Diet Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:42 pm

Another article on the potential damage and the high intake in AU of ultra processed foods.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 5cbha.html

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:11 am

Nobody wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:52 pm
We may have thought that food deserts were mainly an US problem. Apparently they are in greater Sydney too.

https://theconversation.com/are-you-liv ... lth-196477
Interesting article and highlights the importance of good urban planning. Those maps were quite informative.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:00 am

matagi wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:11 am
Interesting article and highlights the importance of good urban planning. Those maps were quite informative.
Yes, a beneficial environmental setup in both the home and suburb clearly makes a difference. Especially for those who haven't got iron like "purpose power" working for them. Thanks to articles like that the issue is becoming more widely know. But I doubt that anything will be done about it as that would require money and committment. Especially in established suburbs.

However, for people who care about their health, it's still worth knowing to help plan where they might want to live. One of the factors as to why the wealthier generally have better health - other factors being a better level of general lifestyle education and often more time for meal prep and exercise. Also healthy foods are generally more expensive than processed foods for the same energy intake. Sadly, when it comes to health, we live in a class society. One can buck the trend, but it takes a lot more effort to do so living in a food desert and in a home that people fill with junk food (like mine).

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am

This might interest some that have some time on their hands. It doesn't generally paint low carb books/diets in a good light. He is very tactful at calling individuals liars.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:50 pm

The highly contentious topic of body image. Can't say I agree with the whole concept of positive body image that's associated with an unhealthy weight. Since being positive about being overweight ignores the health problems associated with it. Making Taryn Brumfitt the Australian of the year validates a dubious concept IMO.

Australian of the Year Taryn Brumfitt takes body positivity message to kids - ABC News

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:28 pm

The video below gives us a GP's perspective on what they face with the average patient. It relates to patient diet optimism bias which Greger did a video on. I've posted that video in this post. I've found the problem is ubiquitous in AU from the people I've had conversations with about diet. So much so that people usually have to be in a bad way health wise for me to even mention diet to them these days. Since everyone else thinks they have excellent diets already. Meanwhile I struggle to get the right diet formula to regain some health this year. Most take their health for granted until it's too late.

The below video highlights the problem with processed foods in wealthier countries. I'd expect this problem to spread to most of the world in time. Since many governments don't appear interested in preventing businesses damaging their people's health.
70% obesity in Nauru is a shocking statistic.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:55 pm

I've been making a lot of visits to hospitals lately as both my elderly father's (adopted and genetic) are in hospital. Below is a typical meal served for lunch. As can be seen, milk (only one was served, the other previous), ice cream, (what appears to be) a beef, cheese and tomato sandwitch, a cake, apple juice, coffee and a banana. Yes, you can recover on these foods, but most are far from healthy or ideal for healing. The hospitals usually argue it's about getting people to eat something - which has merit since both my fathers have lost weight from not eating enough. But I still believe that (particularly government) hospitals should be setting a better health food standard. Since if it's served in hospitals, then it's rubber stamped as healthy enough food. I'm not saying they need to serve anything extremely healthy. But animal products, juices, processed grains and high fat foods aren't going to help.

I also encouraged both my fathers to ask for the vegetarian menu for the benefit of their health. But neither have.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:11 pm

Agree on the "rubber stamped as healthy" bit because they are served in hossy.

The Royal Childrens Hospital in Melbourne has a McDonalds outlet in the hospital. :roll: :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:11 pm
...has a McDonalds outlet in the hospital. :roll: :x
Yeah, that's a shocker. With examples like that, you can tell that business prmarily calls the shots. Money talks. Some are trying to get the practice of fast food in hospitals stamped out in the US. Westmead hostipal has a number of cafes and shops that wouldn't be much better than McDonalds. I'm going there this week. I might take a closer look at what they offer.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:07 pm

Nobody wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:50 pm
The highly contentious topic of body image. Can't say I agree with the whole concept of positive body image that's associated with an unhealthy weight. Since being positive about being overweight ignores the health problems associated with it. Making Taryn Brumfitt the Australian of the year validates a dubious concept IMO.

Australian of the Year Taryn Brumfitt takes body positivity message to kids - ABC News
Another opinion on the subject of body positivity.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... d824a1b446

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:49 am

Lots of general tips in the video on gauging hunger, satiety, why not to initiate unnecessary eating. Why macros can be pointless and detract from the more important conversation about which foods are better to eat. Food relativity. Also the benefit of defining an eating window and finally biochronology.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:37 pm

This guy is critical of sugar and processed foods, but no mention of excessive fat intake. Other than that, can't fault his answers.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:47 pm

I thought this was new as most people would see the paleo diet as healthy. But according to a study it reduced memory in just 2 months.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 am

Nobody wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:37 pm
This guy is critical of sugar and processed foods, but no mention of excessive fat intake. Other than that, can't fault his answers.

The above video is typical these days about the cause of obesity, in which most are ignoring the fat and salt in their diets. The below video addresses this, in which IIRC there is a statement that 70% of all highly palatable foods (like processed foods that cause weight gain) are due to fat and salt. So sugar doesn't appear to be the main culprit. You may find the below video hard to follow as he seems to switch from one point to another rather quickly. The basic messages I got from the video - and there are likely many others in there that I missed - is that the addictive/hyper-palatable/ultra-processed foods are more prevalent now than they once were. Of them, the main players of the addictive ingredients appear to be fat and salt. He also suggests that saturated fat in particular as being more hyper-palatable. Dairy is well known to be addictive, with cheese considered to be the pinnacle of addictive foods. It's high in saturated fat, salt and caso-morphines.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:17 pm

It's been a while since I posted a video on food addiction. I thought this one was interesting.

jeniferbet

Postby jeniferbet » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:14 pm

Thanks for sharing! I actually understood that in order to lose weight, it is not enough just to have a deficit of calories - a healthy diet is not when you constantly want to eat and limit yourself in everything - it is a way of life (healthy sleep, enough healthy food and rest) - girls, let's not torture ourselves with exhausting diets and love ourselves as the way we are

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:47 pm

You're welcome Jeniferbet.

A problem with the English language is there isn't different words for diet for their different applications. There is what someone normally eats, which is referred to as their diet. As in animals have a specified natural diet. Diet in the context of "on a diet" usually refers to a change in eating habits for a specific time, usually to lose weight. Most of the posts in this thread refer to the former meaning. If diet is planned and executed well, then there should be no need to be "on a diet". Like you said, diet should be "a way of life" or a lifestyle choice. It shouldn't have a finishing date and doesn't need to be associated with a specific goal. Most people who change their diet as a conscious lifestyle choice often keep improving it over time.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat May 06, 2023 9:47 am

I'll wade in and give my entirely unqualified opinion on this!

My thought is the human body is evolutionarily adapted for survival. As a result the so-called 'caveman diet' is not really the one that's going to work the best, or make you live the longest. Thinking we had easy access to meat in those times is a falsehood - the vast majority of the population would have been one missed meal apart from starvation, and evolutionarily adapted to survive the best we could on the minimal calories we had available.

Now we have easy access to more food than we could possibly eat our bodies are still holding on to fat reserves the best we can as that's what they were designed to do - prepare for times of starvation.

Honestly in my experience people both oversimplify and overcomplicate diet. The fundamental of it is that the first law of thermodynamics applies - energy in must be less than energy out to lose weight. How you achieve this is up to you - some ways work better for some people, other ways for others. You just have to find out the way that works for you.

For some people this will be all vegetarian, for others all meat, heck, there's people losing huge amounts of weight on a 'potato only' diet (do not recommend unless you want some decent vitamin deficiencies). There's no magic bullet.

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue May 09, 2023 7:15 pm

Casual interview with 3 pro cyclist about their nutrition strategies.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 pm

Ben O’Connor, Jack Haig & Mike Woods - great video, cheers. So much content.

I'm suprised to hear Mike Woods describe 'vegetables' as a more complex food, as opposed to chicken! when talking about stressing out his digestive system.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat May 13, 2023 7:49 pm

Yes I found it quite surprising as well. I liked how after a grand tour he just wanted a salad!

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sun May 14, 2023 11:09 am

Maybe he only part cooks his veges. I steam light veges, but fairly over-cook others like pumpkin, carrots and eggplant. But there's no doubt people have been eating game/birds for a long time.. I guess I find chicken quite easy to digest.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:52 pm

A reductionist study on low carb and low fat diets in regard to mortality. A large study. Some typical results like saturated fat bad, plant protein good. Overall, low fat wins. I got this from a "Mic the Vegan" YouTube video I didn't want to post on why Dr. Mercola ditched keto

There is a lot more to a healthy diet that the basic macro ratios though.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... joim.13639

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:31 pm

I think most people have some kind of food addiction. I'm sure there are foods that if I started eating that I'd finish the whole block/pack, etc. It should be no surprise since many processed foods are designed that way. It has been said that the processing of certain foods and illicit drugs are much the same.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:04 pm