Parramatta river cycle way

Retrobyte

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:58 am

recumbenteer wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:00 am

So, the there’s a strip 60mm wide through the debris?….. :shock:

And therefore no way of getting through in my #trisled #rotovelo….800mm track…. :roll:
:mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yesterday the strip was around 400mm I'd say, so yes, too narrow for your beast. However the section with debris is only about 20m long, so you could probably walk your machine through.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:30 pm

Walk? I thought the whole point was the Rocket would just make loud banging noises as it barge through?

It being a barge and all.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:52 am

Yeah but the snow plough was an optional extra
Anything you can do, I can do slower

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:28 pm

zebee wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:30 pm
Walk? I thought the whole point was the Rocket would just make loud banging noises as it barge through?

It being a barge and all.

I don't walk!! :shock:
I RIDE the jellybean... :lol:

but with around 40mm gound clearance at the rear derailleur, in the lowest gear, 8) .... I'd have the power to barge through, but at the expense of yet another derailleur :D

no "gravelling" for the Rocket :shock:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:30 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:52 am
Yeah but the snow plough was an optional extra
:mrgreen: There's a Rotovelo 2 in my future 8) with suspension and all!! :o :lol:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:23 pm

I'm assuming the council has a lot of things to do since the rain induced changes to the local environment but it could be worth checking on when they have scheduled to complete the cleanup
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:46 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:23 pm
I'm assuming the council has a lot of things to do since the rain induced changes to the local environment

Very true. They gave up mowing this ground on Wednesday because it was still too muddy for the tractor ....

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:46 pm
With the weather rather nice today I ventured out to see how the cyclepaths fared. Lots of shallow puddles and running water across paths on both sides of the river but no parts that were not navigable, until I got to Parramatta ....

Rode thru there today on way to Westfield shops and it's now clear of debris.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:07 pm

New bridge across the river at Alfred St. Work is underway, supposed to be open in October ... https://roadsonline.com.au/works-now-un ... et-bridge/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAV

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:53 am

The wind this week has helped with the remaining puddles and water running across the path at George Kendall park. All that's left now is the 10m long section just west of the baseball field near the "bus stop" covered seat - it is still a puddle a few cm deep; and the layer of muddy water trickling across the path near the baseball benches.

Work seems to be progressing steadily on the new bridge at Alfred St, with a slight diversion around the construction area in place.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:32 pm

Some good upgrades coming later this year at George Kendall Park - separated cycle and pedestrian paths, lighting for the cycleway, improved drainage ....

https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/__data/asse ... design.pdf

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Puddles are all gone now, for the first time in months

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am

The span for the new Alfred St pedestrian/cyclist bridge was put in place this week - will be open in a few weeks. This new bridge is located just west of James Ruse Drive, and will provide a shortcut to the CBD instead of crossing at one of the other bridges or causeways on the Parra Park end of the ferry wharf

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:09 pm

Way too fancy for cyclists, they prefer something like the Thackeray St bridge anyway, helps with their fitness and cyclocross skills. they will all get too soft.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pm

Seems overkill and over$$$ for its purpose.

Still waiting for the shared path along the Metro west line to Carlingford to be opened. It was completed over a year ago.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:09 pm

Call it the Tibby Cotter II bridge.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:01 pm

caneye wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pm
Seems overkill and over$$$ for its purpose.

Still waiting for the shared path along the Metro west line to Carlingford to be opened. It was completed over a year ago.
Launch a protest about it and they might demolish it, given the way some clowncils seem to act regarding cycling infrastructure. :roll:

Anyhow, every little bit helps - but a bit less of the top fancy solution and more of the practical that works and is sensibly safe is good.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:38 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am
The span for the new Alfred St pedestrian/cyclist bridge was put in place this week - will be open in a few weeks. This new bridge is located just west of James Ruse Drive, and will provide a shortcut to the CBD instead of crossing at one of the other bridges or causeways on the Parra Park end of the ferry wharf

In the photo there's what looks like a new apartment block complex. Does this bridge give the occupants direct access to something useful, such as a park?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:47 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:38 pm

In the photo there's what looks like a new apartment block complex. Does this bridge give the occupants direct access to something useful, such as a park?
There are lots of new apartment blocks on that area of the river, and Western Sydney Uni campus is half a km to the east of the bridge (to the right in the photo). That bridge won't necessarily give them direct access to anything special, but thinking about this a bit more, to me this bridge is also aimed at providing an easier crossing of the river for people who are mobility impaired - the other bridges and causeways further west have steep access paths or very narrow pinch points that would make it very difficult for people in wheelchairs to access. The gradient of the ramps on both sides of this new bridge are very gradual. I looked at a couple of social media posts by Council about the bridge, and one did feature someone in a wheelchair, so that's possibly a big factor.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:32 am

It’s so annoying when you come across 6 people all spread out across the path who won’t move over despite multiple calling out.

I’m the slowest rider in the world at the moment but I can’t do 5km/h everywhere. And annoying with other riders treating the path like a race track. Topping it all was the guy struggling uphill wrong side from a stop who would have hit me head on had I not warned him. I had already stopped.

The roads feel safer and more relaxing.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:08 am

The upgrade to George Kendall Park starts this week - this includes improving the drainage to prevent the path from being flooded in wet weather, and also a new path to separate pedestrians from cyclists for the length of the current path that runs from the boardwalk on the eastern end to the wide path in front of the apartments at the western end. Not sure if this includes the blind S bend curve at the western end.

Lighting for the path is in the draft concept plan, but that may have changed so I have made some enquiries about that and am hoping to get a copy of the final plan.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:11 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am
Parramatta Council site now says Alfred St bridge "delayed" (again) and will open in "September" (I assume they mean 2023?)

Still a bit of work to connect Alfred St end to other paths but will be nice
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:46 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:11 am
Parramatta Council site now says Alfred St bridge "delayed" (again) and will open in "September" (I assume they mean 2023?)

Still a bit of work to connect Alfred St end to other paths but will be nice
Looks like all that's left now are the railings and maybe some lines/signage - the ramps and steps are all done

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:47 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:08 am
The upgrade to George Kendall Park starts this week - this includes improving the drainage to prevent the path from being flooded in wet weather, and also a new path to separate pedestrians from cyclists for the length of the current path that runs from the boardwalk on the eastern end to the wide path in front of the apartments at the western end. Not sure if this includes the blind S bend curve at the western end.

Lighting for the path is in the draft concept plan, but that may have changed so I have made some enquiries about that and am hoping to get a copy of the final plan.
The dual path runs from the boardwalk in the east to the path intersection at the western end, just above the downward blind curve - between the white dots in this image. The path is the first job they're doing as part of the upgrade - and will be closed/diverted from Monday 14 August until April (estimated)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:50 am

Full "moon" :mrgreen: