Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

tez001

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby tez001 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:17 pm

On the weekends you could also do Davies rd, Elizabeth st and then Victoria st to Trivett and on to Chandos.

During the week I'd probably avoid it as Victoria st would he quite busy with trucks and that.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:38 pm

tez001 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:17 pm
On the weekends you could also do Davies rd, Elizabeth st and then Victoria st to Trivett and on to Chandos.

During the week I'd probably avoid it as Victoria st would he quite busy with trucks and that.
Chandos Road is best avoided, it has potholes galore and is popular with speeding drivers.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Chandos Road is best avoided, it has potholes galore and is popular with speeding drivers.
Didn't encounter any major pothole hazards last weekend, and it was dead quiet around mid morning. Thanks for the route suggestions - that's got me sorted I think :D

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:14 pm

For those preferring paths to roads to detour Prospect Dam, the shortest route I know from the Prospect Canal path to the M7 path is via The Horsley Drive shared path and Lizard Log.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2841210647633223406 — Shared paths from Canal to M7 cycleway

Last time i went through Lizard Log early, there were no gates stopping pedestrians or cyclists.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:14 pm
For those preferring paths to roads to detour Prospect Dam, the shortest route I know from the Prospect Canal path to the M7 path is via The Horsley Drive shared path and Lizard Log.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2841210647633223406 — Shared paths from Canal to M7 cycleway

Last time i went through Lizard Log early, there were no gates stopping pedestrians or cyclists.
I go that way sometimes. The little climb from the end of the bikepath up to the Horsley drive lights/crossover is actually quite steep. One thing I have noticed is you have to keep a keen eye open for glass on the horsley drive bikepath, seems to be a messy stretch for some reason :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:42 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 pm
SteveTheTiger wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:14 pm

I go that way sometimes. The little climb from the end of the bikepath up to the Horsley drive lights/crossover is actually quite steep. One thing I have noticed is you have to keep a keen eye open for glass on the horsley drive bikepath, seems to be a messy stretch for some reason :(
You are better off going up moonrise lookout to the M7 rather than using the Horsley Drive path (which is broken up and littered with glass). Yes the Moonrise climb is steep but it is much safer.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:21 pm

Some of the roads up around Moonrise Lookout have been resurfaced. They are very smooth at the moment but I'm unsure how they'll hold up over time.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:05 pm

There was a tree down across the canal path just inside the eastern entrance yesterday, one half of the path was blocked but it wasn't located in a blind spot so no biggie.

The path was pretty quiet compared to Parra river and Oly Park areas at the moment. Other than one Phileton there wasn't any more bike or pedestrian traffic than usual on a sunny weekend.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:00 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:05 pm
There was a tree down across the canal path just inside the eastern entrance yesterday, one half of the path was blocked but it wasn't located in a blind spot so no biggie.

The path was pretty quiet compared to Parra river and Oly Park areas at the moment. Other than one Phileton there wasn't any more bike or pedestrian traffic than usual on a sunny weekend.
It wasn't quiet yesterday afternoon, it was extremely busy, much more than the normal traffic (it's in my area, I'm a resident). It was back to original lockdown levels.

After the first lockdown ended everything went back to normal, then this new lockdown occurred and everything has gone crazy again with no social distancing, etc.

The Saturday before last I went walking with one of the neighbours along there and it was very quiet, yesterday was crazy in comparison. Same time of day (afternoon). As soon as the current lockdown is over everything will quieten down again.

That tree has been down for a few weeks now. It's not in a very fast section but I just call out if I'm going past it in case anyone is going the other way.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:00 pm

It wasn't quiet yesterday afternoon, it was extremely busy, much more than the normal traffic

I rode through mid morning when it was still chilly (thanks to the cold westerly), which might have kept people away until after lunch

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:53 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Closures coming for prospect Dam and most of the regional park cycleway I think as well.

The sooner we get a permanent alternative route along either the M4 or Great Western Highway the better then they can leave Prospect Dam closed all day, permanently. Sick and tired of the closures at 4:30pm during non-daylight savings time. Don't they know some people cannot leave work until much later and have to ride through there...
Still closed. I suppose the lockdown will have delayed work.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:49 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:53 am
g-boaf wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Closures coming for prospect Dam and most of the regional park cycleway I think as well.

The sooner we get a permanent alternative route along either the M4 or Great Western Highway the better then they can leave Prospect Dam closed all day, permanently. Sick and tired of the closures at 4:30pm during non-daylight savings time. Don't they know some people cannot leave work until much later and have to ride through there...
Still closed. I suppose the lockdown will have delayed work.
Update: end dates on the board above have tape over them and hand-written “August 2021”.

The gates are still locked however. I’m guessing it’s a border closure type measure or them mean August 2022…

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:27 am

I followed up on the above through the email address - not a single reply yet.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 am

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:27 am
I saw that the end-date has been taped over with "November 2021". :evil: :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:01 am

caneye wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 am
g-boaf wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:27 am
I saw that the end-date has been taped over with "November 2021". :evil: :roll:
Oh so they taped over the bit that was already taped over? :evil:

How difficult can it be - surely this work would be exempt from the lockdown restrictions.

Maybe I should go out there and tape it over with November 2022 for them (to save them the effort of doing so).

We need a shared path connection between Cumberland Hwy and the M7 Cycleway along the Great Western Highway which will remove the need for people to use Prospect Dam and will provide an all-day connection, rather than one that is shut at night.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-33.817 ... 5e!1m0!3e0

That also links up with existing paths. If that link doesn't work, it's basically Cumberland Hwy/Great Western Highway intersection through to GWH and M7 intersection.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:00 pm

They didn’t even bother replying.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:37 pm

UPDATE: Water NSW responded (from the email address on that sign about the project) saying that "this project fall under the jurisdiction of Sydney Water Corporation not WaterNSW.

They've asked me in future to forward "your enquiries" to Sydney Water at email address customerservice@sydneywater.com.au or telephone them on 13 20 92.

They helpfully forwarded my query on... But that long to just palm it off the question to someone else? :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:33 am

Victoria Street and Cowpasture Rd Wetherill Park closed today:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/mul ... 593u7.html

Truck collision and fire. :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:43 pm

The diversion around Prospect Dam using Victoria Street Wetherill Park and Cowpasture Road and Trivet Street is no longer possible:

https://goo.gl/maps/7ieyL8xqerGhqPgg9

The left turn into Trivet Street which goes up to Chandos Road is gone completely and closed off. And by the way the magpie on Victoria Street near the roundabout (just before you get to Cowpasture Road) is still swooping. :roll:

It looks like the closure there is related to some new building development, so seeing that it is privately done it will get finished quickly I think.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:15 am

Yesterday, we took a detour via Horsley Drive >> Cowpasture >> Victoria >> Elizabeth >> Davis St.
Hardly any traffic on a Sunday morning. Roads were wide and smooth.

I imagine it's a nightmare during the week with all the trucks and work vehicles around the factories and warehouses. :cry:

So no news on when the reservoir will be reopened to public?

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:52 pm

The sign on the gates at either end of the closure *currently* says end of November.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:29 pm

caneye wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:15 am
Yesterday, we took a detour via Horsley Drive >> Cowpasture >> Victoria >> Elizabeth >> Davis St.
Hardly any traffic on a Sunday morning. Roads were wide and smooth.

I imagine it's a nightmare during the week with all the trucks and work vehicles around the factories and warehouses. :cry:

So no news on when the reservoir will be reopened to public?
My detour is to go up to Victoria Street, go through the park in front of the temple to Horsley Drive then go down to Restwell Rd and ride along there to Cowpasture Rd, ride across the roundabout to go into the regional park then go up Moonrise Lookout climb and get to M7 that way.

That also avoids the Magpie on Victoria Street.

Can someone get a drone and fly it up over where the works are happening and see if they have actually started?

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:06 pm

From BNSW....

Update on the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge upgrade over the Christmas school holidays:
Cyclists and other road users are advised that the bridge and shared pathway/cycleway will be temporarily REOPENED from the 23rd December 2021 to the 6th February 2022 (inclusive).
When the bridge closes again on the 7th February, work hours will be from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm Saturday.
For more information visit waternsw.com.au
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:42 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:06 pm
From BNSW....

Update on the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge upgrade over the Christmas school holidays:
Cyclists and other road users are advised that the bridge and shared pathway/cycleway will be temporarily REOPENED from the 23rd December 2021 to the 6th February 2022 (inclusive).
When the bridge closes again on the 7th February, work hours will be from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm Saturday.
Bloody hell, so they've done nothing in all this time except having someone put tape over the sign with a different date each month?? :evil: And by the way the contact details on the sign, they take ages to respond and reckon it's not their project, but someone else. :roll:

I've given up and have an alternative route I use, going along the T-way shared path to Restwell Road and then following that along past back of Marconi Club then across Cowpasture Road into the Western Sydney Regional Park and up Moonrise lookout hill and then to M7.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:00 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:06 pm
Does that mean the route will be open on Saturday arvos and Sundays?