big Hillbrick mountain bikes - but those things are massively heavy and slow. Motorbikes will be long gone.

When I used to commute along the M7 I would ride pretty fast because I was time limited (get through Prospect Dam before gates close) so the motorbikes were a real risk. I’d take some of the corners a bit easier but I’d usually be going fairly quickly.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Seems to me that drones might help. Cops near exits flying cameras about looking for the motorcycles. The gold would be following them back to their cars (if minibikes).

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Gate is closed.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:52 pm

I noticed on my ride today that they were installing something at the bubbler area. Looked to as if it was probably a bike repair station, tools etc, but I couldn't get close as the men in high viz shirts were still hard at work installing it. Good idea :D

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:17 am

Yes, new repair station. Good idea.
Also concrete surface at the bubbler itself.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:05 pm

I saw the new repair station at the bubbler. It seemed to mainly cater for tyre repair, but had tools for dealing with other things.

Now call me skeptical... but I don't get it. I mean if I have a puncture it would be nice if it happened at the repair station, but that has got to be unlikely. I mean who is going to use this? Do people start a ride with a mechanical so they can repair it when they get to the repair station? It seems like something with little use for typical users that is likely to be vandalised unusable in a few months.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 pm

It annoys me no end to see money spent on token cycling infrastructure such at this. The council probably thinks it’s done a great thing. There is perhaps some sort of monetary kick back from higher levels of govt.

On a shared path, like the M7, I can think of better things to spend money on. Better lane markings and better signage for one. More water stops is another.

Much better than a toolkit / stand thing that won’t last 2 weeks. It is akin to providing a shoe shine station for walkers and runners. Vaguely connected to what they are doing but with little real world relevance.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:49 pm

There are other similar ones that seem to get plenty of usage. For example, the one at the steps on the harbour bridge.

If there is a pump, that is great. People set off, realise the tyre is a bit flat etc. There are a lot of newbie riders and social riders that don’t carry much in the way of tools etc. This is probably of much more value to them, rather than hardcore roadies etc

Now in terms of first world problems, I’m excited that they have concreted around the bubbler. Hate getting my nice shoes muddy when it is wet :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 pm
It annoys me no end to see money spent on token cycling infrastructure such at this. The council probably thinks it’s done a great thing. There is perhaps some sort of monetary kick back from higher levels of govt.

On a shared path, like the M7, I can think of better things to spend money on. Better lane markings and better signage for one. More water stops is another.

Much better than a toolkit / stand thing that won’t last 2 weeks. It is akin to providing a shoe shine station for walkers and runners. Vaguely connected to what they are doing but with little real world relevance.
The toolkit will probably be destroyed in about 1 week, maybe 2 weeks at most. Vandals will make sure of that. More water stops would be good, like one up near the top of Elizabeth Drive at that point, but that's probably something we can live without for now.

You know what would be REALLY GOOD, a permanently open path way that connects the Canal cycleway at the Prospect end to the M7 entry at Wallgrove Road:

https://goo.gl/maps/7ec4ozzoUGyWZobu6

Dead easy, 7.5km maybe even less from Clunies Ross Street intersection with Great Western Highway to Wallgrove Road. Not much at all.

Then Prospect Dam is irrelevant, and we have a link that is open 24/7. No closed gates at 4:30pm in winter time, etc. And no hassles with Spillway Bridge replacement projects being delayed by months and months...

This needs the relevant council in the area to make it happen, maybe with a prod from the M7 people to emphasise the benefits of it to the local population.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 am

I can see that it may be useful for non-serious cyclists who may not own or carry a pump and just set off on a ride without doing any bike preparation. I suspect that not many will use it. It seems to me to be some politics going on with people who don't ride coming up with great ideas on something they have no idea about in order to show everyone how they are supporting cycling with such infrastructure.

My wife rides the M7 a fair bit. I think she would represent most females who ride there regularly. She would like a toilet near the bubbler. For males it is OK to go out in the trees near the bubbler which seems to be done regularly, but not so for a female. For a female to use an acutal toilet, it requires leaving the path and finding some amentities at a fast food outlet or something.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:00 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 am
I can see that it may be useful for non-serious cyclists who may not own or carry a pump and just set off on a ride without doing any bike preparation. I suspect that not many will use it. It seems to me to be some politics going on with people who don't ride coming up with great ideas on something they have no idea about in order to show everyone how they are supporting cycling with such infrastructure.

My wife rides the M7 a fair bit. I think she would represent most females who ride there regularly. She would like a toilet near the bubbler. For males it is OK to go out in the trees near the bubbler which seems to be done regularly, but not so for a female. For a female to use an acutal toilet, it requires leaving the path and finding some amentities at a fast food outlet or something.
The only close place is the big petrol station near the service centre or maybe the McDonald's Blacktown Sports Park on Eastern Road near Rooty Hill.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:49 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:00 pm

The only close place is the big petrol station near the service centre or maybe the McDonald's Blacktown Sports Park on Eastern Road near Rooty Hill.
Many people don't realise you can get to the big BP service centre / truckstop by riding underneath the M7 and wallgrove road along a feeder bikepath. The bikepath goes underneath both, loops around, and then there is one set of lights to cross. There should be better signage, as that is a reasonable place to grab a snack or drink etc, as well as toilets.

There are few other options for toilets that are only a few hundred metres off the cycleway as well.

I often think if some enterprising person was to set up a weekend mobile coffee / cafe / food truck on the road where the bike path deviates along the road for a few 100m, they would do very well. Plenty of those coffee vans run on commuter roads on weekdays, just take it there for saturday and sunday :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:01 pm

As for coffee, Lux cafe just off Cowpasture Road is by far the best along there. Quality Campos coffee and nice food too.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:55 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:01 pm
As for coffee, Lux cafe just off Cowpasture Road is by far the best along there. Quality Campos coffee and nice food too.
I have seen a few good comments about Middleton Brew, which is just down from the Serbian Club at Middleton Grange, and is easily accessible off the M7 path (about 200m I think). Gives a few more options!

https://www.instagram.com/middletonbrew/?hl=en
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:03 am

queequeg wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:55 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:01 pm
I have seen a few good comments about Middleton Brew, which is just down from the Serbian Club at Middleton Grange, and is easily accessible off the M7 path (about 200m I think). Gives a few more options!

https://www.instagram.com/middletonbrew/?hl=en
Interesting. I see cannolis on the instagram feed, that could be dangerous. :lol:

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:15 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:00 pm
vosadrian wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 am

We've found a few toilet options that require leaving the path and traversing some side streets (richmond road has subway/red rooster nearby). They are there. But my point was that I think a toilet in place of the repair station would be more useful for many. I realise that requires more cost (plumbing), but at least it would provide value for all users rather than this repair station which as stated above provides little value for most users. While they are at it, if not already, a CCTV of the bubbler area to deter vandalism of assets might be good.