Race Report Thread

RobertL

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby RobertL » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:44 am

jules21 wrote:
RobertL wrote:Did my first ever Qld Classic Road Series race yesterday. The Darren Smith Classic at the Hinze Dam. Men's Masters D Grade - came 2nd last!

Had fun, though!!
well done Robert! hope you had fun.

I competed in the Charles Coin road race yesterday out at Laidley. Masters C. that would have been a better race for you to start racing in - as it was flatter than the Darren Smith (from what you say).

I got 10th, sprinting in a few metres behind the winner in a bunch kick. I love the buzz of jostling for position in a tight bunch. It's highly addictive. Unfortunately I have no real sprint.
Yeah - I was going to do that race, but had a family event. Anyway, I have dipped my toe into the water and will probably do more next year. I'm just about to sign up for the Tour de Brisbane gran fondo again.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 am

I won gold/came 1st in the Qld state road race champs yesterday, Masters 1 age group, hosted at Kingaroy.

120km road race with 1500m of climbing, it was 4 loops of a 30km circuit, and had a 4km gravel section.

I attacked the bunch at the start of the 3rd lap with 60km to go and rode to the line solo, with nearly 1 minute on 2nd place.

Pretty happy with that. :)

Ride here > https://www.strava.com/activities/2689149902

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Well done :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Top effort :P

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Good work Adam!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:05 pm

BTW, I didn't take part, but I looked at the results and I noticed that my age group placegetters - Masters 5 - were faster than Masters 3 or 4. :shock: :shock: :shock:

How am I supposed to compete with that!?!?!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 am

RobertL wrote:BTW, I didn't take part, but I looked at the results and I noticed that my age group placegetters - Masters 5 - were faster than Masters 3 or 4.
Masters 3 and 4 are 40 to 49 year olds, still juggling family and work commitments. Masters 5 are 50 to 54, their kids are older, least family commitments and heading towards retirement. They have far more time for training and more cash to spend (coach, better equipment etc).

I am Masters 6, heading towards 7. The number of riders in those groups who have retired and have the life style/training regime of a professional cyclist.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

nickobec wrote:
RobertL wrote:BTW, I didn't take part, but I looked at the results and I noticed that my age group placegetters - Masters 5 - were faster than Masters 3 or 4.
Masters 3 and 4 are 40 to 49 year olds, still juggling family and work commitments. Masters 5 are 50 to 54, their kids are older, least family commitments and heading towards retirement. They have far more time for training and more cash to spend (coach, better equipment etc).

I am Masters 6, heading towards 7. The number of riders in those groups who have retired and have the life style/training regime of a professional cyclist.
Time to get myself a coach, then...

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:15 pm

RobertL wrote:BTW, I didn't take part, but I looked at the results and I noticed that my age group placegetters - Masters 5 - were faster than Masters 3 or 4. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't read to much into it. Yes many older masters have been around the game for a while or raced when younger and know whats required. Or it can be just the race on the day ie M5 went from the gun while M3 M4 had a chat, played some games etc. Just get in there race and enjoy. Yes training and maybe coaching (i would not bother) but regular racing you get to know others strengths and weakness, who's wheel grab in a sprint, who to not let go and chase down, who to let go etc. Often the strong riders on your training rides cant race for love or money.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am

adam0bmx0 wrote:I won gold/came 1st in the Qld state road race champs yesterday, Masters 1 age group, hosted at Kingaroy.

120km road race with 1500m of climbing, it was 4 loops of a 30km circuit, and had a 4km gravel section.

I attacked the bunch at the start of the 3rd lap with 60km to go and rode to the line solo, with nearly 1 minute on 2nd place.

Pretty happy with that. :)

Ride here > https://www.strava.com/activities/2689149902
Good stuff. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am

RobertL wrote:BTW, I didn't take part, but I looked at the results and I noticed that my age group placegetters - Masters 5 - were faster than Masters 3 or 4. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Try harder. :idea: :) I have a saying in cycling............Never underestimate the Old Bastards! :lol: They may not have the top end in the sprint but they sure as hell can maintain a good pace throughout a race. :wink: I've hard youngins take me for granted and given them a big surprise when it has come to a sprint and I'm talkin up to 40yrs younger. :twisted:

Consistency in training is what will get you there and using your grey matter. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 am

nickobec wrote:

This is the killer for those that are still working. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm

[quote="nickobec]The number of riders in those groups who have retired and have the life style/training regime of a professional cyclist.[/quote]

Yep. That would be me :P

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 am

Paul B wrote:[quote="nickobec]The number of riders in those groups who have retired and have the life style/training regime of a professional cyclist.
Yep. That would be me :P[/quote][/quote]

Dirtbag, I hate you! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Paul B wrote:[quote="nickobec]The number of riders in those groups who have retired and have the life style/training regime of a professional cyclist.
Yep. That would be me :P
[/quote]

Dirtbag, I hate you! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:

Foo[/quote][/quote][/quote]
:lol: The issue for me is recovery. I’d like to average 14 hours a week but fatigue is the limiting factor unfortunately.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 am

I know all about fatigue only to well. :cry:

Foo
Goal 6000km

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Hmmm...not sure about those times? M5 = 2.30.21 M4 = 2.27.44 M3 = 2.26.35 ?????

I know because I won M4 :)
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm

If anyone is interested. wrap up of the recent Masters Queensland Road Teams Series (QRTS):

http://crosswindmissile.blogspot.com/20 ... teams.html
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:49 am

I didn't race yesterday, but I was corner marshall at the Lifecycle "Racing to Break the Cycle of Domestic Violence 2019" event yesterday.

At one point I was trying to use my folding camp chair as a a shelter against the rain and the HAIL that was deluging me while the race was going on. :shock: :shock: :shock:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am

thearthurdog wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm
If anyone is interested. wrap up of the recent Masters Queensland Road Teams Series (QRTS):

Nice write up.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

thearthurdog wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Good read, well done on 4th overall and the podiums!

I competed in the 'elite' QRTS series, being 33, it was hard going!! Shame the age was bumped to 35+ to be classed as a master, but hey ho.

I did manage a 13th on stage 2 in Round 2, the one with the 2 big hills each lap and the horrible gravel section!