Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

blizzard

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby blizzard » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:36 am

Did the rail trail Yarraman to Wulkuraka on the weekend. It was a big day and I'm still a bit sore. I was riding my XC bike with GravelKing SS tyres. I had one off about 10km in, going down a river crossing, the surface was like marbles, carried a bit too much speed into the corner and washed out the front wheel. Otherwise the tyres were great for the trail, much better than the Maxxis Minion / Ardent combo I rode last time. Also, I had the fork unlocked most of the way as it really does save your hands over a long day.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:53 pm

I saw that, looked like a top effort.

Hope to get out there when my gravel bike arrives March/April. I anticipate falling off a lot.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:45 am

No reason that you should fall off. It's all very easy with the exception of some steep river crossings. If you take them slow (especially the ones at the Northern end, the Southern ones have concrete approaches) you shouldn't come off. I overestimated my abilities and went in far too hot for my tyres grip levels.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue May 02, 2023 10:16 am

blizzard wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:45 am
No reason that you should fall off. It's all very easy with the exception of some steep river crossings. If you take them slow (especially the ones at the Northern end, the Southern ones have concrete approaches) you shouldn't come off. I overestimated my abilities and went in far too hot for my tyres grip levels.
Yep, you're right. Nothing particularly technical in the Southern part at least, though I'd imagine there could be a few sketchy gully crossings a bit further up.

Finally made it out yesterday and did Wulkuraka-Coominya return in a pinch over 3 hours (27.9km/hr). Weirdly the first section after the concrete Brassall bikeway finishes seemed to be the roughest bit, and I ended up puncturing all of 500m before the concrete started again on the way back.

You can get up some decent speed on the flat bits around Coominya/Lowood/Fernvale - managed 18th overall and 32km/hr from Coominya to Fernvale without any real trouble and without a bike computer to show me my actual speed so will have to give that another tilt at some stage!

I'm going to put my name down for the 161km E2E Wulkuraka-Yarraman ride (i.e. race) on the 24th of June if anyone wants to join me. It'll be interesting to see how it flows, hoping for a 25km/hr+ average at this stage though nutrition and fatigue will become an issue.

Might give the Yarraman-Fernvale KOM a tilt a bit later in the year. 140km odd currently set at 5:15 and 26.6km/hr. For some reason the southbound times are a lot slower than north - I'd imagine because they're used less in events. End time is probably to be determined by a) how many punctures and b) how many bakeries you manage to ride by without stopping.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 02, 2023 7:55 pm

You better do a reccy ride, because it's not flat after Toogoolawah. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed May 03, 2023 10:44 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:55 pm

Foo
Looking at the terrain I had suspected as such. I think the gullies will slow me down more than the actual climbing though!

I think what'll end up happening is I'll target 28km/hr through to Esk/Toogoolawah and target 'survival' after that. Though honestly how fast I go probably depends on who else shows up. There's a few guys out there who will demolish me, but I might be able to scavenge a free tow for a while first.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 03, 2023 11:45 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:44 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:55 pm

Foo
Looking at the terrain I had suspected as such. I think the gullies will slow me down more than the actual climbing though!

I think what'll end up happening is I'll target 28km/hr through to Esk/Toogoolawah and target 'survival' after that. Though honestly how fast I go probably depends on who else shows up. There's a few guys out there who will demolish me, but I might be able to scavenge a free tow for a while first.
If I do it - come up and say hi at the start because I doubt I'll see you again. :cry: :oops:

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed May 03, 2023 12:18 pm

Definitely worth getting some gravel KMs under your belt before the race, as someone that was fairly fit on a road bike, I did the whole 161km the easy way (North to South) and it absolutely destroyed me. The second 80km was tough into a head wind, the cumulative fatigue was way worse than anything I've had on a road bike. I was on an XC bike with 46mm tyres and suspension unlocked but still got beat up a heap, huge bruises from the saddle.
Last edited by blizzard on Wed May 03, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 03, 2023 1:42 pm

blizzard wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:18 pm
Definitely worth getting some gravel KMs under your belt before the race, as someone that was fairly fit on a road bike, I did the whole 161km the easy way (North to South) and it absolutely destroyed me. The second 80km was tough into a head wind, the cumulative fatigue was way worse than anything I've had on a road bike. I was on an XC bike with 46mm tyres and suspension on locked but still got beat up a heap, huge bruises from the saddle.
Might be worth a MTB for that. :o

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed May 03, 2023 2:26 pm

blizzard wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:18 pm
Definitely worth getting some gravel KMs under your belt before the race, as someone that was fairly fit on a road bike, I did the whole 161km the easy way (North to South) and it absolutely destroyed me. The second 80km was tough into a head wind, the cumulative fatigue was way worse than anything I've had on a road bike. I was on an XC bike with 46mm tyres and suspension unlocked but still got beat up a heap, huge bruises from the saddle.
I agree, hence the 85km gravel ride on Monday.

I suspect it's going to be 'uncharted territory' at 100km+ regardless. I seemed to recover well from Monday despite it being a high intensity one, and arms, wrists, and butt all seem ok. Don't suspect the same after an extra 76km though (and probably rougher). Not sure you can really train for that anyway, I think it'll mainly be about pacing and nutrition and equipment choices.

If anyone wants to join me you're entirely welcome!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat May 13, 2023 1:24 pm

Take two today - wanted to see a bit more trail so did Fernvale-Esk return. 88km and had a good run out but got clobbered by a headwind most of the way back.

Got the nutrition right, enough water, and was going strong with about 5km to go when I had a really dumb low speed crash on a gentle right hander. Don't know what happened, I wasn't going particularly fast and think it was just fatigue related.

Inevitably I'd forgotten my gloves for the first time in years so got to decorate the bars with some claret.

Average speed of 27.9km/hr again, exactly the same as last time. The gullys are certainly a bit interesting a bit further up - only had to resort to walking one (the one with the stepping stones). Probably could have made it but didn't want to risk a crash that remote.

Reconsidering the 161km event now. Not sure if I'll be able to cope with the fatigue over that distance.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat May 13, 2023 6:13 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:24 pm
Take two today - wanted to see a bit more trail so did Fernvale-Esk return. 88km and had a good run out but got clobbered by a headwind most of the way back.

Got the nutrition right, enough water, and was going strong with about 5km to go when I had a really dumb low speed crash on a gentle right hander. Don't know what happened, I wasn't going particularly fast and think it was just fatigue related.

Inevitably I'd forgotten my gloves for the first time in years so got to decorate the bars with some claret.

Average speed of 27.9km/hr again, exactly the same as last time. The gullys are certainly a bit interesting a bit further up - only had to resort to walking one (the one with the stepping stones). Probably could have made it but didn't want to risk a crash that remote.

Reconsidering the 161km event now. Not sure if I'll be able to cope with the fatigue over that distance.
Falling off sucks, but better at the end than the start. I have done Fernvale to Esk return once, I found you really notice how much of the ride to Esk was a false flat uphill when you turn around, you can fly downhill on good day. The day I did the 161km North to South there was brutal headwind, the open fields between Esk and Fernvale sapped all the energy from the legs.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat May 13, 2023 9:15 pm

Headwind today was nasty - it’s very open around Coominya and I was struggling to maintain 27km/hr downhill at times.

Had a tailwind up but didn’t really appreciate it until I turned around. I suppose the 31.1km/hr average Fernvale-Coominya should have been a clue!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon May 15, 2023 4:14 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:24 pm

That sucks big time. :( The steeper sections are north of Esk coming out of some of the creeks. I snapped my chain coming of the one at Harlin. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon May 15, 2023 5:53 pm

It seemed to be getting hairier the further I went so I figured it’ll get a bit worse further up. No real drama - could have been worse.

Back thinking I’ll do the 161km event but with more a ‘survival’ strategy. I’m up there on the segment leaderboards but there’s definitely 5-10 riders a lot faster than me out there and there’s no way I’m keeping up my current 3W/kg endurance pace for 6 hours.

It’ll be an interesting ride at least! I suspect a gravel bike group will average 30km/hr or so to Esk/Toogoolawah and then split up.Half thinking I’ll run a 2L Camelbak of water, two bottles of electrolytes and a bakery full of snacks and attempt to grind out a non-stopper.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Intending to do my first bvrt section during the holidays on MTB. Wondering how hard yarraman to toogoolawah one way would be? Taking my 17yo old son who has done a reasonable amount of mountain biking and is fit.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:04 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:32 pm
Intending to do my first bvrt section during the holidays on MTB. Wondering how hard yarraman to toogoolawah one way would be? Taking my 17yo old son who has done a reasonable amount of mountain biking and is fit.
Pretty easy, there is a big downhill section into Moore and it's largely downhill most of the way. A couple creek crossings with can be a bit slippery due to fine gravel on the surface.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:16 am

InTheWoods wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:32 pm
FYI bombing down the bit from blackbutt is known to increase your chance of punctures.. as fun as it seems at the time. Maybe take it a little easy. :mrgreen:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:08 am

There's a race on it today. (BVRT E2Ex1~E2Ex2/BVRT 150 2023)

From their site.

A few words from the BVRT E2E 2023 event organisers.

Tomorrow, a lot of attention will be focussed on the front runners who will probably achieve some amazing times for completing the entire length of the BVRT. There have been a lot of improvements since we last ran an E2E in 2021, and the track conditions are near perfect. We have some amazing athletes participating in the event up to Olympic standard. It’s going to be very exciting watching their progress up the trail.

However, I’d also like to give a shout out to the ordinary women and men who are giving it a go and simply aiming to complete the challenge within the 10-hour time limit.
People like the middle-aged dairy farmer who only took up cycling a couple of years ago when she bought an e-mtb. She recently completed the entire length of the BVRT from north to south in one day as a practice run, and then cycled the 40 km to get home as you do, making a total of 200 km. I’ve known her for many years, and I did not see that coming. Just awesome.
One of the things that impresses me the most about the BVRT is the way it inspires ordinary people to do extraordinary things. They often start out with a couple of small adventures on the BVRT, and then get more and more ambitious as they step outside of their comfort zone.
Cycling the entire length of the 160 km BVRT uphill from south to north is no mean feat. The 18 km climb up from Linville to Benarkin is the sting in the tail. It’s not steep, but when you’ve just cycled 100 km, it goes on forever. Just completing the entire course is a major achievement.
So well done everyone for giving it a go, you are all heroes.
Even if you don’t complete the course, you still beat everyone sitting on a couch at home, and I’m sure you’ll come back next time even better prepared.

So, rubber side down everyone, ride safe, ride with humility, integrity and respect, take care of each other, and have a great day out on the rail trail.
Paul H for the BVRT Users Association

@everyone

Foo
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:01 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:08 am

From their site.

Tomorrow, a lot of attention will be focussed on the front runners who will probably achieve some amazing times for completing the entire length of the BVRT. There have been a lot of improvements since we last ran an E2E in 2021, and the track conditions are near perfect. We have some amazing athletes participating in the event up to Olympic standard. It’s going to be very exciting watching their progress up the trail.

However, I’d also like to give a shout out to the ordinary women and men who are giving it a go and simply aiming to complete the challenge within the 10-hour time limit.
People like the middle-aged dairy farmer who only took up cycling a couple of years ago when she bought an e-mtb. She recently completed the entire length of the BVRT from north to south in one day as a practice run, and then cycled the 40 km to get home as you do, making a total of 200 km. I’ve known her for many years, and I did not see that coming. Just awesome.
One of the things that impresses me the most about the BVRT is the way it inspires ordinary people to do extraordinary things. They often start out with a couple of small adventures on the BVRT, and then get more and more ambitious as they step outside of their comfort zone.
Cycling the entire length of the 160 km BVRT uphill from south to north is no mean feat. The 18 km climb up from Linville to Benarkin is the sting in the tail. It’s not steep, but when you’ve just cycled 100 km, it goes on forever. Just completing the entire course is a major achievement.
Even if you don’t complete the course, you still beat everyone sitting on a couch at home, and I’m sure you’ll come back next time even better prepared.

So, rubber side down everyone, ride safe, ride with humility, integrity and respect, take care of each other, and have a great day out on the rail trail.

@everyone

Foo
It's not a race! :mrgreen:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:17 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:01 am
My face (number 31) and Strava HRM record says otherwise!

I think I now have the distinction of being the 'slowest ever rider to actually beat the train' at under 6 hours with a 5:59:18 on the official timing. But given I was only about the 12th person to actually do it (according to Strava at least) I'll take that.

Another 'not a race' on the 4th of August if anyone wants to join the fun. Well run event even if more serious than I expected.

As warned it does get a bit hillier after Esk. Only had to walk the one gully but I think the most disappointing aspect of the whole day was that I broke on the 18km climb to Blackbutt. Happy to break given the speed of these guys, but would have preferred it on the flat bit!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:05 pm

Comedian wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:08 am

From their site.

@everyone

Foo

:lol: :lol: Yeah, right! :P

Foo
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:54 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:17 pm
Comedian wrote:

I think I now have the distinction of being the 'slowest ever rider to actually beat the train' at under 6 hours with a 5:59:18 on the official timing. But given I was only about the 12th person to actually do it (according to Strava at least) I'll take that.

Another 'not a race' on the 4th of August if anyone wants to join the fun. Well run event even if more serious than I expected.

As warned it does get a bit hillier after Esk. Only had to walk the one gully but I think the most disappointing aspect of the whole day was that I broke on the 18km climb to Blackbutt. Happy to break given the speed of these guys, but would have preferred it on the flat bit!
Great Effort! Bravo!

My day went poorly - but it was valuable. Some good things and one big thing to work on.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:32 pm

Probably more a reflection of the group that towed me 130km than me, but pretty happy to keep up for that long!

How'd you go? If I'd realised you were there I would have said 'hello'.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:50 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:17 pm
Comedian wrote:

You're pretty fit, but the guy in front of you looks like he is at the end of a 20k coffee ride.