Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby JPB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am
JPB wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm
It is open, and very busy
Amazing, finally open:

That photo pretty well confirms you work in the building behind where I work !

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 pm

JPB wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:24 pm
That photo pretty well confirms you work in the building behind where I work !
Not all the time though. I knew you worked nearby though from what you'd said in some posts earlier.
mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am
JPB wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm
It is open, and very busy
Amazing, finally open:
Any damage from the recent flooding?
I couldn't really say for sure. I went part way around that area on the bike last week near Sorrell Street but didn't even think to see if this new section was open. I just figured that it would be 'years' before we'd see it open. Hence my surprise. :o

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am

mikesbytes wrote:
have not seen any damage from the recent floods. credit to Parra council. They've cleaned up the path really well. not much debris even under the O'connell Street underpass.

new section is very convenient.

but lots of pedestrians and watch for riders bombing down the descent and merging with the path (someone mentioned it too).

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am

Wonder if this will be used in the Spring Cycle later this year?

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:45 pm

We had not been down to this area since last year. New pathway thru to Parramatta is great except for the very long landing at bottom of steps that juts out into path. Surely just a days work to trim it back.
I also like the duplicate path for pedestrians. Not needed today but on Saturday mornings with the fun runs it will help alot.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 pm

caneye wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am
mikesbytes wrote:
have not seen any damage from the recent floods. credit to Parra council. They've cleaned up the path really well. not much debris even under the O'connell Street underpass.

new section is very convenient.

but lots of pedestrians and watch for riders bombing down the descent and merging with the path (someone mentioned it too).
Down the descent would be from the old road crossing I guess? Maybe they have to put multiple speed bumps on the downhill to make riders go slowly (like we see on a certain other cycleway).

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 pm
Down the descent would be from the old road crossing I guess? Maybe they have to put multiple speed bumps on the downhill to make riders go slowly (like we see on a certain other cycleway).

Yup. that exact spot!

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:42 am

Finally had the opportunity to ride the new section last night - it is nicely done, and apart from the convenience, the best aspect of it is that is spreads out the pedestrian traffic across a larger area, so the people density per square metre is a lot less. The run from there to Parra Park is now more like a giant slalom instead of a slalom, which is a definite improvement. There are still the usual suspects walking on the wrong side of the path when you are riding towards them, who won't budge no matter what.

DojoBuff

Postby DojoBuff » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:18 am

Enjoyed riding this cycleway this morning. Seeing the office towers looming over the river as you come out under Macarthur St is quite impressive. Only snag is that the Noller footbridge is closed for paintwork. Had to detour to the Buttons Bridge to enter Parramatta Park.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 am

The Parra Park road/path is being resurfaced at the moment - nice and smooth.

Also, a heads up that at the Parra end of the newest section of the river path there's a 15m diversion in place at the moment across a muddy area - they've laid matting down as a temporary path around this section.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 am

Also, a heads up that at the Parra end of the newest section of the river path there's a 15m diversion in place at the moment across a muddy area - they've laid matting down as a temporary path around this section.
I encountered both of those recently. The newly surfaced parts in the park are very nice, super smooth :D

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:36 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 am

Not sure what they are doing, however I hope they are modifying the bottom of the stairs which was sticking out on the path (design previous to the new shared path)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am

A few improvements and extensions between SOP and the M4 cycleway ..... https://participate.cityofparramatta.ns ... d-cycleway

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am
A few improvements and extensions between SOP and the M4 cycleway ..... https://participate.cityofparramatta.ns ... d-cycleway
The "plan" is a bit difficult to read but... What's the big gap in the cycleway at Uhrig Rd about? It isn't mentioned anywhere in the other doco (which is all very light on) but it's obvious on pg 4 of the (horrible) PDF.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm

zebee wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am
The "plan" is a bit difficult to read but... What's the big gap in the cycleway at Uhrig Rd about? It isn't mentioned anywhere in the other doco (which is all very light on) but it's obvious on pg 4 of the (horrible) PDF.
Am I being too cynical for suspecting the usual "it might inconvenience important car drivers to have a separated bike path here" so ride on the footpath
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Am I being too cynical for suspecting the usual "it might inconvenience important car drivers to have a separated bike path here" so ride on the footpath
You are probably spot on. But to their credit, Council replied within a couple of hours to my question about that gap in the path ...

"Thanks for your comments. The bike path transitions to a shared path in that location to allow the right turn bay from Carter Street into Uhrig Road, then returns to a bike path."

ie. "shared path" meaning bikes sharing with cars?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 pm
find_bruce wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm
You are probably spot on. But to their credit, Council replied within a couple of hours to my question about that gap in the path ...

"Thanks for your comments. The bike path transitions to a shared path in that location to allow the right turn bay from Carter Street into Uhrig Road, then returns to a bike path."

ie. "shared path" meaning bikes sharing with cars?
nope- bikes sharing with pedestrians, ie important drivers going straight might be inconvenienced by waiting for a car to turn right
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:46 pm

With the weather rather nice today I ventured out to see how the cyclepaths fared. Lots of shallow puddles and running water across paths on both sides of the river but no parts that were not navigable, until I got to Parramatta ....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Just as well there is an alternative way.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:05 pm
Just as well there is an alternative way.
Yep, several options.

To be fair, by the look of it council have pushed the rubbish together from both ends because just around that bend it's clear again. I assume they're part way through the clean up, but I imagine they are stretched at the moment so it might be a few days before they get to this.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:59 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:46 pm
With the weather rather nice today I ventured out to see how the cyclepaths fared. Lots of shallow puddles and running water across paths on both sides of the river but no parts that were not navigable, until I got to Parramatta ....

Appears to be cleared just at that far end of the photo but difficult to tell. They do appear to be in the process of cleaning it up
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:52 am

Does anyone know when the shared path alongside the Metro extension to Carlingford will be opened?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:05 pm

^^
Will be opened at an unknown date next year...

https://www.parramattalightrail.nsw.gov ... ike-riding
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:08 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:59 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:46 pm

Appears to be cleared just at that far end of the photo but difficult to tell. They do appear to be in the process of cleaning it up
Went for a ride at lunch time today and they have started to clear it, and most of the large bits of debris are gone now and they've made some attempt to create a flat section through the dirt - so that short section is now rideable on a roadie. Everything else on the western side of that and Parra Park itself is in good condition.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:00 am

[quote=Retrobyte post_id=1565201 time=1647313682 user_id= :mrgreen:

“so that short section is now rideable on a roadie”.
[/quote]

So, the there’s a strip 60mm wide through the debris?….. :shock:

And therefore no way of getting through in my #trisled #rotovelo….800mm track…. :roll:
:mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia