Path closed behind Perth Arena

rolandp

Re: Path closed behind Perth Arena

Postby rolandp » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:02 pm

dmwill wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:24 pm
....and has not been reopened due to safety concerns arising from the increasing bus, bicycle and pedestrian activity, especially within and adjacent to the eastern forecourt.
They can't be too concerned, you're forced to ride/get off and walk through crowds of people when events are on there!
As well as when they are undertaking repair works on the arena. Have had to walk several times when they have blocked the "PSP" on Wellington St.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am

The bike show on Curtin Uni radio show this morning (100.1 FM or online at 7:30am) had tantilising rumours of a re-openning, along with better separation of cyclists and punters.

Nothing on the WestCycle page so don't hold your breath....
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am
Nothing on the WestCycle page so don't hold your breath....
That's because WestCycle is too busy plugging the Dams Rides. If the same effort was put into transport cycling, WestCycle would have demanded to be on the "working group" to resolve the Arena closed path.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 am

And now the ATP tennis is on its even worse with the amount of foot traffic and metal barriers placed upon the path. Surely during events sending cyclists behind the arena on the path would be the ideal solution

wexford

Postby wexford » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:52 pm

rolandp wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:47 pm
That's because WestCycle is too busy plugging the Dams Rides. If the same effort was put into transport cycling, WestCycle would have demanded to be on the "working group" to resolve the Arena closed path.
It seems they are indeed on the working group, if this tortured sentence is anything to go by. I'm sure their involvement will produce about as much as you'd expect.

https://westcycle.org.au/rac-arena-path ... ember-2019

18 DECEMBER 2019

Earlier this year, a working group comprising of the Department of Transport, VenuesWest and ASM Global who operate RAC Arena, the City of Perth and WestCycle was formed to explore the best way to improve access for bicycle riders around RAC Arena.

For those who aren’t aware, the northern accessway that has been used by many bicycle riders is not part of the Principal Shared Path (PSP) network. This path was closed as a result of glazing works that needed to be conducted on the building in 2017 and has not been reopened due to safety concerns arising from the increasing bus, bicycle and pedestrian activity, especially within and adjacent to the eastern forecourt.

Over the last few months, the working group has discussed several options to improve the south-western route and potentially reopen the northern accessway during non-event times. Although the northern accessway is preferred by many bicycle riders, this path is located on RAC Arena land and the south-western route will continue to be the main route around the Arena.

Some of the interventions explored include:

Redesigning the Market Street crossing to maintain PSP priority and improve safety;
Surface treatments at the south-western corner to reduce conflict as bicycle riders enter the pedestrian-priority shared space along Wellington Street;
Rearranging street furniture on the eastern forecourt to help lead bicycle riders towards the mid-block kerb ramp on Milligan Street and to slow bicycle riders as they enter the pedestrian-priority area; and
Gates at both ends to open/close the northern accessway during event times and as required (including signage to give advanced notice of upcoming closures).

Where to now?

The Department of Transport, VenuesWest, ASM Global and the City of Perth are currently exploring the viability of these various options. Once this process is complete, a course of action can be decided upon and budgeted for. We will provide another update and share the schedule of works once these details have been finalised.

craigg

Postby craigg » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:17 am

Was there an Easter miracle?

Here is the view from behind Perth Arena this morning:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 am

craigg wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:17 am
Was there an Easter miracle?
Goodness! I know where today's ride will go

Nothing on WestCycle's blog. Perhaps it's a trial to show that "riders don't use it so we'll close it again"? Paint me cynical.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Have they opened the other end? This had the black wall built specially to keep us from not having access to the path.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm

rolandp wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm
Have they opened the other end? This had the black wall built specially to keep us from not having access to the path.
i did notice it was open as i was on the bus this morning!

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:11 pm

Definitely open. I went through today and it all seems complete, no half-finished construction or left-over barriers etc.

fixed

Postby fixed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm

So can we assume this path has reopened due to the massive reach and penetration of BNA forums, or due to other consultative processes?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:50 pm

fixed wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm
So can we assume this path has reopened due to the massive reach and penetration of BNA forums, or due to other consultative processes?
Both, some forum members have been contacting MP, local government, WestCycle, etc. WestCycle may have been doing the same, sadly they don't keep us informed. There are still outstanding items, in particular those white bollards to the north/east, there is no good connection to Milligan St (which is still to improve according to CoP bike plan) or the cycle path on Barrack St (which suddenly stop at William St) . If there is a consultative processes occuring perhaps it is time to let us know what is occuring.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 am
I know where today's ride will go
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

A big shout out to everyone who’s been keeping the pressure up over the years .

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:22 am

Apart from this thread, change.org were also in there punching.

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Great to hear! Though WestCycle's response here is somewhat concerning:
RAC Arena Path Update
The accessway on the northern side of RAC Arena has reopened whilst there are no events at RAC Arena. Future options to improve safety around the arena during event-times are being explored and will include managed closures of the accessway during event times. We will provide further updates and share the schedule of works once these details have been finalised.
Wouldn't closing the accessway during events increase conflicts on the Wellington St path?! :roll:

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 pm

mount_street wrote: Wouldn't closing the accessway during events increase conflicts on the Wellington St path?!
THIS ^^^ I dont understand why they would close the path when it diverts cyclists away from all the people out the front on wellington street. where at every event they also seem to take over half the path with signs to warn motorists there is an event and no left turn. Effectively making that path even more clogged and worse for all users.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 pm

I suspect closing the path during events is more to reduce security risk. Though I further suspect an increased risk of falling glass when the venue reopens, thus back to more permanent closure.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm

Based on correspondence and public statements I’ve seen over the years the impression I get is that they’re a Private Company and it’s Private Property so it’s none of our business.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 am

Report in the Cambridge Post today confirms my suspicion: the management company intends installing gates on the right of way.

Which is an essential step in (legally) determining it as a private space.

This does nothing to resolve the apparent problem, which could be resolved by funnelling cyclists (and pedestrians) using the right of way onto Milligan st at the northern end.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm

I note in this thread on funding announcements there’s $1.5M allocated to improve access spud the RAC Arena.
No idea what, yet

From the offical press release

"Additionally, we are also funding highly anticipated connections throughout the CBD, including connectivity around RAC Arena, which has been a major problem spot for cyclists."

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Probably some expensive paint to mark some lines and arrows about the place.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:02 pm

dmwill wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:22 pm
Probably some expensive paint to mark some lines and arrows about the place.
I'd like to think it was for buying the land back, and perhaps re-routing the eastern end the other side of the carpark exit.

But the cynic in me says you may be right.

craigg

Postby craigg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Fundamentally I assume the reason is one of liability - they don't want to get sued if someone has an injury on Perth Arena land. And whilst the North path is Perth Arena land, the South path is not.

So even though closing the northern path makes the southern path more dangerous they don't give a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! as it's not their land and therefore not their problem.

Craig

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:28 pm

The Master Plan for the Link Project indicates:
Continue Principal Shared Path to pass between railway and stadium to link with Milligan Street extension and land bridge.
Based on the above, the land is not Perth Arena, but PSP.

craigg

Postby craigg » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:15 pm

According to Landgate the north PSP is part of the lot on which Perth Arena is built. To change the ownership they would have to survey it, subdivide it and sell/transfer it. The southern path is not part of the lot. I think the main concern is cyclists coming into conflict with event goers on the eastern forecourt.

One possible solution to mitigate that risk would be to extend the PSP directly to Milligan St which would bypass the forecourt entirely. However an issue with that is the land required to extend the PSP is not wide enough. Any extension to Milligan St has half the width inside Perth Arena and the other half part of the adjacent northern lot.

The Landgate image below shows that the PSP follows the northern boundary and terminates where the lot becomes too narrow for the PSP to continue to Milligan St without encroaching on the neighboring lot to the north.