Aldi Specials

Mr Purple

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:46 am

The mountain bike is back in the catalogue this week:

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... ke-medium/

Though I'll warn you the spec looks like it's gone downmarket. 9 speed rear derailleur (previously was Deore I think), mechanical disc brakes and just look at the quality of the welds as pictured!

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:46 am
Though I'll warn you the spec looks like it's gone downmarket. 9 speed rear derailleur (previously was Deore I think), mechanical disc brakes and just look at the quality of the welds as pictured!
Oh crap look at those welds. And 1x9 with mech discs, yes this has definitely gone down market since their previous releases. :( And TBH I'd rather have 2x if I've only got 9 up back.

- Can anyone recognize the forks? I can't quite decipher what's written on the lowers there, kind of looks like "VAXA" LOL.

- The one positive I can see is that the geometry looks pretty good for an ultra-low end MTB.

Well I was kind of expecting this. It must be hard to get any half decent MTB together in that price range with the current covid related supply issues.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:53 am

The fork is apparently a 'VAXA'. Whatever that is.

They provide links to this product in the catalogue:

https://www.estatebikes.com/product-page/mtn-29er

However the website is just really a front for Aldi and doesn't let you know the manufacturer or any useful information about the actual specifications of the bike. Pretty much everything looks off brand. I'm not sure which part is Shimano, presumably the shifters.

VAXA appears to be a Taiwanese parts manufacturer:

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/zoom ... 100/FK-AMS

I imagine you'd be pushing a lot with a 1 x 9 drivetrain and the thing probably weighs 20kg.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:02 am

They've got shorts and gloves too on Sat 6 Nov.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:17 pm

I've got an older model with 2x9 and suntour xcm fork.
The fork is utterly appaling.
I need to get rid of it.
So shi te to ride that I don't.
Just taking up room in the shed.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:49 pm

What sort of axle has that thing got.
Front axle is just a bolt on... not even inline with the fork.
Looks nasty to me.

OMGosh --
this bike features 29” wheels for a higher gear ratio and therefore a faster ride.
Last edited by stevenaaus on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:54 pm

It looks like a Big W bicycle at what is approaching base model Giant/Specialized/Trek prices.

I feel sorry for anyone duped into buying one on the basis that they previously were reasonably specced and good value.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:49 pm
OMGosh --
this bike features 29” wheels for a higher gear ratio and therefore a faster ride.
Cool, now I finally know why we went to 29 inch wheels - gearing. :?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:54 pm
It looks like a Big W bicycle at what is approaching base model Giant/Specialized/Trek prices.

I feel sorry for anyone duped into buying one on the basis that they previously were reasonably specced and good value.
Yeah, price gone up, spec gone down. I’m guessing:
1. They couldn’t get a good value new model thanks to supply shortages.
2. They are banking on the hype/reputation from the previous model getting people to buy these without much though and find out the hard way later.

Be interesting to see what the next iteration will be.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:23 pm

New bike alert (I think)
https://shop.aldi.com.au/product-detail ... uct=706076
Oz bargain are quick on the ball, with a bit of technical discussion and even big posts from the manufacturer Estate Bikes
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/663698

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:03 am

stevenaaus wrote: New bike alert (I think)
https://shop.aldi.com.au/product-detail ... uct=706076
Oz bargain are quick on the ball, with a bit of technical discussion and even big posts from the manufacturer Estate Bikes
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/663698
Estate Bikes had been evading questions of the mid drive motor brand name sent by posters in Ozbargain site.

7hrs to charge 36V 10Ah 360Wh and no mentions of battery brands... Not good.

$50 extra to deliver in eligible areas but not to remote areas, (eg,Warwick,Qld.)
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

stated

Postby stated » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:53 am
and the thing probably weighs 20kg.
Fact, only 16kg. Not a bad bike for the price considering what else is available and at what price. I wrote more about it on whirlpool forums. Got it to ride with my young kid.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:38 pm

7sp Ladies or Men's Ebike for $999 on 16th at Aldi.
Not good of grip shift, rim brakes and 30km range.
Specs.
Available in 2 designs
250W, 36V motor
36V, 7.5Ah lithium battery with 30km range
Battery integrated inside frame – easily removable
Lightweight aluminium frame construction
Internally routed cables
Battery charger included
LED display with power selection, mode and battery life
USB port
Can be paired with mobile phone app
Variable pedal power assistance up to 25km/h
Shimano 7-speed gearing
Suspension fork
700C (29") larger wheels, using durable road bike tyres
Durable, double-wall allow rims (700C)
V-brakes with wet/dry brake pads
Rustproof aluminium stem, seat post (quick-adjust) and handlebars
Mudguard and chain guard for all-weather use
Luggage rack, kickstand and bell included
And accessories too.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 pm

Thanks for that, I gave away my spare Aldi track pump so can buy a replacement
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 pm
Was it any good ?

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:19 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:28 pm
find_bruce wrote:
Was it any good ?
The track pumps tend to be different each time. Years ago I bought 2x and got lucky. They appear to identical to topeak smartheads, probably from the same factory. The gauges are accurate, and they are still working well years later. I was impressed with them, and the next time pumps came up I bought one for my son. It was completely different, and terrible. Head was flimsy, gauge was innnacurate etc

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:25 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:19 pm
Andy01 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Was it any good ?
The track pumps tend to be different each time. Years ago I bought 2x and got lucky. They appear to identical to topeak smartheads, probably from the same factory. The gauges are accurate, and they are still working well years later. I was impressed with them, and the next time pumps came up I bought one for my son. It was completely different, and terrible. Head was flimsy, gauge was innnacurate etc
Ah ... the joys of Aldi special buys :D Years ago I bought a pair of their fingerless gloves, and they actually lasted me a few years, but the ones I have seen since then have been pretty poor.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:52 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Was it any good ?
It looks to be the same as the one I have, and the same model that they've been selling for several years now. That's just going by how it looks of course.

Mine has been pretty good, and I've been using it for about 4 years now. All metal construction except for the plastic handle. The weaknesses are 1. the plastic handle (apparently), and 2. the gauge (on mine) not particularly accurate at high pressure (but at least it's repeatable).

I say "apparently" re the plastic handle because I read online some complaints of people snapping them when pumping high pressure. I never had the problem myself, and I think that they may have added a bit more re-enforcement to that handle since then.

Re the gauge. At MTB pressures mine is pretty good, but it goes a bit off the rails at higher pressures if I use it on the roadie. Tends to over-read a bit at the higher end.

Still very worth $13 for a sturdy metal body floor pump.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:48 am

uart wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:52 pm
Andy01 wrote:
Was it any good ?
It looks to be the same as the one I have, and the same model that they've been selling for several years now. That's just going by how it looks of course.

Mine has been pretty good, and I've been using it for about 4 years now. All metal construction except for the plastic handle. The weaknesses are 1. the plastic handle (apparently), and 2. the gauge (on mine) not particularly accurate at high pressure (but at least it's repeatable).

I say "apparently" re the plastic handle because I read online some complaints of people snapping them when pumping high pressure. I never had the problem myself, and I think that they may have added a bit more re-enforcement to that handle since then.

Re the gauge. At MTB pressures mine is pretty good, but it goes a bit off the rails at higher pressures if I use it on the roadie. Tends to over-read a bit at the higher end.

Still very worth $13 for a sturdy metal body floor pump.
Thanks for the detail.

I have a 240V garage compressor that I usually use to pump bike and car tyres - I usually go a bit higher than desired and use my digital shock pump to deflate back to the correct pressure. I tend to pump our MTB/hybrid tyres (no roadies) to around 30-40psi about every 2-3 weeks (when I lube the chains) which is a little hard but they do lose some pressure in that time, so my wife's MTB drops to around 20psi (from 30) over 3 weeks. Having a quick and easy pump to top them up without breaking out the compressor and it's long hose could be useful.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:01 pm

Andy01 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Was it any good ?
Uart pretty much nailed it. Gauge is accurate enough for my purposes. I don't like the pump head & swapped it for a lezyne pro.
Andy01 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:48 am
I have a 240V garage compressor that I usually use to pump bike and car tyres - I usually go a bit higher than desired and use my digital shock pump to deflate back to the correct pressure. I tend to pump our MTB/hybrid tyres (no roadies) to around 30-40psi about every 2-3 weeks (when I lube the chains) which is a little hard but they do lose some pressure in that time, so my wife's MTB drops to around 20psi (from 30) over 3 weeks. Having a quick and easy pump to top them up without breaking out the compressor and it's long hose could be useful.
Like you I have a compressor at home, but grab the floor pump to quickly pump up my commuter to 50 psi & recharge the air zound.

Spare lives at work, cause I'm lazy & don't use the mini pump unless I'm desperate.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

DarkRider

Postby DarkRider » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:02 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Ah ... the joys of Aldi special buys :D Years ago I bought a pair of their fingerless gloves, and they actually lasted me a few years, but the ones I have seen since then have been pretty poor.
Yeah special buys might be special the first time around but it's a different form of special when items turn up the following years.

I bought a pair of their riding sunglasses (similar to the current cattledog) and a pair of fingerless riding gloves about 6 years ago when I tried to get back into riding the first time. The sunglasses were okay, although they broke being tossed around in the car, but the gloves are still okay having been stored in the console of the car for ages. I was considering going and having a look at both this weekend when they sale is on but I'm not sure if I can be bothered. I've been using a pair of Trojan fingerless gloves from Bunnings lately, sure they aren't riding gloves, but they fit, they are comfortable and according to the tag touchscreen compatible!

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:23 pm

I see that the bike pump listed for this Saturday says that they are experiencing delays.

The delays page doesn't give any info - just that a "new on sale date to be confirmed" for Qld - no such mention for Vic.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... ct-delays/

Does anyone have any experience as to what this actually means ? Is it delayed a week, several weeks, do they notify when it is available or do you just have to keep visiting a store to look for it ?

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Thanks to Sydney's constant rain, I was looking at Aldi's chain cleaning kit, as advertised in a recent catalogue of cycling items. Three Aldi stores I visited had no cycling products at all. I didn't bother buying anything else in store. Seriously, Aldi has to do more than say some stores may be experiencing delays. I normally never buy from Aldi, and I doubt that I will bother buying from Aldi again.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:10 pm

timbo wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Thanks to Sydney's constant rain, I was looking at Aldi's chain cleaning kit, as advertised in a recent catalogue of cycling items. Three Aldi stores I visited had no cycling products at all. I didn't bother buying anything else in store. Seriously, Aldi has to do more than say some stores may be experiencing delays. I normally never buy from Aldi, and I doubt that I will bother buying from Aldi again.
The bicycling products do not go on sale until saturday 16th

DarkRider

Postby DarkRider » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:04 am

If you only want the chain cleaner check ebay there is quite a few that look very similar to the Aldi one for less than $10. Most are locally supplied (by drop shippers) but you'll get them in a few days.