Australian Cycling Forums reaches 30,000 members

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australian Cycling Forums reaches 30,000 members

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:28 pm

30,000 is a quite a milestone and BNA welcomes over 100,000 (individual) people each month.
Here are some of the stats for BNA membership and insightful details that you may not have known.

In earlier days, for every 4 visitors, 1 was a registered member. The stats have shifted as online behaviour changes and people are less likely to engage so now for every 5 visitors to the site, 1 is a registered member.

The 'viewing times' per page remain high so people are reading the content and on average spend 2 minutes on the site. In context, if you consider your own surfing behaviour then for most sites an average time is less than 15 seconds. For the published article on BNA, the average viewing time for a single article is high - over 3min30sec per article which is a healthy indication that the reviews and articles are being read.

I estimate 80,000 people have registered as members of the Australian Cycling Forums (excluding bots) and over time the members have been frequently culled for example to remove people who didn't complete membership, people who completed membership but never logged in and also deactivation of accounts for inactivity. It is scary removing 15,000 accounts in one go and hoping there are no false-positives.

The 30,000 active member account will need another cleanout soon.. though the forum also has a lot of registered members who regularly visit but don't post, some of whom have regular visitors for up to 15 years.

Currently, 14,000 of the active members have posted and a select group of 1,500 members have had more than 100 posts. 260 members have more than 1,000 posts and 14 have over 10,000 posts. The record holders are:

Mulger Bill - 29,060
il padrone - 22,931 (no longer active)
Aushiker - 22,248
mikesbytes - 20,310
sogood - 17,165

On average there are 277 posts per day - this stat is an average since this (version) of the forum started in 2005. Beforehand there were two forums as predecessors on Bicycles Network Australia.

----

A lot of stats but there is more value in the content and connections

This forum and the content helps thousands of people daily who read the posts are are informed. When people post, often they are asking or answer a question other people have... and now the answer is available for all. The forum has welcomed a lot of people who have started riding bikes, getting help choosing and buying a bike along with improving skills and resolving problems.

In cycling advocacy and with a good dose of hefty debate the forum plays an important role in highlighting issues, connecting people and supporting initiatives and other advocacy groups. And for cycling businesses the forums are a goldmine - people make buying decisions based on the input while they are kept in check when problems arise... and this also saves people from the dodgy business.

In overview - in providing a free resource for people that fosters cycling, the forums do a pretty good job. And the forums have been consistently operated in a fair manner in the interests of the community - respecting different views and enabling mature and polite discussion. On a personal note, I have met a lot of forum members, sometimes by chance and the positive input is fantastic.

---

Thank You

The value of the forums for cycling in Australia has also been because of the tremendous support from the forum moderators and thanks go to mikesbytes, Mulger bill, Boognoss, im_no_pro, find_bruce, Kalgrm, Kev365428, m@ and thomashouseman.

Also past moderators have played an important role with their and thanks go to europa, Missy24 and Aushiker

And thank you for reading and for your ongoing interest and support.

Christopher Jones
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Re: Australian Cycling Forums reaches 30,000 members

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Cheers Christopher, you gotta be proud !!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:15 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:53 pm
Cheers Christopher, you gotta be proud !!!
+1.

Personally, I like the population here.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm

On fire mate. 8)

Wonder what's become of Missy n Aushiker? :?:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:56 pm

You have done a great job with this forum Chris, and the conscientious moderation keeps everything civil and friendly. Love BNA!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 am

Aushiker is still around, head over to the WA forum.

I had a bit if contact with Missy, less recently and she has been a fantastic advocate for women’s cycling though women participation has been a bit slower.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 am

The 30,000 active member account will need another cleanout soon.. though the forum also has a lot of registered members who regularly visit but don't post, some of whom have regular visitors for up to 15 years.

How many posts per annum will qualify me to stay and not be deleted?
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:57 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 am
Aushiker is still around, head over to the WA forum.

I had a bit if contact with Missy, less recently and she has been a fantastic advocate for women’s cycling though women participation has been a bit slower.
That's good that Missy is still doing that. We had a bit of a........................hmmmmmmmmmm discussion early in the piece but then she realised that I wasn't talkin BS and apologised n got on well after that. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:36 pm

Thank you, for the forum. Got into this because was (then) semi unemployed. Never regretted it.
This makes post No. 217. Only thousands more to go.
D V R
Still Dreaming.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:53 am

Missed this one earlier. Well done Chris.