Good Motorist

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Good Motorist

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:56 pm

This morning while driving a motorist cross the double solid lines to my side, I was a fair way away. Then it occurred to me that they were giving a cyclist a safe pass rather than a close pass which happens regularly
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:54 am

Nearly fell off my bike with- driver of a Porsche SUV was turning right across my path. I instinctively slowed & covered my brakes, but the driver did nothing wrong, just patiently waited for this fat, slow old cyclist.

Had a laugh when I recognised the driver was a mate of mine
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm

I've made it a mission to try to give more positive feedback to good motorists than negative feedback to bad motorists on every ride.

There are days when this is difficult, but I find a thumbs up to a considerate driver to be more satisfying than a gesture conveying onanistic tendencies towards a bad one.

Mind you, considering I've had drivers fly into an irrational rage after I slightly shake my head when they just tried to kill me, I consider any negative gestures a very dangerous move these days.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm
I've made it a mission to try to give more positive feedback to good motorists than negative feedback to bad motorists on every ride.

Same, but it doesn't happen often .....

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:22 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm

There are days when this is difficult, but I find a thumbs up to a considerate driver to be more satisfying than a gesture conveying onanistic tendencies towards a bad one.
I will give a wave when they do something they don't really have to, like leaving a gap in stopped traffic so I can get across the road.

I am in two minds about whether to give a wave when they clearly have to give way anyway, such as giving way at a roundabout. It's nice that they do, but I also don't want to give the impression that they were entitled to barge through and they have gone above and beyond by giving way.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:51 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:22 pm
I am in two minds about whether to give a wave when they clearly have to give way anyway, such as giving way at a roundabout. It's nice that they do, but I also don't want to give the impression that they were entitled to barge through and they have gone above and beyond by giving way.
I will often do this even though they legally have to anyway.

Just because on so many occasions the motorist looks straight at you and decides you're not important enough to give way to.

It does annoy me though when I give someone the thumbs up for giving way to me, then realise they were actually giving way to the car behind me and still considered me irrelevant.