Parramatta river cycle way

g-boaf

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:25 am

That's why you don't ride along there - it's a disaster of a "shared' path.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:25 am
unless you're in the jellybean.... :shock: for me :twisted: it's the parting of the seas... :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:16 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:52 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:25 am
unless you're in the jellybean.... :shock: for me :twisted: it's the parting of the seas... :mrgreen:
You can just barge them out of the way. :twisted:

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:47 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:08 am
The upgrade to George Kendall Park starts this week - this includes improving the drainage to prevent the path from being flooded in wet weather, and also a new path to separate pedestrians from cyclists for the length of the current path that runs from the boardwalk on the eastern end to the wide path in front of the apartments at the western end. Not sure if this includes the blind S bend curve at the western end.

Lighting for the path is in the draft concept plan, but that may have changed so I have made some enquiries about that and am hoping to get a copy of the final plan.
The dual path runs from the boardwalk in the east to the path intersection at the western end, just above the downward blind curve - between the white dots in this image. The path is the first job they're doing as part of the upgrade - and will be closed/diverted from Monday 14 August until April (estimated)

The detour has been in place since Monday this week - the detour takes you along the narrower path that runs up past the dog park, tennis courts, and back down past the cricket field. It's the same distance as the path that is closed, so not inconvenient at all - just a few blind corners to be careful around because of the temporary fencing.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:03 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:11 am
Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am
The span for the new Alfred St pedestrian/cyclist bridge was put in place this week - will be open in a few weeks. This new bridge is located just west of James Ruse Drive, and will provide a shortcut to the CBD instead of crossing at one of the other bridges or causeways on the Parra Park end of the ferry wharf
Parramatta Council site now says Alfred St bridge "delayed" (again) and will open in "September" (I assume they mean 2023?)

Still a bit of work to connect Alfred St end to other paths but will be nice
and...

September Update, next update will mention "early 2024" perhaps,

"There have been further delays to the completion of the Alfred Street Bridge beyond Council's control (contractor and steel supply), and it is now anticipated to open late October or early November of this year."
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:08 am

A few weeks ago I made some suggestions to Parra council and to my surprise they've actioned some of these - there are now centre lines and keep left arrows at several blind corners on the northern side cycleway - eg. the underpasses under Marsden and Church Sts, James Ruse Drive underpass, Shepherd's Wharf bend, and the separated path between Rydalmere wharf and Silverwater bridge has nice new green bike symbols in several places along the bike path.

Of course, the latter didn't stop a jogger from running along the bike path on my commute home one day this week.

They told me they can't paint centre lines or keep left arrows along the path across the river from the new Powerhouse Museum site because of the artwork painted on the path - it would impact the aesthetics

The Alfred St bridge is inching closer and closer to completion - the balustrades are all in place now, and signage is painted on the approaches.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:28 am

The fancy new Alfred Street bridge is finished and will be open from around 11am today

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:16 pm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:33 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:16 pm
Nice. Could do with a centre line however no one was walking/riding/whatever in the wrong way... this time

What does it do to your commute? IE what improvement? It's been a long time since I've ridden around there
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:42 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:33 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:16 pm
Nice. Could do with a centre line however no one was walking/riding/whatever in the wrong way... this time

What does it do to your commute? IE what improvement? It's been a long time since I've ridden around there
I think the centre line will come in due course - they've made a few improvements recently along the river cycleway, with centre lines on bends, and keep left arrows in some locations.

In terms of my commute, it removes a 1km section of path next to the river where it is mobbed with people who are not bike-aware, kids who run across the path without looking, people taking selfies etc. I trade that off with a slightly longer on road section through the Parra CBD, but the new route is definitely safer.

JPB

Postby JPB » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:34 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:47 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:08 am
The upgrade to George Kendall Park starts this week - this includes improving the drainage to prevent the path from being flooded in wet weather, and also a new path to separate pedestrians from cyclists for the length of the current path that runs from the boardwalk on the eastern end to the wide path in front of the apartments at the western end. Not sure if this includes the blind S bend curve at the western end.

Lighting for the path is in the draft concept plan, but that may have changed so I have made some enquiries about that and am hoping to get a copy of the final plan.
The dual path runs from the boardwalk in the east to the path intersection at the western end, just above the downward blind curve - between the white dots in this image. The path is the first job they're doing as part of the upgrade - and will be closed/diverted from Monday 14 August until April (estimated)

The detour has been in place since Monday this week - the detour takes you along the narrower path that runs up past the dog park, tennis courts, and back down past the cricket field. It's the same distance as the path that is closed, so not inconvenient at all - just a few blind corners to be careful around because of the temporary fencing.
I went through the diversion today. With the high temporary fences and twists and turns I was worried that I had entered The Labyrinth and I might encounter the Minotaur.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:52 am

JPB wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:34 pm

I went through the diversion today. With the high temporary fences and twists and turns I was worried that I had entered The Labyrinth and I might encounter the Minotaur.
The diversion has been removed some time since Thursday last week - the new section of separated path along the river is now open .....

DojoBuff

Postby DojoBuff » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:14 am

Quite a bit of mud on the new section this morning, so ride slowly to avoid slippage and mud splatter. There's also a boundary rope that was strewn across the path and my bike got tangled up in the dark. Next time I'll take the northern cycleway if there has been recent rain.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:44 am

DojoBuff wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:14 am
Quite a bit of mud on the new section this morning, so ride slowly to avoid slippage and mud splatter. There's also a boundary rope that was strewn across the path and my bike got tangled up in the dark. Next time I'll take the northern cycleway if there has been recent rain.
Yes, seems the remedial drainage work is still underway, given how much water and mud was on the path after the rain last week. I noticed that boundary rope was on the path on Thursday evening, so disappointing it is still there 3 days later.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:15 pm

Was a nightmare going through there this morning. Give it a few days and it’ll be dried out however one should still be cautious. I rode the northern path on the way back (slight detour) and there were no issues

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:35 am

So they didn't do a very good job on the path at George Kendall reserve. Still floods and gets covered by standing water and mud. Not sure why it's so hard to so it at a slight slope downhill. And that pedestrian path is too thin.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:01 pm

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:35 am
So they didn't do a very good job on the path at George Kendall reserve. Still floods and gets covered by standing water and mud.
I've been told the drainage improvements won't be completed until the work above the path is finished

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:37 pm

At one point they have recently excavated a new little drainage channel below the path.

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:59 am

Hopefully there's further improvements to come then.

On another note, I did do a search but couldn't see anything already posted, is it easy enough to ride from Parramatta Park and connect up to the M7 pathway via mostly separate cycleways and shared paths?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:35 pm

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:59 am
Hopefully there's further improvements to come then.

On another note, I did do a search but couldn't see anything already posted, is it easy enough to ride from Parramatta Park and connect up to the M7 pathway via mostly separate cycleways and shared paths?
Yes, entirely off road.

Take Westmead exit from Parramatta Park then get yourself onto the Old Windsor Rd shared path. It’s been this way for many many years.

If you use Strava routes feature it should show you because that should be the most popular way (by the heat maps).
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:22 pm

Eek that Windsor Rd path looks like a death trap though. So many driveways.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:06 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:22 pm
It's only a short stretch that has driveways - i.e. Toongabbie (between Fitzwilliams and Reynolds) - and even then, it is a relatively quiet street.
Majority of it is on a separate cycle path.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:04 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:22 pm
Old Windsor rd, not Windsor rd.

As stated, there are a couple of short sections on quiet roads. The rest is separated, either next to the t-way or alongside the road, but no driveways. There are a quite a few annoying intersections at traffic lights however.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:00 pm

Makes sense. There is also a path on Windsor Road that looks horrible in terms of frequent driveways and cross streets.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:13 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:01 pm
Cycling Wombat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:35 am
So they didn't do a very good job on the path at George Kendall reserve. Still floods and gets covered by standing water and mud.
I've been told the drainage improvements won't be completed until the work above the path is finished
They had carpet down today on the section of the new path where most of the mud has been pooling. It's a stretch of maybe 15m. Better surface than the dried up mud, that's for sure