Backpack for Commuting

miller0

Backpack for Commuting

Postby miller0 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi All,

I’m after recommendations on specific backpacks suitable for commuting. I need to carry a laptop once a week, and for all weekdays, I need space to carry my thermals, gloves, pants etc home in again that afternoon (I’m in Canberra...). The commute is 13.5km each way.

Can anybody recommend a bag which might suit?

10speedsemiracer

Re: Backpack for Commuting

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am

Ortlieb are one of the better manufcturers in this segment, and something like this :

https://www.pushys.com.au/ortlieb-messe ... c-bag.html

might be just the thing. Not cheap though.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am

What's your budget?

Skin Grows Back are an Aussie company who make awesome backpacks (amongst other things) that will outlive humans: https://skingrowsback.com/collections/backpacks

I like the look of the Life Behind Bars stuff from Jakarta: https://lbbjkt.com/backpack

Other cycling specific bag manufacturers: Chrome, T-Level, Mission Workshop

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 08, 2019 11:29 am

I dislike riding with a backpack - I have an ortlieb like pictured above, but rarely use it because my back sweats profusely when I use it.

I have since bought a black wolf tempo which has a frame that keeps a air gap between the mesh on your back & the backpack
I got it from Anaconda, but no doubt there are plenty of retailers.

Deuter do something similar.

Neither are as waterproof as he Ortlieb however & when rain is possible I put my laptop etc in a drybag inside the backpack.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm

I also swear by the mesh + air gap style of backpack for commuting. Currently using the vaude splashback, have previously used the Deuter equivalent. Much more comfortable sweat-wise than conventional backpacks.

The vaude passes the ultimate test in that when it's lightly loaded, I'll occasionally have to ask myself whether I've remembered to strap it on, given how little you feel it.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed May 08, 2019 2:22 pm

I use the Ortlieb backpack and have no issues with sweaty back. The bag does have padding to create a small air gap (pic below). It is also fully water proof. The canvas material is tough and rugged, I struggle to find any worn spots after 3 years.

But the messenger bag with a single roll-top is like a Tardis. It cavernous and only has a small pouch inside. So if you drop arm warmers, lights, batteries into it, you won't find them till some days later :lol:

I do find backpacks disrupting airflow of winter jackets with vents, though. So just fyi ..

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Wed May 08, 2019 3:38 pm

I bought one of these ages ago. Its been commuting with me for a few years, travelled with it. All sorts really;

https://www.blackwolf.com.au/store/pack ... 5-daypack/

Its comfy on my 10km commute, will take a laptop easily. It is 35 litres and I can jam quite a bit in. When I go for a swim before work I'll have my lunch, bike lock, swimming towel (bath towel size not not microfibre), goggles, pool buoy and hand paddles. Its pretty full with all that in it though.

Your best bet might be to work out how much capacity you need and go from there.

I like it a lot. I get a sweaty back in summer but don't care as I'm riding in bike clothes anyway.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

GusG

Postby GusG » Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 am

I have a couple of Deuter bags with the mesh air gap. Used on long walks and commuting as well. Very comfortable and much less sweating on the back. I got it from Macpac stores (used to be Ray's Outdoors). Some bike shops also stock them (typically the smaller ones)

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun May 19, 2019 7:05 am

I'll just rain on the parade a tiny bit... A talk by a trauma surgeon at (I think) RPA to the NSW Motorcycle Council said that one of the major causes of spinal injury in motorcyclists was from backpacks. If you land with force in a way that the back can hyperextend over the backpack that can be very nasty indeed. A full pack that forces the back to bend is bad, and one with hard contents that can be driven into the back or catch a verterbra or break and drive bits in are also dangerous.

It may be that bicycle crashes don't have the same speed and therefore the same force as motorcycle ones but consider the height you fall from and speed downhill. Be interesting to hear what they say about back injuries in cyclists!

Saw a guy the other day riding a bicycle wearing what looked like a hard case backpack. After that talk it made me wince.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm

thanks for the heads up zebee. never thought of that.

BudT

Postby BudT » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:30 am

I'm not sure if you can get Osprey packs in Australia, but I really like my Osprey Escapist 32. It is great for commuting with laptop, lunch, change of clothes, etc. I've used all manner of carriers, from Ortlieb panniers, convertible packs, messenger bags (cool but kill my shoulder and neck), etc. And I always come back to a good backpack. Having tried many, this is my go-to.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:04 am

GusG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 am
I have a couple of Deuter bags with the mesh air gap. Used on long walks and commuting as well. Very comfortable and much less sweating on the back.
Ditto. My 28L one fits a laptop and A4 reports.

But, frankly, backpacks suck once they are loaded up. Panniers definitely catch more wind and having just one can be a bit annoying (as the bike is then not symmetrical)

Current laptop setup is a ghetto version of the Topeak MTX Office Bag. Stole the connection bits from an MTX trunk bag and added them to an old laptop bag. (I mention this as it appears the OfficeBag is now in short supply)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ