Track Skills

Calvin27

Re: Track Skills

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:45 pm

ft_critical wrote:Next skill question. How does one move around in the bunch? Watching videos, there is a fair bit of movement in all directions. People at the bottom of the track seem to have priority and anyone above has to move out of their way if they come up the bank - it seems?
Generally someone has to commit to flogging themselves on the outer part of the track - depending what's going on there might be single file or double file, or a mess. Then there are the leechers that try to follow that guy and snag the win and then maybe a few more after that. The guys in the normal bunch then have to respond by speeding up to prevent and overtake (inside has right of way) or in some cases the guy at the front is already flogged and fall t othe back while positions 2 and 3 go with them. Track positioning is half the fun and challenge.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks Foo and Calvin. I figured this is not something you can learn on a forum, only place to learn is on the track. I read some advice - for Roadies changing to the track - that they should stay out of the game and spend time to learn. Having the physical ability to be in the mix is not important. Apparently, it is a longish learning curve - track skills that is.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:40 pm

ft, I think you are under rating yourself. You have considerable road skills so its only adaption, you will find the learning curve shorter than you are anticipating
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:51 pm

mikesbytes wrote:ft, I think you are under rating yourself. You have considerable road skills so its only adaption, you will find the learning curve shorter than you are anticipating
Thanks Mike, might see you at Tempe.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm

So I have asked this of fellow riders, probably the answer is “it depends” or “use judgement”.
How do you safely and effectively drop down from the top of the track to the sprinters line from the middle of the pack? Here, I am really thinking of a group match sprint, you are mid pack and riders start dropping down at high speed in front and behind you.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Well if you are in the middle of them, you just go with the flow.. :wink: That's of course if I am understanding the question properly. :idea:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:33 pm

That's the way I read it too Foo
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am

mikesbytes wrote:That's the way I read it too Foo
8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Okay. So I gave it a go. I tried to out kick the rider in front dropping down. When I saw that wasn’t happening I backed off and went around on the outside.

Constantly looking and being aware seems to be the critical basic skill atm. I spent the weekend watching the Olympic replays which helped. I watched all the crash videos too which helped.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 am

ft_critical wrote:Okay. So I gave it a go. I tried to out kick the rider in front dropping down. When I saw that wasn’t happening I backed off and went around on the outside.

Constantly looking and being aware seems to be the critical basic skill atm. I spent the weekend watching the Olympic replays which helped. I watched all the crash videos too which helped.
This is and always has been the critical point of racing Track. :idea: Tune your ears in for listening to different sounds of what is going on around you also, because many times you will hear the jump/attack before you see it. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km