Finding the right bike trainer

Pinarello-Dogma

Finding the right bike trainer

Postby Pinarello-Dogma » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:20 am

Hey cyclist, how are we all? So I am in the market for a trainer... not fussed if it's smart or not, regardless I can use it on riding platform without the real. What are people using out there? Im leaning more towards wheel on as I keep my bike on display 8) thanks in advanced guys and girls... This is not what's better, this is what you find works for you. Thank you.

g-boaf

Re: Finding the right bike trainer

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 am

The wheel on rollers trainers are a bit of a pain. The smart trainers like Tacx neo or Kickr are less problematic- not wearing out tyres, no slipping.

I’m using a Neo heaps at the moment - running from a laptop computer with PerfPRO studio. That’s how I’m getting my fitness back after being crashed out.

That software has inbuilt sessions but I’ve created my own workouts.

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:38 pm

I use an Elite Rampa and am generally happy with it - have it combined with Zwift and stay fit that way. Cycling outside is definitely nicer but when the weather is crap or when there are too many pollen in the air (which we have at the moment in the Netherlands) I am glad I can cycle indoors.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:55 pm

I am a bit retro I love my Kurt Kinetic Rock n' Roll tis not smart and it is wheel on...but oh it feels so good...

Super simple to just pop the bike in and pedal away...no mucking around with pulling wheels on or off etc...

Does it wear the tire yeah a little but not enough that I am worried if I am hitting it hard on the trainer like doing Time Crunched Cyclist I have put a trainer tire on before but normally don't bother and I do two trainer sessions a week.

I think the advantage of a smart trainer is that you can be entertained while you ride but really if you have a plan and need to hit some numbers the rock n' roll will do fine.

Note: I have not used a lot of smart trainers so take that with a grain of salt and I a scared to commit to one as the RnR feels great.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:13 pm

The kickr and neo are both pretty good.

Having a smart trainer is a godsend when you are recovering and badly need to get fitness back in a hurry.

I’ve built a whole library of workouts - I just load the software, choose the one I want and hit the start button. When done it auto uploads to the sites I use and sends me an email report.

It also tracks trends and notifies me if I have bettered my average power in some way. Really useful.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:33 am

For me I have built a library of workouts as well on my Garmin that I then smash out on the trainer so it is not just smart trainers that allow that.

Smart trainers do give you more options such as “incline” though which could be neat.

It is horses for courses for me though is a smart trainer “better” yes probably - can you still build killer fitness and train without one 100%.

I don’t think you need spend $1500 on a smart trainer to train indoors...if I were to go a smart trainer I am drawn to the kicker somewhat so there maybe be one in my garage eventually.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Pinarello-Dogma

Postby Pinarello-Dogma » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 am

Sorry guys, been flat out and haven't had a chance to be here. Thank you so much to everyone who posted and gave there input. I ended up with a tacx. Once again, thank you so much for the useful info

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:55 am

Pinarello-Dogma wrote:Sorry guys, been flat out and haven't had a chance to be here. Thank you so much to everyone who posted and gave there input. I ended up with a tacx. Once again, thank you so much for the useful info
Which Tacx?

Pinarello-Dogma

Postby Pinarello-Dogma » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Which Tacx?[/quote]

Hi mate, went the neo 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Pinarello-Dogma wrote:
Hi mate, went the neo 2
Out of curiosity what did they change on the Neo 2 versus the original Neo?

I’m using my Neo a lot, and it seems to be working. I’m getting PRs for average power and NP.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:13 pm

Pinarello-Dogma wrote: Hi mate, went the neo 2
lol, starting at the bottom end then... :)

Have fun with it. Would love to try one out.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:29 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Pinarello-Dogma wrote:
Hi mate, went the neo 2

I’m using my Neo a lot, and it seems to be working. I’m getting PRs for average power and NP.
They added some colour.

DCR covers the changes:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/12/tac ... l-overview

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks Alex.

So, potential for integration with that kickr climb. Hmm - it would be interesting to try that.

I just put a higher block under the front wheel for my trainer ride today to change things up a bit.

Pinarello-Dogma

Postby Pinarello-Dogma » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am

g-boaf wrote:
Pinarello-Dogma wrote:
Hi mate, went the neo 2

Hey mate, sorry about the last reply... just under 2k not negotiable.

dare007

Postby dare007 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Kickr Core, quite and not super expensive.