Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:53 pm

vosadrian wrote:If I took your approach of removing all risk that can be removed, I would also make it illegal for cyclists to be on the same road with cars.
Or make it illegal for car drivers to be the road with cyclists. Why assume cars should have priority in all areas? Many urban areas would benefit from a ban on private motor vehicles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Can’t we just all get along? Why is it that the roads feel so dangerous in Australia, yet in France you can ride on quite busy roads with a high degree of safety. I was riding on a main road last week with a heavy truck behind me and didn’t feel any concern at all.

It’s the drivers who are very much more cautious and careful. Even with sometimes awful road quality, the riding conditions are much better. There isn’t the animosity between drivers, riders and pedestrians.

Also the local speed limits are much lower. That should be in Australia too.

I mean what’s the point of a narrow, twisting back street in a residential area having a 50km/h limit?

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
vosadrian wrote:If I took your approach of removing all risk that can be removed, I would also make it illegal for cyclists to be on the same road with cars.
Or make it illegal for car drivers to be the road with cyclists. Why assume cars should have priority in all areas? Many urban areas would benefit from a ban on private motor vehicles.
Actually I don't think I said which should be removed... I just made the comment that they should not be on the same road. But let's be realistic here. I am all for idealism. I love my bike. I think more people should ride them for more trips. But the suggestion that cars be removed from the roads so cyclists can ride more safely... in Australia? Aint gonna float in yours or my lifetime!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:Can’t we just all get along? Why is it that the roads feel so dangerous in Australia, yet in France you can ride on quite busy roads with a high degree of safety. I was riding on a main road last week with a heavy truck behind me and didn’t feel any concern at all.

It’s the drivers who are very much more cautious and careful. Even with sometimes awful road quality, the riding conditions are much better. There isn’t the animosity between drivers, riders and pedestrians.

Also the local speed limits are much lower. That should be in Australia too.

I mean what’s the point of a narrow, twisting back street in a residential area having a 50km/h limit?
I've driven and ridden in many different countries. Australian drivers are the most aggressive and uncourteous of any country I have driven in. This is much more than the rules here. Simple things like trying to change a lane legally are met with any gaps being closed. It seems to be a cultural thing. Not sure how you go about changing that, but I am sure this bravado attitude contributes to the way cyclists are treated.

I'm with you though. I have ridden several of the popular climbs in Europe that are also frequented by cars and motorbikes in high volumes, and they just accept bikes over there. No need to rush past them and give some attitude on the way through to let you know they are displeased you got in their way. I think its a case that cycling is just a much bigger more historical part of their culture. More people ride and they are used to them being around.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:49 pm

vosadrian wrote:..law...
Check your local "hoon" laws and interpretations thereof. Trust me, I have the ticket to prove it (from decades ago).
vosadrian wrote: And for a black box to detect lane position, it changes from a simple retrofit item to a device requiring multiple cameras/sensors. It would not be cheap or easy to fit to existing vehicles.
Except that most upmarket cars are already equipped with them. Many cars already have front/rear/side radar and lane following technology.

Further. The current RAC WA magazine lists breaking and accellerating hard as something to avoid as, amongst other things, they say it may trigger the car's "fatigued driver " interventions.

Like you, I think this is over simplistic (e.g. our journalist was on the wrong side of the road ) and I'm glad to see that (finally) NSW is rolling out some tech to detect and fine "distracted" drivers.

Meanwhile, the link between being willing to break the speed limit and likelihood of accidents gets yet another nail in the coffin of "it's all about revenue raising"
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ