Shoulder pain after crash

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mogwaiboi

Shoulder pain after crash

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi All

I hit the deck on gravel nearly a week ago, amongst all the gravel rash I instinctively put my arm down and hurt my shoulder. I only get pain when I lift it above my head, so getting dressed is interesting at the moment! It feels weaker overall as well, and I can't get out of the saddle and put pressure on it which is very frustrating. Otherwise using it is OK. Just wondering if I should be icing it or using heat? I assume that massage won't help in this instance? Stretching? Any other help or guidance would be much appreciated :D
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

find_bruce

Re: Shoulder pain after crash

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm

I feel your pain I had only just recovered my left shoulder when I fell skiing & injured my right- am off to see shoulder surgeon tomorrow

Simple rule is don’t do any movement or activity that hurts. Ice supposedly helps for pain, but not for me

There are a bunch of things that can go wrong wth your shoulder- get some professional advice sooner rather than putting it off
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm

I've done similar in the past. Obviously the best advice (as per above) is to see a professional.

If it is like mine was, then it's likely to be a rotor cuff injury. I believe it's a soft tissue injury, so usually takes about 3 months or more to no longer be painful and can take up to a year to be as good as before the injury.

In my case it was a matter of time to heal and stretching upward daily until I could finally regain full movement. It was uncomfortable (at best) to do, but worth it in the long run.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:12 pm

I had similar. Very sore to lift arm above head, was almost frozen shoulder. I had a heap of bursitis going on from the impact and frayed supraspinatus tendon
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810