Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

g-boaf

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:12 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:21 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:04 pm
Watch out at top of prospect dam just after the bridge - construction works have finished on the new project to implement flooding across the path. :roll:

It’s not very deep but go slowly.
Thanks for the heads up - I was definitely looking out for this today. Approx 5m of the path is fully covered by 3-4cm of water
No problem. :)

With the added feature improvement of mud and silt today.

And the gates at prospect dam were still closed at 6:50AM this morning. Complete nuisance - forcing a big diversion around onto Victoria Street. Some days they are open at 6:45am, other days they are not.

It’s worth contacting the local MPs about this.

A proper permanent alternative path is needed that goes directly west to the M7.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:20 pm

Why is there water on the bike path? What needs to be done to fix it?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:02 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:20 pm
Why is there water on the bike path? What needs to be done to fix it?
They were doing some construction works around the location. This area didn't used to flood like that, this is only happening after the works started (and seem to have stopped).

Just another example of the "improvements" we get around this area. :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:50 am

The flooding mentioned before is gone now but Prospect Dam gates are closed before 7am. Very annoying.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:47 pm

I know that everyone here prefers the prospect Dam gated to remain shut before 7am and after 4:30pm, but I’m going to have a go at getting the local MP Julia Finn involved:

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/membe ... spx?pk=126

She’s not exactly the most local one but knows of this issue from a few years ago from another cycling family who raised this.

I’d be interested if more people want to get involved with raiding this issue. If not, I’ll do this alone.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:01 pm

Watch out at Prospect Dam (on the hill going up towards the bridge) - there is a small brown snake lurking around there (about half way up). it's quite thin and not very long and looks like a small stick. :shock: I guess it was a young brown snake.

I narrowly missed it and heard the hiss... :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:36 pm

An unexpected hazard near Moonrise lookout - huge goanna!

Thing darted across the road in front of me (chased by a very angry crow) and went up a tree, quick as a flash! :o

Pretty impressive to see how fast it went up the tree.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:08 am

Poor guy crashed near the Prospect Dam car park - apparently taken out by a kangaroo.

His helmet was cracked, he was pretty dazed and in a lot of pain.

Be careful out there, kangaroos are pretty dumb and unpredictable. Keep your eyes open for them and slow down until clear of them.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:08 am
Poor guy crashed near the Prospect Dam car park - apparently taken out by a kangaroo.

His helmet was cracked, he was pretty dazed and in a lot of pain.

Be careful out there, kangaroos are pretty dumb and unpredictable. Keep your eyes open for them and slow down until clear of them.
Came across him as well. Ambulance was there, he was on the stretcher with neck brace fitted. Terrible bad luck if the kangaroos leaps across your path unsighted.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:18 pm

Around there the kangaroos are very common so it's worth being cautious and slow through there. It's a miracle if I don't encounter them.

Usually they are half way up the hill going south (or up after the bridge) or up the northern end where the road comes in. The small ones are usually the biggest worry, the large ones generally seem a lot more calm. They just watch you for a little bit and go back to what they were doing.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:24 pm

Flooded again at the top of Prospect Dam, also lots of gravel and dirt so take care on the path there.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:47 pm

On the shared path, I've noticed that the council have tried to fix up the gaps adjacent to some lifted concrete slabs.
But their remedial work has only made it worse, i.e. very rough bitumen, often appears to be too much material used.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:50 pm

caneye wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:47 pm
On the shared path, I've noticed that the council have tried to fix up the gaps adjacent to some lifted concrete slabs.
But their remedial work has only made it worse, i.e. very rough bitumen, often appears to be too much material used.
It's due for a rebuild - what was apparently "adopted" I saw was up for consultation and feedback. Meaning all the money for fixing up the shared path and improving it will probably be swallowed up by the local council and consultants paid to do these studies. :roll:

Wish they'd put some keep left signs like the M7 cycleway has. Would be good for Little Miss IDontWantToShareThePath who is becoming a regular PITA. She walks right down the centre line and will NOT move at all for anyone or anything and if you complain, she will unleash a torrent of abuse.

I've seen entitlement mentality but she takes it to an entire new level. :roll:

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:59 pm

Friday arvo and Sat morning BSO objects with 2 stroke motors trying to catch me :roll: ... Friday arvo's managed to keep pace... until the rear wheel gave way and he came a cropper... in a most spectacular way.. :shock: (Resolution Dr. end)

rear wheel totally exploded! many busted spokes and quite a bit of gravel rash! (no skid lid)

backtracked and offered first aid... got told to "Get F'd" ... :( :mrgreen:

They said their Dad wasn't going to be happy... apparently a "teen Xmas present"... oh well, 8) told them that's a lesson learnt, it's a bicycle! and not designed to have a 2 stroke motor attached... got told "f off again"..... Darwinism at its finest!

Saturday's episode... paced me for about 4km then disappeared in my wake as I headed out onto the main road..... 8) not game enough to follow :mrgreen:

Life goes on... 8)
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:12 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:59 pm
Friday arvo and Sat morning BSO objects with 2 stroke motors trying to catch me :roll: ... Friday arvo's managed to keep pace... until the rear wheel gave way and he came a cropper... in a most spectacular way.. :shock: (Resolution Dr. end)

rear wheel totally exploded! many busted spokes and quite a bit of gravel rash! (no skid lid)

They said their Dad wasn't going to be happy... apparently a "teen Xmas present"... oh well, 8) told them that's a lesson learnt, it's a bicycle! and not designed to have a 2 stroke motor attached... got told "f off again"..... Darwinism at its finest!

Saturday's episode... paced me for about 4km then disappeared in my wake as I headed out onto the main road..... 8) not game enough to follow :mrgreen:

Life goes on... 8)
Thought those ICE powered bicycles were banned?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:27 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:12 pm
recumbenteer wrote:

Life goes on... 8)

:wink: dunno....
ICE vehicles are still on our roads.... :wink:

traffic will still be there, when they're banned...
but at least, emissions will be reduced :?
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:29 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:50 pm
Wish they'd put some keep left signs like the M7 cycleway has. Would be good for Little Miss IDontWantToShareThePath who is becoming a regular PITA. She walks right down the centre line and will NOT move at all for anyone or anything and if you complain, she will unleash a torrent of abuse.
If you can find out who the person who looks after active transport strategy or cycling projects at that Council it might be worth reaching out to them. I made some suggestions to the relevant person at Parramatta Council for center lines and keep left arrows on blind corners and underpasses on the Parramatta River shared path, and they listened and did it a few weeks later. Your Council may have a small budget for improvements to public spaces to do things like this.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:12 pm

And so are electric scooters and electric skateboards on public paths (in NSW) - doesn't stop them

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:40 pm

recumbenteer wrote:

Life goes on... 8)
Good on you for being nice, or trying. Some of those bike shaped objects are dangerous contraptions.
Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:29 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:50 pm
If you can find out who the person who looks after active transport strategy or cycling projects at that Council it might be worth reaching out to them. I made some suggestions to the relevant person at Parramatta Council for center lines and keep left arrows on blind corners and underpasses on the Parramatta River shared path, and they listened and did it a few weeks later. Your Council may have a small budget for improvements to public spaces to do things like this.
I have a contact there so I'll reach out when they get back. It will be a good thing to sort out that grumpy old lady.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:40 pm

I have a contact there so I'll reach out when they get back. It will be a good thing to sort out that grumpy old lady.
Maybe you could get them to instigate some repairs on the Prospect Creek path between Cumberland Hwy and Gipps Rd.... there's a few places where the path has badly lifted and cracked due to tree roots, (mid section btwn soccer field & Gipps)) :evil: and other places that have sunk due to flooding in the past...(Hwy end) with very poor remediation or none at all! :evil:

...not to mention the path opposite the Cambridge Hotel that is well and truly stuffed due to tree roots and path subsidence ... just sayin' :wink:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:06 pm

g-boaf wrote:

If you have video footage that might carry some weight. I included footage of a jogger on the wrong side of the path on a blind bend, and a group of teenagers spread across the full width of the path walking towards me and refusing to give me room to pass.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:21 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Maybe you could get them to instigate some repairs on the Prospect Creek path between Cumberland Hwy and Gipps Rd.... there's a few places where the path has badly lifted and cracked due to tree roots, (mid section btwn soccer field & Gipps)) :evil: and other places that have sunk due to flooding in the past...(Hwy end) with very poor remediation or none at all! :evil:

...not to mention the path opposite the Cambridge Hotel that is well and truly stuffed due to tree roots and path subsidence ... just sayin' :wink:
I’m one person who can submit a little feedback here and there but I can’t do all that much I’m afraid. I’m not an advocacy group. :( Sorry.

Everyone has to make lots of noise together to get things noticed.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 pm

Noted. Everyone should provide similar feedback to Cumberland City (Holroyd) council.

I believe this is the link - Footpath trip hazard and repair:

https://cumberland-web.t1cloud.com/T1PR ... =FNFpTrHaz

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 pm

One of the council workers today was filling in some gaps on the path near Cumberland Highway and I was speaking to him, the reports do go through and do get taken notice of.

So whoever is riding the Focus road bike and sends in frequent reports, they do get noticed and will get action. ;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:37 pm

Flooding at the top of Prospect Dam still, not quite as bad as yesterday but still be careful.

Also be careful after the western end of the flooded section, the left turn to go through the gates has a lot of loose gravel and stones on the approach.