Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Comedian

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:22 pm
I was going to do the whole distance - probably in two days.

After experience this week I think an 11-28 cassette to go with my 50/34 will be necessary. I managed to get lost on a loop out past Eudlo today and had to do 5km on hilly gravel to get around a road closure.you really need the lower gearing to climb seated.

Descents will be the main tricky bit as you said. Simply because it’s no great hardship to walk up if necessary.
And what goes with fire trails is different to "normal". Ie a cliff face is considered acceptable. There is one road up near nebo that I'm told nearly needs ropes. :oops:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:19 am

Having arrived back home I've had a good look at my ancient Avanti, and decided it's got decent clearance and the frameset geometry looks a lot like a gravel bike anyway.

I'm going to stick some of these on it:

https://www.probikekit.com.au/bicycle-t ... 67281.html

And start commuting to work the dirt way, just to see how it goes. Worst case scenario I just waste $100 on tyres that I needed anyway.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:19 am
Having arrived back home I've had a good look at my ancient Avanti, and decided it's got decent clearance and the frameset geometry looks a lot like a gravel bike anyway.

And start commuting to work the dirt way, just to see how it goes. Worst case scenario I just waste $100 on tyres that I needed anyway.
They look good. However be mindful that they won't bee super good in the loose stuff. Something about the soil composition around BNE is it turns to a fine powerdery dust in the dry. :shock: Of course see how you go and report back.

I recently changed to tyres with far bigger nobs away from the Racing Ralph because when I was on dirt it was ice.. just planing on top of the powder. :shock:

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how wrong I am any moment, but proper MTB tyres with bigger nobs has been a game changer for me.

These were the ones I used to have: https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/schwalbe-rocket-ron-tyre

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Comedian wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 am
Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:19 am

They look good. However be mindful that they won't bee super good in the loose stuff. Something about the soil composition around BNE is it turns to a fine powerdery dust in the dry. :shock: Of course see how you go and report back.

I recently changed to tyres with far bigger nobs away from the Racing Ralph because when I was on dirt it was ice.. just planing on top of the powder. :shock:

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how wrong I am any moment, but proper MTB tyres with bigger nobs has been a game changer for me.

These were the ones I used to have: https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/schwalbe-rocket-ron-tyre
Yes those Gravelking 28’s are good touring tyres but a little underdone for some parts of the BVRT
I used them on an old Shogun road bike to do Blackbutt to Moore last year. No pinch flats but my riding buddies with knobbly 700x40 gravel tyres went down the hills with greater speed and confidence.
As Comedian says, Brissie soils go to slippery powder in the dry.
This is very evident on some of the non-technical tracks off of the side of Mt Coottha. Usually after a bit of rain (not too much !) you can descend the one from Sallyanne Atkinson Park to Highwood Rd ( sometimes known as “3 Sisters” on Strava) with a Road bike running 700x25 on approx 60 psi inflation.
But try this in the dry and you very quickly end up sprawled in the dust :lol:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 am

Weirdly, Schwalbe do a 30mm Cyclocross tyre for about $25 that may be suitable:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tire ... oss/cx_pro

Apparently they measure up at about 28mm on the rim so plenty of clearance. Would be completely useless on road I imagine.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:51 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 am
Weirdly, Schwalbe do a 30mm Cyclocross tyre for about $25 that may be suitable:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tire ... oss/cx_pro

Apparently they measure up at about 28mm on the rim so plenty of clearance. Would be completely useless on road I imagine.
Well.. useless? Certainly probably slower and noisier than you're used to.

But I can tell you if I was going at speed down some fireroad somewhere I think I would much rather have that tyre. Or for that matter climbing some cliff face... you'll need the nobby grip.

I did a MTB commute this morning over cootha and through gap creek and into town. The triails were just the right amount of grip this morning. perfect amount of rain!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:44 am

I've done numerous rides on the BVRT using Vittoria Mezcal. You don't need anything knobbier.

Gravel King SS would be more than adequate and are available in 28, 32, and 35mm widths. There is also a plus version if you want better puncture resistance.

I have 45mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H on my Canyon and will be riding the rail trail Gympie to Wulkuraka in the next month or so. The smallest size offered is 35mm.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:27 pm

RonK wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:44 am
I've done numerous rides on the BVRT using Vittoria Mezcal. You don't need anything knobbier.

Gravel King SS would be more than adequate and are available in 28, 32, and 35mm widths. There is also a plus version if you want better puncture resistance.

I have 45mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H on my Canyon and will be riding the rail trail Gympie to Wulkuraka in the next month or so. The smallest size offered is 35mm.
I'm sure you could ride the BVRT on that kind of tyre.

Not so sure I'd want to do the experiment on the steep fire trails around Brisbane. On my commute this morning I had a positive 14 and -11 (although strava says it peaks at -26) . I'll take the nobbies thanks. I've personally put two people into ambulances on three sisters (the -26 bit). The common theme for both was minimally nobbed tyres.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:27 pm
RonK wrote:

Not so sure I'd want to do the experiment on the steep fire trails around Brisbane. On my commute this morning I had a positive 14 and -11 (although strava says it peaks at -26) . I'll take the nobbies thanks. I've personally put two people into ambulances on three sisters (the -26 bit). The common theme for both was minimally nobbed tyres.
Meh, I've ridden 1000's of kms bikepacking on gravel with all sorts of grades, and the experience gives me every confidence in my choice of tyres.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 am

RonK wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 pm
Comedian wrote:
RonK wrote:

Meh, I've ridden 1000's of kms bikepacking on gravel with all sorts of grades, and the experience gives me every confidence in my choice of tyres.
Just so you know it took hours to get the ambulance down three sisters. But I guess you'd be doing that on your e-mtb anyway because #hills

EDIT: and I'd pay to watch someone riding either three sisters or powerful owl either way on a bikepacking bike on slicks. You must be very confident or naive. So have you ridden either trail on a gravel bike? :D
Last edited by Comedian on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am

Comedian wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 am
RonK wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 pm
Comedian wrote:

Just so you know it took hours to get the ambulance down three sisters. But I guess you'd be doing that on your e-mtb anyway because #hills
My e-mtb also has Mezcals fitted. I've ridden many of tracks at Gap Creek Reserve on them.

But this discussion and my comments are about tyres suitable for the BVRT.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 pm

I think I accidentally created two discussions when I changed from 'should I buy a mountain bike or gravel bike and do local tracks and the BVRT with it' to 'should I stick gravel tyres on my old road bike and just do some dirt roads and the BVRT'.

I think the second plan is better purely because it'll cost me about $100 to have a 105 equipped bike I can use on gravel occasionally. If I find I actually use it to ride on gravel I can upgrade to something else later.

If I don't I can build a full weight weenie spec climbing bike instead.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:09 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 pm
I think I accidentally created two discussions when I changed from 'should I buy a mountain bike or gravel bike and do local tracks and the BVRT with it' to 'should I stick gravel tyres on my old road bike and just do some dirt roads and the BVRT'.

I think the second plan is better purely because it'll cost me about $100 to have a 105 equipped bike I can use on gravel occasionally. If I find I actually use it to ride on gravel I can upgrade to something else later.

If I don't I can build a full weight weenie spec climbing bike instead.
I'm telling you. Fire roads and water bars are very very bad. Things start to get a bit fast, and then you go over a water bar and you've got some time you can't brake and then your going faster.. and this continues until it all stops continuing. The only way is to have plenty of grip to stop it getting out of hand. Don't listen to anyone that tells you you can do it on tyres with minimal tread because I'd hate the forum to loose you.

You can ride a road bike with road tyres on the BVRT, but our steep fire roads around gap creek and nebo etc need grip. I was climbing powerful owl this morning and when i looked down I think I saw 17%. it's a bit hard to say because the really pinchy bits I was to busy to look down. One day I fell off on that track.. but the mechanism was I fell over the back wheel down the hill. At least going up you can just get off.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks for the advice. I agree, the dirt roads I am talking about would be as flat and evenly graded as possible!

Having descended a couple of short 8% gravel segments on GP4000s, it's not particularly something I want to do again. Climbing is ok, descents not so!

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:23 pm

I'm thinking of tackling the BVRT on my hardtail. I have to sets of wheels, one I use for commutes with 27.5 X 1.5 Maxxis Detonator slicks and the other is for MTB trails with Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 and Ardent 2.4 rear.

Which is better suited for BVRT? I'm leaning towards the slicks as they are faster rolling but will they have enough grip?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:29 am

blizzard wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:23 pm
I'm thinking of tackling the BVRT on my hardtail. I have to sets of wheels, one I use for commutes with 27.5 X 1.5 Maxxis Detonator slicks and the other is for MTB trails with Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 and Ardent 2.4 rear.

Which is better suited for BVRT? I'm leaning towards the slicks as they are faster rolling but will they have enough grip?
Big extremes there of tyre! Probably the best is a fast rolling MTB cross country tyre .. just a little bit of tread. My preference would not to be to ride the trail on slicks.

I'd just run your minions... they are fine. Just get out and ride it!

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:18 am

Comedian wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:29 am
blizzard wrote:

Big extremes there of tyre! Probably the best is a fast rolling MTB cross country tyre .. just a little bit of tread. My preference would not to be to ride the trail on slicks.

Thanks, I'm just going to run the Minions, not the fastest tyre but the tyres I have.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:19 pm

blizzard wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:18 am
Comedian wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:29 am
blizzard wrote:

Thanks, I'm just going to run the Minions, not the fastest tyre but the tyres I have.
I fitted some recently (and removed rocket rons) and I was pleasantly surprised at how little difference they made. I don't think pavement resistance tests are super applicable to off road situations.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:08 am

I wouldn't be thinking about riding it for a couple of weeks now, after all of the flooding that has gone through there. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:08 am
I wouldn't be thinking about riding it for a couple of weeks now, after all of the flooding that has gone through there. :idea:

Foo
It looks as though it was hammered. Wait to hear.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:28 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/BVRT/Need-to-know

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:42 am

Yeah, I just hope that people will take notice of the closure and let the repairs get done and then enjoy the Trail again. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:09 am

RonK wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:28 pm
Comedian wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Damn.. sounds like much of the SEQ bike infrastructure.

In my woods (near kedron brook) it was much worse than 2011. We've got multiple crossings severely damaged and large sections of trail gone. In 2011 it too I think over a year to fix the one crossing that was damaged (bridge was fine but bank eroded). We better hope they lift their game this time. It's going to heavily impact cycling on the northside, kids riding to school, commuting etc.

At least the BVRT is likely to get state funding rather than relying on BCC.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm

Comedian wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:09 am
RonK wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:28 pm
Comedian wrote:

In my woods (near kedron brook) it was much worse than 2011. We've got multiple crossings severely damaged and large sections of trail gone. In 2011 it too I think over a year to fix the one crossing that was damaged (bridge was fine but bank eroded). We better hope they lift their game this time. It's going to heavily impact cycling on the northside, kids riding to school, commuting etc.

Don't hold your breath. After the 2011 floods it was several months before the BVRT (the sections that were completed then) to be re-opened.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:15 pm

RonK wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Comedian wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:09 am

Don't hold your breath. After the 2011 floods it was several months before the BVRT (the sections that were completed then) to be re-opened.
Will be interesting to see. At this juncture the cycling infra around SEQ has been mauled. The "When we get around to it" attitude shouldn't be tolerated.

Near me there was a landslide which covered the bike track and went over the road. The road was cleared and cleaned immediately. The bike track of course.. not so much.