My Tour de France

toolonglegs

Re: My Tour de France

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:41 am

Race number...oh I don't know anymore! :roll: .Anyway it was the wettest so far by quite along way.
Woke up this morning feeling OK...still taking a few meds but seem to OK.Rocked up to my Clubs round of the 2009 series...12 km loops and pretty much flat...just 2 little bumps.Normally I would think I had a good chance finally getting a flat race butafter a week on the antibiotics it is unlikely.But stranger things have happened...and this was a strange race!.I sat at the back pretty much for the first 50km's...last 10 places anyway.There were only 45-50 riders today because of the weather..which is a shame as it means less profits for the club.But the pace was weird...very nervous on the little roads and even thou there was lots of attacks they never got far.I wasn't feeling amazing...I wasn't finding it very hard but I had the shakes a bit,never great on race day.So as we rolled into the final lap I started moving up...thru the final corner I was in the front portion of the bunch...the final straight has a few curves but is pretty much 4kms long...I told the young fella in the club that if he is feeling OK to attack hard with 1km to go...more for me than for him as it gaurantees a fast sprint...and he might be able to stay away,but he went way to early and had faded by the 1km mark :lol: and I was totally bunched in on the right hand side!....grrr.Finally managed to get into the more open right hand side of the road and a gap opens up...I think there is about 6-700 meters to go so I push it a bit in the wind to try and move back up....and then suddenly I am in the front!...crap...how did that happen!...400 meters to go and the line just coming into site and I am 1 or 2 meters in front with the peloton lined up 7 or 8 abreast behind me :oops: :oops: :oops: ...I sit there looking both sides for 10 seconds and realise I am going to get swamped...so there is only one thing for it "when in doubt,lead it out"...so I go as hard as I can in the 53/11 with 350 meters or so to go :roll: heart rate hits 190bpm as I roll across the line with 10 meters of clear air behind me...sweet!...finally win one and the one I wanted to win the most :D .
Will post up a pic of the trophy tommorrow as it is really cool!...for the rest of the day I felt totally spaced out,thank god I finish the drugs tonight!.
4 more points and I am in 2nd Division...honestly I think it is time anyway because with a year or so off racing my form is starting to return and I am not finding 3 division too hard...bring it on!.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:15 am

Congratulation on an awesome result TLL. Look forward to seeing the pics. Have you a google map reference of where the track is? Woudl be cool to have a look.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 am

Great work TLL.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Mattsbike

Postby Mattsbike » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:37 am

toolonglegs wrote:...finally win one and the one I wanted to win the most :D .
Awesome result mate and a great post to match. It was as if I was right there watching the sprint finish!

Matt
Matt

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:13 am

Top stuff TLL, congratulations :D
toolonglegs wrote:"when in doubt,lead it out"
:lol: Love it.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:20 am

toolonglegs wrote:4 more points and I am in 2nd Division...honestly I think it is time anyway because with a year or so off racing my form is starting to return and I am not finding 3 division too hard...bring it on!.
Well done1 Like the idea of points to go up a grade.

Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Cheers Guys...here is a map link (I hope)... :D

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/fr/ain/1 ... 0640670178

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Well done Ian. Just stay clear of the testers ......

1st win - now we just need a video of it.

BTW, your ride down the mountain, can it be hosted on another site, as I can't see youtube at work.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Just got the call from Club President...I thought I had 4 more points to get before going up a grade but apparently not...as it is my first year and I have had a win now I automatically go up a grade...eeeekkkk!...Division 2 now...another 20km longer and a wee bit faster...hold onto your hats!.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27722225@N00/3456199686/ there is part of it on flickr Michael...can't load the full length but you get the idea :D

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for the link TTL, and congratulations on the promotion to 2nd Div.
Russ

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 am

Congratulations on the upgrade or is that grade up?...I know who will be pleased, the other riders in Div 3... :)

Emma

zozza

Postby zozza » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am

lemmiwinks wrote:Top stuff TLL, congratulations :D
+1
:) Just read this and Congratulations TLL

Love that quote.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 am

VICTORY !!!! good one TTL.

All those K's are paying off
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Well done 2Long! See, it's the antibiotics pre-treatment that gave you the dope power. :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Nice vid there Ian !!!

What sort of gradient was that run ?

Love the fun of having cyclists going up one side and a runner going up the other !! Where the hell do the cars go.

Very envious of the road surface.

Can't wait to see the race report in the new division !!!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 pm

MichaelB wrote:Nice vid there Ian !!!

What sort of gradient was that run ?

Love the fun of having cyclists going up one side and a runner going up the other !! Where the hell do the cars go.

Very envious of the road surface.

Can't wait to see the race report in the new division !!!
No cars...road is closed off on weekend mornings!!!!!.Grade I am not sure,but no one is pedaling....first time I went down we hammered it...very fast banked corners :D .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:16 pm

zozza wrote:
lemmiwinks wrote:Top stuff TLL, congratulations :D
+1
:) Just read this and Congratulations TLL

Love that quote.
Got that quote from an old boy sprinter...sure it has been around for ever...but in racing it is one of the most correct rules of thumb you can live by.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone else.... :D ...can't say I am looking forward to Categorie 2 very much...I think I will do OK in sprints but 90km races and finishing will be hard,I also think some hilly races are coming up...got to wonder if I will even bother going to those!.But training is going well...took 5 minutes!!! of my 40k ITT route yesterday (probably has a bit to do with weather conditions been ideal as much as fitness improving)...but completed this normal test circuit which is very bumpy with an average speed of 34kmph...I was a bit shocked.
Next race report will be Friday...May Day holiday :D .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 02, 2009 4:36 am

So here we are again...so soon :D .Only 5 days since the last race...mainly recovery rides in between,but I did do a 40km pretty close to tempo on Wednesday and 2 hours yesterday with a couple of 5-10 minute efforts.Actually I thought I may have over done it a touch yesterday as I was certainly feeling fatigued this morning,but I try not to think about it as no matter how good or bad I feel I really don't know how I will REALLY feel until the first lap or so.
Race was about 45 km away...so I rolled up in plenty of time...started the coffee about an hour out,had a good meal 3.5 hours in advance...a couple of bananas in the interim and a nice smoothie.Seems to work for me...I have also been running half a aspirin in my bottles (about 150mg per bottle) for a few races now and it really seems to settle my stomach..today was a good test as I was running a fairly strong carb mix during the race...all of which would usually give me cramps.
So did a few warm up laps...much more up and down than I was lead to believe...grrr not what I want for a first race,flat courses please :D .But it was quite windy and in all the wrong places so I also thought it would keep the bunch together.
2pm and off we go...about 70 in Catergorie 2,a 4.5k loop and a very nasty finish.By the end of the first lap I was at the back :lol: ....hmmm...not great me thinks.On the drive over my thoughts were "I will be happy if I can finish with the bunch in my first Cat 2 race".But on the start line I am looking around at some amazing legs and deep dish carbon everywhere :shock: ...yup it was a pretty big step up.But after the first lap I mentally slap myself and think I am not here to roll around...I am here to win!.So I move up and up and up...pretty much the whole race is me moving up and dropping back on the climbs...then repeat,but it is all calculated,I realise within the first 45 minutes that a break won't go away,well not easily anyway...to windy and too fast in all the wrong places,for a break that is.So I drop back a bit on the climbs trying to conserve strength then move up in other parts.2 gels later and nearly 2 bottles later we are nearing the 70km mark...definately noticing the longer races already,but I feel good and have my plan of attack formulated.My bike is a sticky mess with drinks/sweat and gel dribbles...but my head is in a pretty good place I am loving the harder racing.2nd to last lap I start to move up....at the bell I am about 30th and keep moving up trying to stay sheltered from the wind.
The finish is tricky...70kmph into a 90 degree lefty...rocks right on the outside of the corner so no run off...these are little farm roads,not enough room for two cars to pass without getting their wheels off the road a bit.So after the first left hander it is full on into the wind for 100 meters then into R hander then sweeping left & right while climbing....hard left at top of climb then 50meters into tightish rh and the finish.My aim is to go at the start of the climb...cut the shortest line then block (fairly) the last two tight corners going apex to apex...forcing anyone trying to get me to go the long way.But as is fairly common in sprints...it comes to nothing :roll: .I am trapped in about 12th place hoping a gap will open but knowing I have run out of time...shame because by the end of the race I was flying and feeling very strong.But the gap never opened and I rolled thru about 8-10th.
80km,1hr59minutes later :D .Still I am very happy,feel great and know I can win a sprint in this group.
Of note...mid way thru the race in a hard power corner I noticed a funny feeling in my back end...like a the rim rubbing the pads...so I lifted the quick release and was suprised to feel it again a few laps later.In the final sprint I felt like it was bouncing from seat stay to seat stay.Not exactly confidence inspiring!.Turns out my newly rebuilt DuraAce wheel isn't really up to me carry me safely at the moment.I have my powertap coming next week with 32 hole OpenPro rims so hopefully that is a bit stiffer!...and safer.
Also I was lonely...I am now the only rider from my club in Cat 1 or 2 and I don't think there is much chance of anyone else coming up thru the ranks :cry: ...maybee a change of club next year.
But all in all a good day and week...weight is dropping like a stone,feeling really strong..just need a team mate to make the sprint a bit faster!.

Hope this isn't all to anal...but I spose it is my thread! :lol:

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 am

Go Son! 8th place in cat 2 is a bloody good start. These race reports make me so jealous :P
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Loosenutt

Postby Loosenutt » Sat May 02, 2009 10:47 am

Excellent read as always, congratulations on moving up to 2nd Div.

Very good insperation for us to HTFU

Keep the race reports coming.

Ryan
I hope there are wheels to suck in Brisbane :P

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks TLL very inspiring as Chris and Ryan said. Also a great result for the first race in Cat 2 - congratulations.

Show those froggies what an aussie can do eh what? :D
Russ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey TTL, your going from strength to strength, that's an amazing result in Div2, sounds like you be on the podium in the not too distant future.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm

cheers guys...yes i think on the right track a win is within reach...hope that dosen't mean Cat1 :shock:

AverageSpeed

Postby AverageSpeed » Sat May 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Great race report - many thanks. Keep them coming please, with plenty of info on prep and strategy! Congratulations on a good result, especially with no clubmate and a gammy wheel.