Merida Reacto >> CAAD 8 - Upgrade?

kleggy

Merida Reacto >> CAAD 8 - Upgrade?

Postby kleggy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:38 am

Heyo,

Currently I'm riding a 10sp 2012 Merida Reacto 907 with a set of Mavic Krysoum Elites and have been enjoying it. It's super stiff and feels fast.

I've always wanted to swap over to a CAAD at some point, as I've heard there ride qualities are awesome, and a move away from Carbon doesn't worry me.

Lately I have been riding more, so the thought of moving over to something perhaps more comfortable had been weighing in on my mind. This year I'd also love to upgrade to 11sp and carbon wheels as well. I have also purchased a BB30 power meters that's ready to go onto whatever future bike may come up, so that's sitting there waiting to be used. I have no issues with purchasing a well looked after frame over buying new, so constantly looking out for used CAADs, size 60. They don't come up often, that's for sure.

So after that long winded intro, the question.

Locally has popped up at 2014 CAAD 8 frameset in the beautiful raw finish with a kogel BB for cheap.

Would it be an upgrade to go from the Merida to a CAAD 8, with 11Sp, power meters and carbon wheels? Or is the CAAD 8 older technology. I know their 10, 12 & 13s are awesome. I was thinking the price id pay for a newer frame, I could have an older model frame with all the goodies.

Thoughts?

Calvin27

Re: Merida Reacto >> CAAD 8 - Upgrade?

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:05 am

kleggy wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:38 am
the thought of moving over to something perhaps more comfortable
That could mean a lot of things
- Geometry more relaxed?
- Larger tyres for better comfort?
- More frame compliance, especially the rear end?

If you want a more relaxed geometry, the synapse is the way to go, also takes slightly wider tyres as well and has a lot better compliance. The caad is quite stiff, not as stiff as the reacto but it's not that big of a difference imo.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike