Tubeless roadbike tyres

biker jk

Re: Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby biker jk » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:30 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:45 am
No drain holes in these rims hence you can just pressurise the entire inside.

Valve was nice and tight - just too many layers of sealant gunk to actually seal properly.
When I changed tyres on my gravel bike, apart from re-taping the rims I also removed the valves and cleaned them of sealant.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:35 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:45 am
No drain holes in these rims hence you can just pressurise the entire inside.

Valve was nice and tight - just too many layers of sealant gunk to actually seal properly.
Careful you get the valve seated and sealed then. Apparently if you get a fast enough leak you can blow the side of the rim out.
There is a bit on ww forum where it has happened to people. Usually failed rim tape I believe which yours doesn't have, but the risk is there I suppose.
I specced drain holes in my WR50s for that reason even though the chance is probably pretty small with no rim tape to fail.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:08 pm

biker jk wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:30 pm
When I changed tyres on my gravel bike, apart from re-taping the rims I also removed the valves and cleaned them of sealant.
Yep, lesson learned! These are the third set of tubeless tyres these valves have fitted and they took a bit more to seal every time.

Just need to add ‘remove, inspect and clean valve’ to the routine. Only takes a few extra seconds as well!

Now I feel I should take to the internet to shout about how bad road tubeless is because I bollocksed it up. That seems to be what people do.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:35 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:08 pm

Now I feel I should take to the internet to shout about how bad road tubeless is because I bollocksed it up. That seems to be what people do.
They do :lol:
Thanks for not being one of those peanuts.
We are all learning here it's a good thread 8)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:46 am

Yes, this is a good thread, but the more I read the more I am happy to stay with tubed tyres.

Oh well, each to their own, I will continue t read this thread with interest.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:51 am

I hate punctures, they annoy me.
Tubeless has almost completely resolved them for me.
Already happy but even more convinced when I pulled two bits of tyre carcass wire out of a rear tyre. Rotate to the bottom and let the sealant do it's work.
Pump it a few psi harder and put it back on the rack. Rode that tyre without further incident until it wore out.

That is the road perspective. Imagine riding tubes on gravel. :o It is really hard on tyres. I wouldn't be bothered doing it if tubes were the only way.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:49 am

I'm 4000km into road tubeless without a puncture yet, I'm a convert. Way more comfortable at 60PSI than 80PSI as well.

Gravel I have 2500km tubeless with four punctures. But two were fixed in seconds (we won't mention the other two, but that was more an equipment issue than a tubeless specific issue).

It's changed punctures from 'something that may end a ride' to 'something that I don't even worry about'.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:05 pm

For road >20k km. Had to put a tube in once. The valve core had dried sealant on it. That's it.
I had some Hutchison fusions early on the had delamination on parts of the tread, bit I never had to stop on the ride because of them.
I prefer it to tubed for the lack of punctures but it does take a bit of getting used to it as far as setting
them up goes.

Gravel a tube in once (sidewall) and plugged two or three times.
Multiple times a bit of sealant spray and keep riding. Often not even aware of it until you clean the bike.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:49 am

Rolled out front door and noticed a thumb tack in front tyre. Removed and rotated puncture to bottom and it sealed quickly. Back to garage to pump up and on my way.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:50 am

I can say this without annoying the puncture gods, because have had two puncture in 10 days.
Both rock hits on our potholed magnificent roads in dark mornings.
Each time a little pressure loss, but still able to ride home.
Pump up again in the garage and all fine. Could see the sealant oozing out of the small holes before I reinflated.
If running tubes, both would have seen me repairing on the side of the road in the dark.
Have been a tubeless convert for a while now. this just confirms.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:16 pm

caneye wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:31 pm
hi .. I reckon your new TCR came with the Cadex wheelset?
If so, is there any specific reason why you are using the Tufo TR tyres?

Giant is very specific about what tyres work with their hookless Cadex wheelsets and Tufo is not on the list.
FYI - https://www.cadex-cycling.com/global/ho ... technology

I've got Cadex wheels, so will be keen to understand how this works out :)

[ snipped ]
Nah - the bike is the pov pack version with PR2 hooked rims. I specifically wanted non-integrated and it's not worth $K's to go up a level or two considering it's the bag on the saddle (me!) that needs improving.
As per the comment - the Tufo reportedly has better puncture protection, but it already has plugged itself after a cut while the Conti looks like it hasn't been used. The Tufo was also half-price, but I'll probably go Conti when it wears out.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:04 pm

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall ... ycle-tyres

Pirelli Zero Race 28c tubeless recall.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:05 am

Any suggestions without trawling through the thread about a good 28mm tubeless tyre for the road bike. I’ve been running the Conti 5000 TR but a sealant spraying puncture has put paid to that tyre and time to replace the two. Had no issues but keen if there is another people recommend trying.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:38 am

Vittoria corsa N.EXT are more reasonably priced and tougher apparently. I haven't used 5kS TR.
https://road.cc/content/review/vittoria ... yre-296249

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ext-tlr-28

I have one on the front which has been good. A couple more in the drawer as spares. Will put one on the rear eventually but not riding anywhere near as much road now.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:10 am

Thanks! I guess a determining factor will be what the store has also :D

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:14 am

Warnesy wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:05 am
Any suggestions without trawling through the thread about a good 28mm tubeless tyre for the road bike. I’ve been running the Conti 5000 TR but a sealant spraying puncture has put paid to that tyre and time to replace the two. Had no issues but keen if there is another people recommend trying.
I'm having a good run with Vittoria Corsa NEXT - I'm on my third set. Much cheaper ($75 or so on Bikebug), easy to fit and I still haven't had a puncture. Schwalbe Pro One TLE are around the same price as well and are apparently very good.

The Pirelli recall is interesting - apparently they had one case of the tyre leaving the rim in 17,000 sold. They're either being extremely cautious or have somehow proved it's a manufacturing issue and not the user error you'd normally expect.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:03 pm

Thanks both, the shop had the Vittoria’s so I’m giving them a go. Already I like the price!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:42 pm

Has anyone found a cheap place to get the GP5000S-TR? Is around $100 a tyre as cheap as it gets at the moment? I had a stash I have now run out of so have not bought in some time. Last I payed about $60 a tyre I think.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:39 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:42 pm
Has anyone found a cheap place to get the GP5000S-TR? Is around $100 a tyre as cheap as it gets at the moment? I had a stash I have now run out of so have not bought in some time. Last I payed about $60 a tyre I think.
Nope. Stopped using Conti due to the pricing
Corsa N.EXT are doing the job for me.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:50 pm

Fair enough. I am going to stick with the Contis. Just trying to find if there are any secret places to get a good deal on them.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:52 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:50 pm
Fair enough. I am going to stick with the Contis. Just trying to find if there are any secret places to get a good deal on them.
Ccache with a $10 off for first order code for $190 for 2. Much more than the ~$120 a pair including a bottle of sealant I was getting a few years ago!

I have been happy with the tyres. Price is on the high side, but not a big deal compared to general life expenses to spend an extra $70 on about 8000kms and 250-300 hours of riding. A buck for every few hours of riding.

lenga58

Postby lenga58 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:38 pm

Hi what is the go to liquid/patch kit for tubeless tyres? i got a puncture which keeps weeping and need to clean it up reseal and add liquid to the tyre...

thank you

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:46 am

lenga58 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:38 pm
Hi what is the go to liquid/patch kit for tubeless tyres? i got a puncture which keeps weeping and need to clean it up reseal and add liquid to the tyre...

thank you
Is this a bot? I really can't tell for sure now.

In the off chance that you're not - this is going to require considerable explanation. For starters you'll need to either add more sealant to the tyre or (more likely) remove the whole tyre and replace all of the sealant. You can either remove the tyre and clean and patch it from the inside using a standard tube repair kit (glueless is easier) but then will need to refit and rebead the tyre which will likely require an air compressor. Plus you'll need to replace all of the sealant then.

Any sealant is fine, but the 'non-race' versions are easier because you can put them down the valve. Orange Seal and Stans are my go to because a) I can reliably buy them, and b) they're not too expensive. Any tyre patch kit will cost all of $3-5 at your local bike shop.

You can also just plug the hole with any of the myriad of tubeless plug kits available. I've only really had consistent luck with Dynaplug, and they're expensive. More an 'on the trail to get home' fix than home in my opinion.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:47 am

Ok, so it turns out I'm absolutely killing Vittoria Corsa NEXT TLRs. Last two have worn down to big patches of canvas in less than 800km.

This was the current one with all of 783km on it. Not a cut either, it was like this in three places.

Might try the newer Pirellis or Schwalbe Pro one now. I don't think I'm riding any more violently than I used to so that doesn't seem right.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:25 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:47 am
Ok, so it turns out I'm absolutely killing Vittoria Corsa NEXT TLRs. Last two have worn down to big patches of canvas in less than 800km.

This was the current one with all of 783km on it. Not a cut either, it was like this in three places.

Might try the newer Pirellis or Schwalbe Pro one now. I don't think I'm riding any more violently than I used to so that doesn't seem right.
It has to be your standing climbing. Nobody I know does that to tyres. You are strong but there are stronger riders here I expect, national level anyway.
It ain't the tyres it is the use imo. Not replicated elsewhere and happening on multiple different brands and model of tyre.