Confused about 8 week training program for TT

zill

Confused about 8 week training program for TT

Postby zill » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:45 pm

Just got an 8 week training program for Time trial from here http://www.argonautcyclecoaching.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It really emphases on interval training which is fair enough but what I'm really surprised about is that the only time where the program wants you to practice an actual TT effort on the course you will be competing is the week before the race. I would have thought you'd want as much exposure to the course and the TT effort on the course as part of the training?

What is the science behind this?

Derny Driver

Re: Confused about 8 week training program for TT

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:07 pm

I would ride the course but not at anything like race pace. Save race pace for the day.
Ride the course to study it, look for the smoothest part of the road surface (usually RH wheel track just near the centre line) and look for hazards, undulations, corners etc.
Its a mistake in my opinion to "practise" Time Trialling before the race. You just end up with the cough cough *triathlete mentality* of just tempo riding everywhere at 32kph.
(Disclaimer I was a triathlete once and am on Transitions)
On race day you want to be doing 38-40kph for the distance. So do some short intervals at that pace in training, say 4 or 5 minutes. Then back off and just ride easy.
On the day you will have the assistance of adrenaline and the excitement to enable you to ride nice and hard for the distance.
Use power or cough cough where's alex *heart rate* to measure your effort.
I used to TT at exactly 92% of maximum HR which is basically threshold.
Short intervals at speed are the way to go.
A full race simulated one 1 week out is pretty standard procedure but many people don't bother with it.
Its very hard to simulate a full TT by yourself in isolation.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:05 am

What about the important issue of pacing in a TT? How do you practice that if you only do a full practice TT once or even none at all before the race?

Also by doing shorter intervals on the course wouldn't that likely to lead you to over pace yourself in the race?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:13 am

A $50 generic plan is just that, generic. Expecting it to be customised to account for whether you have ready access to your race course for a trial run is unrealistic.

What if the plan did require you to do practice runs on the race circuit but the venue was not local/readily accessible until just before race day?

Many courses are not actually rideable until race day due to traffic control.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 am

Practice practice practice, under race conditions. You'll have a go at the TT, you will make some mistakes, and I think you'll probably do a lot of things really well, and you build on that.

I like Friel's approach to pacing - if your target pace is 35kmh, push harder when it drops to 33, push real hard when it drops to 31 - and if it goes up to 37, ease off, and 39, stop pedalling. He uses a 10/20/30/40/50 protocol, but the principle works well. Pedal hard when you are going slow, and soft when you are going fast. You spend a lot of bikkies pushing against wind resistance. :idea:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Xplora wrote:I like Friel's approach to pacing - if your target pace is 35kmh, push harder when it drops to 33, push real hard when it drops to 31 - and if it goes up to 37, ease off, and 39, stop pedalling. He uses a 10/20/30/40/50 protocol, but the principle works well.
Too simplistic approach. Far too many variables to just say I'll stick to a speed. Even trying to stick to a power band is fraught with danger - did that for my first TT with power on a course I'd raced a number of years. Rode my slowest time on that course that day! I just use PE with the power only as the carrot to make me work harder if my power drops below a predetermined value.

If you can pre-ride the course fine, but not necessary. Really only more about knowing the best lines rather than speeds through a section. What if on the rehearsal ride you have a tailwind and on race day a headwind?

Zill. Do the intervals / know your body and learn from the results. Only way to improve at TT's is to race as many as possible.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:04 pm

zill wrote:
Also by doing shorter intervals on the course wouldn't that likely to lead you to over pace yourself in the race?
most people UNDER-PACE

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
zill wrote:
most people UNDER-PACE
Isn't the most common mistake to start out too hard and then "blow up" or "crack" or "pop" as they say?

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Good point but at club level, most courses are not busy of traffic anyway.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:27 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Xplora wrote:I like Friel's approach to pacing - if your target pace is 35kmh, push harder when it drops to 33, push real hard when it drops to 31 - and if it goes up to 37, ease off, and 39, stop pedalling. He uses a 10/20/30/40/50 protocol, but the principle works well.
Too simplistic approach. Far too many variables to just say I'll stick to a speed. Even trying to stick to a power band is fraught with danger - did that for my first TT with power on a course I'd raced a number of years. Rode my slowest time on that course that day! I just use PE with the power only as the carrot to make me work harder if my power drops below a predetermined value.

If you can pre-ride the course fine, but not necessary. Really only more about knowing the best lines rather than speeds through a section. What if on the rehearsal ride you have a tailwind and on race day a headwind?

Zill. Do the intervals / know your body and learn from the results. Only way to improve at TT's is to race as many as possible.
What is PE?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm

zill wrote:
Isn't the most common mistake to start out too hard and then "blow up" or "crack" or "pop" as they say?
Not in my experience. Most people are too conservative.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 pm

zill wrote:
What is PE?
Perceived effort.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:44 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
zill wrote:
What is PE?
Perceived effort.

Ahh that makes sense. I think dalai has a good approach to the TT. When I focus on the power meter, I tend to push too hard and then crack before the finish in my practice TT. But then again I tend to aim for too high power numbers.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:35 am

The Friel principle is merely a starting point that acknowledges the importance of wind resistance and effort management. It could be a good starting point for zill who is happy to take suggestions. I know I sped up once I stopped pushing downhill.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:41 am

zill wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Perhaps, but how can a generic plan know that or that's the course you are going to ride?

My point is when you buy a generic plan, you can't expect it to be customised to your individual circumstance. That requires additional information and insight (and time to prepare it).

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:46 am

Derny Driver wrote:
zill wrote:
Not in my experience. Most people are too conservative.
I'd say you are both right.

Having done a lot of analytics on pacing, the most common mistake is starting too hard (opening 3-5 minutes) and then as a result not being able to go hard enough. Riders are often forced into being conservative.

But I definitely support what DD is saying. Finding the edge of the pacing cliff requires risk and a mental application that many either don't possess or don't train for. It's a special skill.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:38 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
zill wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Perhaps, but how can a generic plan know that or that's the course you are going to ride?

My point is when you buy a generic plan, you can't expect it to be customised to your individual circumstance. That requires additional information and insight (and time to prepare it).
As I'm just starting out, will give this generic plan a go and see how it goes. On your website http://www.rstsport.com/training/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are also some generic plans. What is the difference between TT Power Booster 1 and TT Power Booster 2 in terms of the training workouts? Say after I finish this program, should I go on to TT Power Booster 2 (I'm looking to do TT races on a monthly basis after my first one in 8 weeks)?