Can I race on 90s track shamals?

Danter

Can I race on 90s track shamals?

Postby Danter » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:29 am

I have a pair of 90s shamal track wheels and am wondering if I will be allowed to race on them at Australian Veteran Cycling Council clubs? Seems like their rules don't prohibit them like cycling Australia clubs might. Wondering why I might ride them? That is because they are my old race wheels from back in the day and I would like to race track again.

foo on patrol

Re: Can I race on 90s track shamals?

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:02 am

There is no reason as to why you can't still use them. :wink: Why would you think that you can't? :? Clean old glue off and glue new rubber on and off you go. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Danter

Postby Danter » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:58 am

Just figured they might not be allowed due them being pre UCI wheel rules. Glad to hear you think they can roll once again :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm

Danter wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:58 am
Just figured they might not be allowed due them being pre UCI wheel rules. Glad to hear you think they can roll once again :D

They are the normal 700c wheels, aren't and not 650c? :?: :? I have a set of 19mm Wolber rims that are laced to Shimano Durace hubs that I have raced on many times. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Danter

Postby Danter » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm
Danter wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:58 am

They are the normal 700c wheels, aren't and not 650c? :?: :? I have a set of 19mm Wolber rims that are laced to Shimano Durace hubs that I have raced on many times. :wink:

Foo
Yes they are 700c

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 am

Well you have no problems then. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am

Yes no problems and still coveted wheels, especially by juniors as they weren't allowed to race carbon wheels. Still extremely fast wheels!

Just add fresh rubber freshly glued and enjoy!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am

I see that AVCC have updated their website but not their rules. You are only allowed to use wheels that are 3 storeys high. (6.5m or 7.0m)
There is no requirement that the wheels be the same size, so depending on the definition of "conventional" - Lo-Pro pursuit bikes are fine too as long as they have drop bars for bunch racing.
AVCC Racing Rules wrote: d) Only equipment sanctioned and approved by the AVCC. Inc. shall be permitted in races under its
patronage. The bicycle shall be a conventional triangular frame made from materials suitable for
bicycle construction. The maximum length shall not be more than 185cm. and a width of 50cm.
Either 650cm, or 700cm wheels, and drop handlebars shall be used.
For Road events two efficient hand brakes and a freewheel shall be used; Disc or conventional
brakes may be used; Spinacci and ‘Tri’ bars are not to be used.
For Road Time Trials it may have either a fixed wheel or freewheel system, standard time trial
handlebars with handlebar extensions and elbow rests.
For Track racing, in Sprints and Scratch races it shall have a fixed rear wheel. In Time Trials and
Pursuits freewheel multiple gears, handlebar extensions and elbow rests may be used.
‘Flat Bars’ (Mountain bike style) shall not be permitted in any of the aforementioned disciplines.
Handlebar ends must be plugged.

Cheers,

Cameron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am

ironhanglider wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am
I see that AVCC have updated their website but not their rules. You are only allowed to use wheels that are 3 storeys high. (6.5m or 7.0m)

Cheers,

Cameron
I'd suggest lodging a protest next race, but you'd need to be at an outdoor track to ride the correct size wheels :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Alas it has been a few years since I was able to attend an AVCC race. I moved to Victoria and all the VVCC clubs have moved back under the AusCycling umbrella. Alas I have to abide by UCI rules.

It doesn't affect me much since my 9kg steel bike, is still less than 8% of total mass, but if I was a climby type, the AVCC rules have no problem with sub 5kg wonder bikes. :D This means that the old bikies can compete fiercely at what they do best - spending money on meaningless 'performance upgrades'.

Cheers,

Cameron