Path closed behind Perth Arena

rolandp

Re: Path closed behind Perth Arena

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 pm

Wixxy wrote:Can anyone clarify if CofP rangers have jurisdiction on a Mainroads psp for parking infringement matters?
Or do MR have their own staff for such matters?
From a recent experience of reporting cars using the shared path on Market St, to park on freeway reserved land, CoP rangers took no action until MRWA and/or CoP had installed no parking signs. So two months of installing barriers and no parking signs, CoP rangers can now place infringment notices on the cars, except the drivers can no longer access the freeway reserved land due to the now installed barriers.

I did point out to CoP that driving on a path was covered by road rules, but apparently they couldn't take action. Even though I also pointed out there where also Local Laws, but still no infringements given.

The cars where damaging the shared path, as well as being a hazard to those using it.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 am

dmwill wrote:It was open last night The only obstruction were some cones, nothing was actually stopping you from riding through.
Except for the wall at the other (eastern) end.
'Fraid that's still there.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:56 am

Thoglette wrote:
dmwill wrote:It was open last night The only obstruction were some cones, nothing was actually stopping you from riding through.
Except for the wall at the other (eastern) end.
'Fraid that's still there.
Really? An UberEats rider got all the way through when I took that photo.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am

dmwill wrote: Really? An UberEats rider got all the way through when I took that photo.
Hmm, I'll have to look more closely then. I rode up to about 20m from the wall, muttered a rude word, and went the long way around.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:32 pm

Thoglette wrote:
dmwill wrote: Really? An UberEats rider got all the way through when I took that photo.
Hmm, I'll have to look more closely then. I rode up to about 20m from the wall, muttered a rude word, and went the long way around.
The black wall on the Northeast corner is still there. Unless you have access to the door in the wall, or, you climb over it, you can't get through.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:18 pm

rolandp wrote:
Wixxy wrote:Can anyone clarify if CofP rangers have jurisdiction on a Mainroads psp for parking infringement matters?
Or do MR have their own staff for such matters?
From a recent experience of reporting cars using the shared path on Market St, to park on freeway reserved land, CoP rangers took no action until MRWA and/or CoP had installed no parking signs. So two months of installing barriers and no parking signs, CoP rangers can now place infringment notices on the cars, except the drivers can no longer access the freeway reserved land due to the now installed barriers.

I did point out to CoP that driving on a path was covered by road rules, but apparently they couldn't take action. Even though I also pointed out there where also Local Laws, but still no infringements given.

The cars where damaging the shared path, as well as being a hazard to those using it.
Roland, were they implying that the local laws only cover CofP land? If so, and MR don't have their own parking infringement staff, do they rely solely on WA Police for such matters? Could PSP's be in a legal void regarding parking, if MR do not have powers to create byelaws?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am

Wixxy wrote: Roland, were they implying that the local laws only cover CofP land? If so, and MR don't have their own parking infringement staff, do they rely solely on WA Police for such matters? Could PSP's be in a legal void regarding parking, if MR do not have powers to create byelaws?
Note, the cars were not parked on the PSP. They were driving on the PSP to access the land next to the PSP. Cut/paste from email from CoP
The land referred to is a road verge which is MRA owned. For the City of Perth to issue infringements to illegally parked vehicles on verges, we require the appropriate signage to be in place. As this area was not signed until late July infringements could not be issued. The City was not aware of the issue of illegally parked vehicles or the problems experienced in the area until we were notified form the public. As soon as this was highlighted the appropriate action was then taken by the City to enable infringements to be issued to illegally parked vehicles in the area.

Due to legal constraints the City do not tow vehicles unless the vehicle has been abandoned. Infringements have been issued since the signage was put in place to offending vehicles parked to contrary to the signage.

The area shown in the photographs you have provided is classified as part of the freeway and it is our understanding that this area is managed by Main Roads WA, which is covered by the Road Traffic Code 2000. The City has no jurisdiction on freeways or main roads. I have note that you have already made enquiries with Main Roads and suggest you contact them again for their feedback as the City is unable to assist in this instance.
I have also reported other cases via MRWA Congestion Team who can tow cars away https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... owing.aspx.

craigg

Postby craigg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:19 pm

It's quite farcical, reminds me of trying to report motorcycles and mopeds parked illegally at the bike racks at the St Georges Tce entrance to Enex 100 last year.

I used the 'Snap Send Solve' app every day for about a fortnight with photos to CoP showing the motorcycles and mopeds using the bike racks. The outcome was they told me to stop complaining because the land was the responsibility of Enex and outside of their jurisdiction. A few weeks later however a sign went up stating that it was registered parking for bicycles only.

The motorcycles and mopeds kept parking there so I called up council to make a complaint and was told that only the 'registered complainer' can make a complaint and that due to 'privacy laws' they couldn't tell me who the 'registered complainer' is.

Things are a bit better now though as I haven't seen any motorcycles parked so far this year, although they had a popup coffee stand late last year blocking a portion of the racks every weekday for about 6 weeks :(

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 pm

rolandp wrote:
Wixxy wrote: The area shown in the photographs you have provided is classified as part of the freeway and it is our understanding that this area is managed by Main Roads WA, which is covered by the Road Traffic Code 2000. The City has no jurisdiction on freeways or main roads. I have note that you have already made enquiries with Main Roads and suggest you contact them again for their feedback as the City is unable to assist in this instance.
Roland, where the email mentioned MR freeways / main roads and that CofP can not issues tickets there?, it seems to conflict with this:-

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... owing.aspx

Where it mentions towing fees, and that you may also recieve a ticket from CofP in the CBD supposedly on a MR road?

craigg

Postby craigg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:42 pm

There's an article in this weeks Western Suburbs Weekly implying that its getting a higher priority - https://www.communitynews.com.au/guardi ... rac-arena/

I'd not heard of the petition but I would gladly have signed it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 pm

craigg wrote:There's an article in this weeks Western Suburbs Weekly implying that its getting a higher priority - https://www.communitynews.com.au/guardi ... rac-arena/

I'd not heard of the petition but I would gladly have signed it.
Link to the petition https://www.change.org/p/venueswest-reo ... cycle-path
It is still open.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:42 pm

craigg wrote:There's an article in this weeks Western Suburbs Weekly implying that its getting a higher priority - https://www.communitynews.com.au/guardi ... rac-arena/
Wish they'd get basic fact right. The path has been closed since 2014 not 2017.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Saw a IG story last night of someone riding through here.. is it open?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:16 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Wish they'd get basic fact right. The path has been closed since 2014 not 2017.
:oops: :oops: :oops: Ah, the taste of crow. :oops: :oops: :oops:

This thread shows the first closure in 2014, certainly first window-related closure in August 2014. But full time closure only in Dec 2016. So closer to 2017 than 2014

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm

PerthNow reports HBF park at centre of legal battle as The State Government sue redeveloper
HBF Park, formally known as NIB Stadium, is at the centre of a legal battle between the State Government and BGC construction.

Home to Perth Glory and the Western Force, the stadium was redeveloped after BGC won a $95 million dollar contract in 2012. The revamp included a covered two-tier eastern grandstand, corporate boxes, a new southern stand and new playing surface.

The company is being sued over building defects said to have caused loss and damages, with the state government alleging the company has failed to fix defective works in the eastern canopy and roof skylight - as well as glass elements.
BGC also build Perth Arena. Has the State Government also seeked compensation for the defects at Perth Arena?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Definitely won't be opening the path anytime soon. Instead they are putting in an 18-hole mini-golf course on the Arena forecourt:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainme ... 881318840z
A putt-putt golf course will be set up at the arena’s forecourt from late September, with all 18 holes inspired by a different Disney Pixar movie.

It will run from September 27 until November 3.

For details visit http://www.pixarputt.com.au.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 pm

How much do you want to bet it includes Pixar's Cars?

Clearly management at the arena have sorted out the glass issues, otherwise they wouldn't allow this event to be held here, so why the delay it opening up the path behind the arena.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Take a wild guess which transport mode is omitted from the "How do I get there?" question in their FAQ?
https://www.pixarputt.com.au/faq
How do I get there?
BY CAR: There are secure car parks located at RAC Arena
BY TAXI OR UBER: The best Pixar Putt drop off and pick up location is on the corner of Milligan St and Telethon Ave.
BY TRAIN: A short walk from Perth Station will take you directly to Pixar Putt .
BUS: Pixar Putt is a short walk from Perth Busport.

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Scouring Leg Assembly Hansard 11 June 2019
http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Hansard ... -4005a.pdf
No I am not going to fix the formatting... go to the link if it doth offend thine eyes

5166.Mr S.K. L’Estrange to the Minister for Seniors and Ageing; Volunteering; Sport and Recreation:I refer to the VenuesWest traffic safety assessment of the shared pedestrian and cycle path behind the RAC Arena, and I ask:(a)(a)Will this assessment be made publicly available:(i) If not, why not;(b)(b)Has the assessment been completed:(i) If not, why not and when is the assessment due to be completed;(c)(c)If yes to (b), has the risk to pedestrians and cyclists been identified as manageable and comparable to other pedestrian/cyclists interfaces:(i) If yes, will the path be reopened and when will this occur; and(ii)If not, why not; and(d)(d)Will the path be reclassified as a Principal Shared Path:(i) If not, why not?

Mr M.P. Murray replied:(a)The shortlisted options in the final report will be shared with the cycling stakeholders to determine a workable solution for all.(i) Not applicable.(b)The assessment was re-issued for modification in April to ensure all stakeholder opinion was assessed.(i) The draft final report has now been delivered to VenuesWest and is being reviewed.(c)The level of risk changes depending on the solution chosen. Options for the northern or southern path may be manageable with structural or engineered works to lower speed in turns where there is a risk to pedestrians and use restrictions during peak times. Determining the level of this risk is the focus of this review.(i) It has not yet been determined which is the preferred outcome and what works would be required to deliver it for use. If the northern pathway is reopened, it would be after the forecourt/ pathway junction has been modified to ensure lower speeds at that turn and the risk of clashes between bikes and pedestrians is minimised. If re-opened, it would also be subject to closures when events are held at the arena with cyclist diverted to the south side of the Arena.(ii)Shortlisted options will be discussed with the stakeholder group. If a way forward can be determined, there will likely be some works needed. Those costs would need to be scoped and assessed and funding sources considered amongst the stakeholders.(d)This has not yet been determined.(i) Not applicable.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:41 pm

fixed wrote:Scouring Leg Assembly Hansard 11 June 2019
Translation: we have no intent of reopening the path and we're looking for ways to kick cyclists off the Wellington St "path" too.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 pm

It's amazing how structural issues with the Arena (aka falling glass), then results in safety issues with usage of the PSP once the structural issues are resolved.

fechin

Postby fechin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:14 pm

" The draft final report has now been delivered to VenuesWest and is being reviewed."

That was ages ago. Anybody got any news on this?

paulz

Postby paulz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Quite strange really. If I am reading this correctly, if northern PSP re-opens, they will still re-divert cyclists to the southern side to reduce interactions with peds/event goers when events are held at the Arena. Hang on, this actually increases interaction between peds/event goers and cyclists.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:38 pm

WestCycle reports discussions of a working group. No actual progress but at least Venues West and AMS are at the table.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:24 pm

....and has not been reopened due to safety concerns arising from the increasing bus, bicycle and pedestrian activity, especially within and adjacent to the eastern forecourt.
They can't be too concerned, you're forced to ride/get off and walk through crowds of people when events are on there!