Cell Bikes out of business

bychosis

Re: Cell Bikes out of business

Postby bychosis » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:57 am

uart wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 pm
Also, in the past I've found Aldi battery products tend to be quite conservatively rated (read that they quote realistically obtainable figures, and not the completely over-exaggerated bullcrap specifications that many online sellers use).
That’s a pretty solid marketing strategy to create happy customers. They get a cheap product, it performs better than expected and therefore happy customers. Also with their great returns policy I’d imagine that if they followed the wild exaggeration of online sellers they’d get quite a few back. unlike with online where there is a big hassle of sending it back so many just deal with it and badmouth the seller.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 am

The Cell Bikes interview is now published with Dave Musgrove of Cell Bikes / Bicycles Online on the Cell Bikes relaunch.

Some of the details will be a confirmation, Dave Musgrove left Cell Bikes about a year prior to it shutting down. As a consumer, the branding and name is the same... and the legacy of the brand is certainly where Bicycles Online are seeking to push this brand ahead. I still find it a little difficult to create a clear separation because of this legacy but essentially we are looking at a new endeavour.
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:15 am

Excellent interview Christopher, and it confirms the whole branding exercise thing, which makes sense coming to market with a recognizable brand identity.

Good article, and I had no idea Cell were as big as that, so today I learned.

And it gives BOA the potential to be a bit silly with their model names.

Kids e-bikes could be AA Cell bikes, bikes for teens could be C Cell bikes and adult versions could be D Cell bikes.... :lol: (only joking)

Well done to BOA/Cell in their effort to bring a seemingly decent quality product to market at a reasonable price-point. If it gets people on bikes, who would otherwise not even consider it, then it can only be good. And the ALDI tie-in in the initial stages gets an immediate injection of profile, so that's a bit clever as well.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:32 pm

It appears that the Ebike Cell Bike is probably a good purchase for its price
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 pm

FWIW, seems a good business alliance and they should sell more than a few imho.
eBikes are a lot of fun (I'm told, cough) and no reason they have to be super expensive.

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Interesting in the interview Dave says that previous Cell owners should definitely contact them if they need a derailleur hanger. I emailed them yesterday to ask about a hanger for my Cell Akuna (mine's bent and I've been periodically straightening it with a wrench).

Reply back was:
Unfortunately we only pulled over the digital assets from Cell when we took over, we don't have access to hangers that were provided on the bike... It might be best to see if there is a part number on the hanger as you might be able to find something on Ebay to match

Communication within the company still not great? Bit frustrating when that glimmer of hope abruptly disappeared...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 am

Actually, they have provided a direct answer which is not satisfying but if they don’t have stock / details, understandable.

I think if you can identify the hanger, you will usually get a better price with a derailleur supplier than with a brand.
Cycling is in my BNA

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:08 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 am
Actually, they have provided a direct answer which is not satisfying but if they don’t have stock / details, understandable.

I think if you can identify the hanger, you will usually get a better price with a derailleur supplier than with a brand.
Sure its a direct (and unsatisfying) answer - but its a direct contradiction to what Dave said in his interview with you (which is why I'm annoyed).

Dave said: "We can also help with derailleur hangers, etc".
BOA have said to me: "We cannot help with derailleur hangers"

Two completely contradictory answers from the same organisation does not inspire confidence.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:52 pm

In Dave's defence, he did get put on the spot with "Christopher Jones: For previous Cell Bikes customers, if they have warranty issues, can they come to the new Cell Bikes?".

They have other ebikes too on their site. A 2 grand deore mtb
https://this link is broken/product/electr ... in-e-bike/
looks interesting. 1x makes sense on an ebike, but seat post junction looks a little fragile??

They have a new video too. Looks like the new boss and his kids. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aP2uSJYqEvM
Good luck to them.

Galls me a little NZ have a great brand, Avanti, but Aus is lacking one of this quality IMHO but I'm off on a tangent here.
Last edited by stevenaaus on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Got it... send a follow up and suggest that Dave could assist, if they have their official line... try and get past the firewall!
Cycling is in my BNA

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:49 pm

CyclistAB

Postby CyclistAB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 pm

So Plex Pty Ltd (ACN: 091 196 342), which traded under the name Cell Bikes, was liquidated and the ABN was deregistered. The brand trademark was subsequently bought by Bicycles Online, but they did not the business or stock, so they don't have spare frames or parts (and they will not admit liability for bikes bought from the previous owner). They were particularly unhelpful in finding out about replacement parts :?

I contacted the liquidator (Ky Chin) and he informed me that the stock was purchased by Cycle Canberra. Their contact details are available at https://www.cyclecanberra.com.au/contact

I have since been in contact with the manager, Rohan Reynolds, and he was able to locate and send me a replacement derailleur hanger for my Brunswick 1.0 (for $40). So if anyone needs parts for an older model Cell contact Rohan :D

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:25 pm

CyclistAB wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 pm
So if anyone needs parts for an older model Cell contact Rohan :D
Does he have any Cell frames or bikes?

CyclistAB

Postby CyclistAB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:17 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:25 pm
CyclistAB wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 pm
So if anyone needs parts for an older model Cell contact Rohan :D
Does he have any Cell frames or bikes?
Rohan bought the excess stock from the liquidation so he may do, call and ask?

I was only after a derailleur hanger

CyclistAB

Postby CyclistAB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Abby wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Interesting in the interview Dave says that previous Cell owners should definitely contact them if they need a derailleur hanger. I emailed them yesterday to ask about a hanger for my Cell Akuna (mine's bent and I've been periodically straightening it with a wrench).

Reply back was:
Unfortunately we only pulled over the digital assets from Cell when we took over, we don't have access to hangers that were provided on the bike... It might be best to see if there is a part number on the hanger as you might be able to find something on Ebay to match

Communication within the company still not great? Bit frustrating when that glimmer of hope abruptly disappeared...
I was after a rear derailleur too so I looked into Plex Pty Ltd (ACN: 091 196 342), which traded under the name Cell Bikes. The brand trademark was bought by Bicycles Online, but they don't have spare frames or parts. The liquidator, Ky Chin, told me that Cycle Canberra purchased the leftover stock from Cell. Their website is https://www.cyclecanberra.com.au/contact

If you're still after a rear derailleur contact Rohan Reynolds, he was able to locate and send me a replacement for my Brunswick 1.0 for $40

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:25 am

CyclistAB wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:23 pm
I was after a rear derailleur too so I looked into Plex Pty Ltd (ACN: 091 196 342), which traded under the name Cell Bikes. The brand trademark was bought by Bicycles Online, but they don't have spare frames or parts. The liquidator, Ky Chin, told me that Cycle Canberra purchased the leftover stock from Cell. Their website is https://www.cyclecanberra.com.au/contact

If you're still after a rear derailleur contact Rohan Reynolds, he was able to locate and send me a replacement for my Brunswick 1.0 for $40
Brilliant - thanks CyclistAB!! :-)